Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Smile 20s and 30s in OA with 100lbs to lose

Hi,

I'm a 30 year old woman in program who is working on giving up over 100 lbs. I haven't met many people in program my age who have this kind of weight to lose, and I would love to have some e-mail or phone buddies to talk with. Let me know if you're interested!

Thanks,
Emily
eroslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/210/130

Height: 5'5

Hi Emily
I am 31 and 5'5. I have about 60 pounds to lose. I am interested in having an email buddy to check in with daily. My email is my screen name at yahoo.com
lasttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 296

Height: 5'8"

I'm in my 30's and I started dealing with my eating disorder with 100 lbs of extra weight. I find that OA "100 pound" meetings have a special way of making me feel like I'm among people who get it. Sometimes, the thinner women in OA can be soooooo clueless about what it is to be really large - all of the social connotations and the everyday practical issues, as well as the way that our bodies are affected differently then theirs. Almost all of us have other medical conditions to complicate our recovery. I have problems with low blood sugar that kick off migraines. Studies show that very large people lose weight differently than people who are only a little out of shape. It feels isolating for me when people speak in HORROR of the 167 peak weight that they once gained, before coming to OA. And then they look around for confirmation that this is, indeed, horrible. I would LOVE to be 167. In fact, that's thinner than I would aspire to be. Its also true that most of our members are older. But you are not alone. There are plenty of us out here. I think that people tend to be older when they come to OA because for many of us, it takes many years before the disease progresses to the point where you have no choice to deal with it. I also remind myself that just because a person is thin, doesn't mean that their eating disorder isn't as bad or worse than mine. In fact, a lot of the things these women did to keep themselves thin despite the binge eating is really harmful - Like fasts and vomiting. I'm grateful my disease never went there. It can cause harm that goes way beyond the numbers on a scale. When people are still focusing on the weight, reporting actual number in meetings, I try to remember that this might be their disease talking and have compassion for them. But its hard. I'm can be a very judgmental person when I let myself be.

If you'd still like a buddy in her 30's who has passed through the first (and maybe 2nd) gateway of fat, just let me know. I'm not a regular around here, but I can upon this post while surfing, and I've set it to notify me if you respond.
blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 318/ticker/180

Height: 5'8''

Hi Emily,

I'm pretty much looking for the same thing. I've been yo-yo-ing for years, was at my heaviest at 19, ~320 lbs, got down to 198 by 24 and am back at 318. I need to lose at least 100 lbs, ideally 138 and then re-evaluate. I'd like to have an email buddy also. I'm pretty skilled at losing weight, unfortunately I seem to be even better at gaining it.

Some of my challenges: caring after a day or two, feeling deprived, feeling bitter about feeling deprived, wondering why I bother, etc... But deep down I know there's a point and that I can do it. One day at a time.

Anyway, glad to have found your post... let me know if you want to be thread buddies or however this works.

Melissa
melfitstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #5  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Hi! I too have over 100lbs to lose. I just turned 28 and decided enough was enough already. I don't think I will be able to do tho alone so I am hoping that the community here is going to be just the ticket. I just signed up but I am already impressed with the number of active users and the many many new posts! This seems like a perfect place to keep each other motivated!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 403/356.8/165

Height: 5'11"

Hi there, I'd happily be anyone's buddy I think it's a great option for those struggling with weight. I'm Karri, 31, and have over 100 pounds to lose. I'm actually planning on going to my first physical OA meeting this week. Honestly I'm terrified.
Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #7  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

I've been seriously considering going to an OA meeting. If I can find one to go to in the next few days...I might just do it.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/247/178

Height: 5.3

Hi everyone..I am new to OA but not 3 fat chicks... last year May thru October I lost 50 lbs and got down to 228 doing low carb then i just completely got off track until March 20th (last week) when I went to the doctor and my weight was back up to 252.6 (my high weight was 278 last May)so here I go again. Hope everyone is doing well! This time I have joined OA
kmstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/247/178

Height: 5.3

I would love a buddy, I am 36 , mom of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blog View Post
I'm in my 30's and I started dealing with my eating disorder with 100 lbs of extra weight. I find that OA "100 pound" meetings have a special way of making me feel like I'm among people who get it. Sometimes, the thinner women in OA can be soooooo clueless about what it is to be really large - all of the social connotations and the everyday practical issues, as well as the way that our bodies are affected differently then theirs. Almost all of us have other medical conditions to complicate our recovery. I have problems with low blood sugar that kick off migraines. Studies show that very large people lose weight differently than people who are only a little out of shape. It feels isolating for me when people speak in HORROR of the 167 peak weight that they once gained, before coming to OA. And then they look around for confirmation that this is, indeed, horrible. I would LOVE to be 167. In fact, that's thinner than I would aspire to be. Its also true that most of our members are older. But you are not alone. There are plenty of us out here. I think that people tend to be older when they come to OA because for many of us, it takes many years before the disease progresses to the point where you have no choice to deal with it. I also remind myself that just because a person is thin, doesn't mean that their eating disorder isn't as bad or worse than mine. In fact, a lot of the things these women did to keep themselves thin despite the binge eating is really harmful - Like fasts and vomiting. I'm grateful my disease never went there. It can cause harm that goes way beyond the numbers on a scale. When people are still focusing on the weight, reporting actual number in meetings, I try to remember that this might be their disease talking and have compassion for them. But its hard. I'm can be a very judgmental person when I let myself be.

If you'd still like a buddy in her 30's who has passed through the first (and maybe 2nd) gateway of fat, just let me know. I'm not a regular around here, but I can upon this post while surfing, and I've set it to notify me if you respond.
kmstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #10  

Talking Looking for a friend for encouragement!

Hi, I live in Cincinnati, OH and I just turned 34, and I am 5'2" and weigh 300lbs. My goal is to lose half of my body weight. I would like to be able to email or text someone who understands what it is like sometimes. It's not necessarily that I eat a lot, I also have a job where I sit all day, and have been on different medicines for over 10 years for arthritis which you usually don't get until you're in your 70's. I am hoping to maybe find someone close, or if you live far away, someone that likes to text or just communicate. I like animals, I am a graphic designer (if you ever need anything), or would just like to chat, please email me at squirrel3813 at yahoo.com Thanks!
squirrel6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 266/238.1/130

Height: 5'1

Hey I live in CA. I've been going to OA meetings for 2 weeks. I was so scared at first. I found a sponsor during the first meeting. And I've been abstinent for 5 days now! I have 117lbs to lose. You can call or text me at six five oh two eight three six three eight four.
ladykahlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/168.8/135

Height: 5'5

Hi,
I'm new to 3FC and I am considering attending my first OA meeting. I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I'm 5'5 and currently weight 168. about 8 years ago I lost 100lbs and I was down to 138. I have been yo-yoing the same 30lbs for 5 years or so. I am a stress eater, and sometimes drinker, but moslty I like cookies. I'm getting married in October and as of right now I now longer fit into my wedding dress (NIGHTMARE!). I need to drop (at least) a dress size before October. More importantly I need to drop the extra weight so I can continue to enjoy the outdoor activities I love so much and stop feeling like the "fat girl". I need motivation and support during my "down" times which appear to be all the time these days. So much going on at work and at home prepping for the wedding. There are days I don't think my mouth ever stops chewing. Help! I would love a good email to help keep me in line!

Also, has anyone here attended an OA meeting? I would like to try it out but I'm nervous/anxious about going. I'm not really a social person and the thought of getting in front of total strangers really stresses me out. I would love to hear from anyone with experience/insight into OA.

Thanks!
aebrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 296

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aebrey View Post
Hi,
I'm new to 3FC and I am considering attending my first OA meeting. I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I'm 5'5 and currently weight 168. about 8 years ago I lost 100lbs and I was down to 138. I have been yo-yoing the same 30lbs for 5 years or so. I am a stress eater, and sometimes drinker, but moslty I like cookies. I'm getting married in October and as of right now I now longer fit into my wedding dress (NIGHTMARE!). I need to drop (at least) a dress size before October. More importantly I need to drop the extra weight so I can continue to enjoy the outdoor activities I love so much and stop feeling like the "fat girl". I need motivation and support during my "down" times which appear to be all the time these days. So much going on at work and at home prepping for the wedding. There are days I don't think my mouth ever stops chewing. Help! I would love a good email to help keep me in line!

Also, has anyone here attended an OA meeting? I would like to try it out but I'm nervous/anxious about going. I'm not really a social person and the thought of getting in front of total strangers really stresses me out. I would love to hear from anyone with experience/insight into OA.

Thanks!
The good news is that you will not be asked to speak in front of people if you go to a meeting. That thing where they force a newbie into a podium in the front of the room never happens, except in movies, as far as I'm aware. We sit in a circle. If you don't want to speak, just say "pass." That's acceptable and even expected from newbies. As for wether OA is right for you, I can't say. There's nothing like it if the 12 steps are what you need, but its not for everyone.
blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Default New to OA

Hi everyone. I see that people post periodically.

I am new to OA and unfortunately there are no meetings anywhere close to me. I am looking for anyone who would be willing to be an e-mail buddy who would be willing to help me stay accountable.

I'm 32, 5'5" and weight 320 pounds. So I have at least 150 lbs to lose!

Good luck all!
cldavis04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #15  

Hi Emily and cldavis and everyone else,

I'm 32, and I also have 100+ pounds to lose. I am relatively new to OA, and I would love to have a buddy to email or chat with. If you message me, I can send you my email address.

I'm also new to these boards, and I am looking forward to getting more information and support here. I was amazed to find this thread first, as it was exactly what I was looking for!
EquestrianK is offline   Reply With Quote