Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #1  
Super Jade

S/C/G: 264/222/154

Height: 5ft7

Default Smoking and over eating, MAKE ME STOP!

I think the title says it all!! Need to stop eating when i want a smoke and smoking when i want to eat!!
Starting to think cigarettes is the lesser of two evils when theyre both as bad as each other....atleast smoking helps make me skinny right? BAD THINKING!!
Any one have the same problem? I need to give up the bad eating and the smoking and it seems impossible to do at the same time because when i wanna diet i smoke and when i wanna quit smoking i eat like a monster.
super jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

I think you could start to think not so much about quitting the two habits but about the reasons why you feel so much anxiety that you need cigarettes or food. Have you seen a therapist about that?

Last edited by inglesita64; 02-20-2012 at 04:18 PM.
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #3  
Super Jade

S/C/G: 264/222/154

Height: 5ft7

Hey, No i havent seen a therapist, never really thought of it as anxiety. I live a pretty good life have a good partner two gorgeous kids, good relationship with my dad, decent friends. only down side is being over weight and i dont need to get into the details of that here because we all know what its like!!
Would a therapist help?
super jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #4  
Ted's Pants!

S/C/G: 223/223/150

Height: 5'5"

I have the same problem. I try to go for breath minter water when I feel the need to eat or smoke. It's not working super well, but I dont really know what else to do.
BananaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #5  
sticking to my diet!

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I stopped smoking......and replaced it with food/eating.
It's a nightmare!!
Sherry88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #6  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Give up the food addiction cycle for now. Steer clear of foods that are your triggers. Mine was sugar, then salty fats. If booze is your trigger, well then steer clear of that too. You might find yourself smoking less if you steer clear of your smoking /food partnership.
smoking is a whole different addiction than foods, IMO.
can you limit the number of cigerettes you smoke per day? Like to under 7?
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/148/140(ATM)

Height: 5'2" on a good day

I know that when it comes to these two things it is the habit of moving your hands that is addictive; specifically the motion of bringing something up to your lips for some sort of interaction (yay oral fixation!)

What I can suggest is replacing that habit with another. What worked for my friend is chewing or sucking on cinnamon sticks whenever she feels the urge to smoke. If you don't like cinnamon sticks you can pick up sugar free lollipops - it feeds into your 'hand-to-mouth' habit without adding too much calories! Plus sucking on a lollipop has a lot of similar actions to smoking (without the nicotine rush though unfortunately.) I had an easier time with lollipops than cinnamon sticks in all honesty.

Last edited by DesertTabby; 03-02-2012 at 09:49 AM.
DesertTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #8  
Canyonlands Fat Chick

S/C/G: 260/260/150

Height: 5'7"

As someone who is both trying to quit smoking and lose weight, it's hard! But you can do it! The only thing about sugar free lollies is that if you eat them instead of smoking, (I smoke 10-15 times a day) the sugar alcohols make your b.m.s, lets say, less than appealing or fun. I suggest tea tree tooth picks. You can find them at health food stores or online. They are cheap, the tea tree oil kills bad mouth bacteria (good for your teeth), and they freshen your breath. It fulfills the hand to mouth action, the hand fiddling, and the chewing/inhaling habits.
katie4473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I know both are bad... but the Japanese have the highest smoking rate and one of the lowest rates of cancer. I definitely think food is the most evil. I'd keep smoking (I know, I know) and switch to whole, nourishing foods. Cancer can't grow without glucose to feed it! (think sugar, grains, flours, etc)....
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #10  

Height: 5'8"

I'm not sure how helpful this is because if someone told me this before I was ready to quit I would completely ignore it.

But...

QUIT SMOKING! You always hear how smoking helps you stay thin. That could possibly hold some truth at the beginning, but for me, it had the complete opposite effect. As a smoker for almost a decade, it got to the point where I constantly craved nicotine. Since I knew I couldn't chain smoke and really didn't want to, I was constantly trying to fill that "need-something" feeling, and the easiest option other than smoking was with food.

The only thing that fixed the awful cycle was to quit. While you may put on a few pounds at first, I find it to be a million times easier to control my diet after I gave up the cigarettes. While I know that's not the case for most people, I was having exactly the issue you were having and it really helped me.

I had quit a few times in the past, and looking back... these were the ONLY times I was remotely successful at losing any weight. I kept picking up smoking and would inevitably put the weight back on. I just recently quit (for good) a few weeks ago and it's been great, so far. But now I have to lose all that weight...

I started smoking when I was 16, and I honestly think I would be at a healthy weight if I never started smoking in the first place.

Hope that helps! I really do understand what a battle it is. Good luck!
missgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 208/162/140

Height: 5"3

I joined the gym and it helped me give up smoking and over eating as I was out of breath, felt horrible and the smoking made that worse and I was thinking about how it was affecting oxygen in my blood and making working out harder, also It was a waste of time for me to go to the gym if I was still in a binge cycle, after a couple of months I started to learn how nothing bad would happen if I stopped comfort eating but that is all very logical couldnt of been done without six months of therapy about a LIFE long problem with crutches so don't expect to snap out of it all at once, tackle one at a time, tackle it slowly it is far better to improve and give up over time than to go full speed ahead and give up a number of weeks or months later.
swissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #12  
Sam-I-Am

S/C/G: 324/see ticker/170

Height: 5'8

HA! i totally have been having an issue with this, i got myself down to around 5-6 cigarettes a day, and when my diet started it quickly shot up to 25+ a day. it made it really hard to excercise!

i had to start making my mother in law ration them out to me. i buy a carton, and i get one pack a day to share with my hubby. it was the only thing i could do to stop myself, i know im not ready to quit smoking yet, but i cant triple what i WAS smoking

try rationing them out. i buy 100's, smoke half and save half for later. it makes them last longer, and makes me feel like i am smoking more then i am. 10 a day is usually more than enough when i know i will not get more until the next morning
samcakes is offline   Reply With Quote