Old 01-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #1  

Default Sponsor????How.......

I have read how people have sponsers, but I do not know how to get a sponsor, which I need! I am a typical over eater, emotional eater, just a plain stuff my face until I can't walk eater! How do I overcome this? I don't know, I do know that if I keep going my 220 pounds will skyrocket to 300 in a blink of an eye! I have four kids and I need to teach them the proper way to eat before it is them typing on this website (which I love), but I don't want that for them! I desperately need to help from ground level all the way to the top.
kellijo232000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #2  
Rebecca

S/C/G: 335/ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Here let me dig up some links and information to help you.
yummymummyOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #3  
Rebecca

Sponsorship

"Sponsors are OA members who are living the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions to the best of their ability. They are willing to share their recovery with other members of the Fellowship and are committed to abstinence.

We ask a sponsor to help us through our program of recovery on all three levels: physical, emotional and spiritual. By working with other members of OA and sharing their experience, strength and hope, sponsors continually renew and reaffirm their own recovery. Sponsors share their program up to the level of their own experience.

Ours is a program of attraction: find a sponsor who has what you want, and ask that person how he or she is achieving it. A member may work with more than one sponsor and may change sponsors at will." from the oa.org website.

Here is some from the recovery group website
http://www.therecoverygroup.org/sponsors.html
There are a number of different ways to get a Sponsor. Here are some of them and we have put them in a reasonable order.

1. Attend a face-to-face meeting of OA and find someone who has what you want.

2. Join a TRG support loop and read the shares. As you find yourself looking forward to the shares of certain members, write him/her privately and establish a dialogue. It may be that you have found a match for a sponsor.

3. After you have been on a home loop for a while, write the loop and let them know you are seeking a sponsor and let the members know what kind of sponsor you're looking for and what kind of sponsee you'll be. You will receive replies and you may find your sponsor among them.

4. The Recovery Sponsor Coordinators regularly send out the Sponsor Directory to all members of the Recovery Group. Look it over and write several and see if there's a match. There may be.

5. Write to the Sponsor Coordinators at:
[email protected]
and request a copy of the Directory and Biographies. Be sure that you let them know which home loop you're a member of. After you have had a chance to review the members of the directory and their biographies, write several and begin sharing back and forth with them.

6. Attend online meetings on IRC in #Recovery and meet other compulsive eaters in real time. Perhaps you will meet your sponsor there.

7. Write:
[email protected] and let them know you are seeking a sponsor. This is a restricted list and no one is on it except those TRG members who are actively taking sponsees. By sending a letter telling about your TRG loop membership and a little bit about yourself and your needs, you may receive several replies from sponsors and choose from among them.

8. Join WTS and begin working the 12-Steps-in-Step-Weeks Step Study. These studies begin on the first day of January, April, July and October. Our sponsors are very familiar with this program and will be happy to work with you on it. Please write [email protected] for a directory and biographies.

9. If someone is seriously interested in getting a sponsor, one of the above ways will result in that. And even after that is done and you and your sponsor are developing this important relationship, The Recovery Group has a loop called Sponsors and Recovery available to discuss sponsor/sponsee issues. It may be that a Sponsor is having difficulty with a sponsee and needs to share anonymously about that with others. Receiving input representing the viewpoints of both sponsors and sponsees can help resolve issues. The same is true with a sponsee. Perhaps they need to ask a question about something their sponsor is doing and need to get the input from others. Sponsors and Recovery is the place to do that. To maintain anonymity, please do not use personal names of either sponsors or sponsees.

10. Bookmark this page:
www.TheRecoveryGroup.org/sponsors.html

Good luck in finding your sponsor. It will be one of the most important things you will ever do for yourself ... and for your recovery.

In service to all,

The Recovery Group Sponsor Program Trusted Servants
www.TheRecoveryGroup.org
www.TheRecoveryGroup.org/sponsors.html
[email protected]

Last edited by yummymummyOA; 01-18-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #4  
Rebecca

Also, on a personal note...
I cannot attend F2F meetings and I attend online daily meetings. I found my sponsor in attending online OA meetings.
I found a leader of a meeting and expressed my desire for a sponsor and she said she might could help me. We talked some and decided we woujld make a good sponsor and sponsee relationship. She is great. Good luck.