Old 06-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Question Lower Carb Not Low Carb

Hello everyone, I'm wondering if anyone does lower carb, but not low carb such as atkins, keto, etc. It seems that I haven't found many people "in between."

I am carb conscious because I'm diabetic. I eat approximately 80 carbs a day.

Anyone else lower carb but not necessarily 'low carb'?
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi JesikaBeth! The Carb-Sensitive Dieting thread is for anyone on a low-, slow-, OR moderate-carb diet. We have a couple of other diabetics there. I don't do low carb. I do slow carb (paying attention to whether the carbs are quick-burning or slow-burning) and have one day a week when I eat anything. In fact, I don't even know how many carbs I consume in a day since i don't count them. Feel free to come join us!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:11 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Hi. I do a lowered carb way of eating.

When I was diagnosed T2D last year, and over 100lbs overweight, I instinctively went lower carb, and by December had lost 70lbs and brought my blood sugar down to non-diabetic levels.
From January to May, I went back onto a more mixed way of eating, including some serious carb binges. Fortunately, just losing that weight seems to have stabilized my blood sugar, and my June test showed exactly the same low BS levels as December. Lucky me; however, my weight was seriously fluctuating, and although I'm 5lbs less than December, I have been 10lbs less (and 10lbs more), and although I feel a lot thinner than a year ago, lots of people at my weight for my height are at OMG! I must lose weight levels.

I'm on Day #28 of The Harcombe Diet, a UK-based, lowered carb, real food diet. I'm trying to limit the number of times I weigh, because it was getting me down, however, I did lose 6.5lbs in the first 2 weeks. It's having a good effect on my skin and on my mood, which is really great. Are you following a particular Plan?
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #4  

Hello, thanks for the replies. I do not do any particular type of plan, no.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #5  
New chick

S/C/G: 168/154.1/115

I prefer this style of eating, I'm usually around 50-60 carbs and for some reason it feels better than do reallllly low carb for me.

Carbs I get are from quest bars, yogurt, protein powder, veggies, pb, and avocado usually.
Bostoncreamprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #6  

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostoncreamprincess View Post
I prefer this style of eating, I'm usually around 50-60 carbs and for some reason it feels better than do reallllly low carb for me.

Carbs I get are from quest bars, yogurt, protein powder, veggies, pb, and avocado usually.
Yes, for me going very low carb made me very sick. I dropped weight very quick when I did atkins, but got horribly ill. I am also diabetic and too low of carbs pushes my body into gastroparisis. I too get my carbs from protein bars, protein powder, veggies, pb, and yogurt (definitely, definitely addicted to yogurt, lol) -- occasionally I've have a gluten free bread of sorts (I also have Celiac Disease.)

*waves hello*

Last edited by JesikaBeth; 06-21-2016 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #7  

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui_D View Post
Hi JesikaBeth! The Carb-Sensitive Dieting thread is for anyone on a low-, slow-, OR moderate-carb diet. We have a couple of other diabetics there. I don't do low carb. I do slow carb (paying attention to whether the carbs are quick-burning or slow-burning) and have one day a week when I eat anything. In fact, I don't even know how many carbs I consume in a day since i don't count them. Feel free to come join us!
Hello, and thanks. Where do I find that thread?
Old 06-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #8  

I have type-2 diabetes and eating very low carb also makes me feel very sick. This time I am simply eating low carb with no counting. I eat meats, fats, eggs, veggies, cheese, have heavy cream in my coffee and find lower carb substitutions for what I am craving.

Aside from the effects of my blood sugar lowering, I do not constantly feel sick. Once my body gets use to this, I do plan on gradually lowering carbs more. I've lowered carbs this way before, by sort of backing into very low carb and had no sickness.

itsoversugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #9  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

JesikaBeth and itsoversugar would you kindly post some of your daily meals on
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/othe...ad-5-a-13.html
I would love to see what you eat to keep your carbs low, which is what I need to do. thanks
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 284/279/180

I'm doing a lower carb lifestyle as well. I started this new way of eating in March, and in about 4 months I'm down 37 pounds. I journal everything - trying to stay under 50 carbs, 1000 calories and 100+ grams of protein. I have added in the treadmill/kettlebell almost daily, and that's really helped as well I do splurge now and again (celebrating BDays, PMS...or sometimes just to satisfy a craving) but I've been pretty good about jumping right back in. Good Luck
Sassypants75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #11  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Sassypants do share a days menu please. Thanks
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
I would love to see what you eat to keep your carbs low, which is what I need to do. thanks
Yep, I'll head over there now
Old 06-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 284/279/180

Hi Love2b150 -
here are a few examples of my menus...I do tend to eat a lot of the same things
Breakfast:
black coffee
cottage cheese
snack:
2 slices foster farms turkey + 1 wedge of laughing cow cheese split between the two. Eat as rollups
Lunch:
salad made with lettuce, cucumber, red/orange/yellow mini bell peppers, hard boiled egg, 3 oz chicken, ranch, pico de gallo (sometimes I dice the chicken into the salad, sometimes I eat the salad and then have the chicken on the side)
Snack:
3 meatballs (armour brand is cheap and tasty. 1 minute in the micro for a quick snack)
Dinner:
Chicken breast with spices (pepper/garlic) I buy the individually frozen breasts at Costco
sautéed zucchini, squash and red/yellow orange bell peppers
carbmaster yogurt (I buy this at Fred Meyer. Delicious! Variety of flavors)
Snack:
carb smart ice cream bar
Total calories: 1014 Total carbs: 46.8 Total protein: 122.7

Example #2:
breakfast:
coffee with 1/2 + 1/2
Leftover hamburger patty from the dinner night before. 1/2 slice melted cheese on top..
snack:
1 serving mixed nuts - Costco brand
lunch:
3 meatballs with sautéed squash and red/yellow/orange bell pepper
snack:
1 wedge laughing cow cheese
dinner:
salad with lettuce, cucumber, 6 cherry tomatoes, red/yellow/orange bell peppers, ranch
chicken breast with spices
snack:
raw cauliflower
total calories: 1059 total carbs: 39.1 total protein: 97.5
My treadmill tracks calories and carbs burned, so I deduct from my total calories/carbs from the day. I typically do 30-60 minutes treadmill 5-6 days/week, burning 300-600 calories and 35-60 carbs per session.
I try to be diligent about using my journal to track everything I eat with nutritional info and exercise. I've NEVER succeeded in dieting in my life, this is just my new lifestyle. I went to my doctor for labs and asked if my calories were too low - she said NO! Keep it up!! She even suggested fasting 1 day to reboost metabolism if a plateau hits. Also, LOTS of water - which is new for me
Sassypants75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #14  

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Ok Just posted I'm more of a snacker throughout the day, and my main meal is dinner.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:43 AM   #15  

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassypants75 View Post
Hi Love2b150 -
here are a few examples of my menus...I do tend to eat a lot of the same things
Breakfast:
black coffee
cottage cheese
snack:
2 slices foster farms turkey + 1 wedge of laughing cow cheese split between the two. Eat as rollups
Lunch:
salad made with lettuce, cucumber, red/orange/yellow mini bell peppers, hard boiled egg, 3 oz chicken, ranch, pico de gallo (sometimes I dice the chicken into the salad, sometimes I eat the salad and then have the chicken on the side)
Snack:
3 meatballs (armour brand is cheap and tasty. 1 minute in the micro for a quick snack)
Dinner:
Chicken breast with spices (pepper/garlic) I buy the individually frozen breasts at Costco
sautéed zucchini, squash and red/yellow orange bell peppers
carbmaster yogurt (I buy this at Fred Meyer. Delicious! Variety of flavors)
Snack:
carb smart ice cream bar
Total calories: 1014 Total carbs: 46.8 Total protein: 122.7

Example #2:
breakfast:
coffee with 1/2 + 1/2
Leftover hamburger patty from the dinner night before. 1/2 slice melted cheese on top..
snack:
1 serving mixed nuts - Costco brand
lunch:
3 meatballs with sautéed squash and red/yellow/orange bell pepper
snack:
1 wedge laughing cow cheese
dinner:
salad with lettuce, cucumber, 6 cherry tomatoes, red/yellow/orange bell peppers, ranch
chicken breast with spices
snack:
raw cauliflower
total calories: 1059 total carbs: 39.1 total protein: 97.5
My treadmill tracks calories and carbs burned, so I deduct from my total calories/carbs from the day. I typically do 30-60 minutes treadmill 5-6 days/week, burning 300-600 calories and 35-60 carbs per session.
I try to be diligent about using my journal to track everything I eat with nutritional info and exercise. I've NEVER succeeded in dieting in my life, this is just my new lifestyle. I went to my doctor for labs and asked if my calories were too low - she said NO! Keep it up!! She even suggested fasting 1 day to reboost metabolism if a plateau hits. Also, LOTS of water - which is new for me
I relate to the water thing... I seriously need to drink more water! LOL.

Oh and hello *waves*