Old 01-30-2006, 07:58 AM   #16  

Default I'm glad I ask the question too!!

Actually I'm glad I ask it too. The last diet I was on, I did the Slim Fast thing, thinking it's good for me because of the vitamins, I'm not one that likes Slim Fast that well, so I decided to start taking vitamins for a healthier weight loss, and the end results is great, I feel much better, have lots more energy, and just better overall health....By the way thanks to all for the comments, I love this place, it's nice to be able to ask questions and get answers and opinions.
DeeJae37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #17  

I take Solotron Multi-Vitamin that I buy at GNC. It is a 1 per day capsule. I've tried other vitamins but it's best for me to have something I only take 1 of each day as I am not good about remembering or taking a bunch of different pills. I take it first thing in the morning. GNC has a free card program where you 10% off your purchase during the first 10 days of each month. Plus, I watch their sale ads. The bottle I currently have is 240 tablets (which is enough for almost 8 months) and includes iron. It cost less than $20 with the card (regular price $21.99). I used to just buy any 1-a-day vitamin and thought GNC would be way too expensive but I've really liked the Solotron and found the price quite competitive.
poohshunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:00 PM   #18  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

A multi-vitamin is probably recommended for most who are "dieting" (at least until adjustment to eating healthy, varied meals.) As noted by Meowee and others, watch out for overdose - particularly Vitamin A (Vit. A's pre-cursor beta-carotene is relatively safer, since your body won't convert them to Vit. A if its got enough).

I also take calcium, fish oil, CoQ 10, glucosamine/chondroitin & CLA and would especially recommend the first 2 (Most people don't get enough calcium, and a multi usually supplies only 10-25% of RDA, and there's a good deal of scientific research highlighting fish oil's cardiovascular benefits).

Also, take your supplements with food (or at least a glass of milk) whenever possible to maximize absorption (and prevent mild effects like upset stomachs and nausea)
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:48 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I take my Carbsmart multivitamin everyday, along with Biotine (to help raise the metabolism more), my cranberry pills (to help keep me clean), and Green Tea. I find that it really peps me up in the morning, and I feel better the rest of the day, than when I don't take them.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 193/160/135

Height: 5'10

Hi. I've been lurking here forever and thought it was finally time to jump in and say something!

Anyway - to offer the opposite prospective - I don't take a supplement for a couple reasons. First I tend to constantly munch on baby carrots which naturally have a ton of vitamin A and I worry that added to a multi I would OD very easily.

Second I've read of some not so great studies that show correlations between supplements and cancer (not to freak anyone out - it was all very preliminary and I think for most people they will find they help more than they hurt)

And finally, and this really is the major reason, by not taking a supplement I'm more motivated to eat healthy. I can't "fall back" on that nutrition so I have to incorporate lots of veggies and fruits into my diet everyday.

Obviously this is just what works for me. I'm single so I can plan all my meals so that they are as nutritious as possible, and I'm really pretty sure I'm getting everything I need. Hope this helps!
meatymarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #21  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Great thread.

Is there a "better" option between those multi pack vitamin things with like 6 pills daily, or the 'just one' pill dose?

The track my thinking is on is, if I start taking vitamins, I'd be taking one fish oil tablet (already take those, they help with joint pain) plus a multi vitamin, extra calcium (I'm on depo) and then maybe a multi-B vitamin because it helps dramatically with my allergic reactions to stuff. (Dunno why, I just know it does) - but does that seem like too much to take?

Especially if it means taking a six pill pack supplement, plus adding the extra three would be like an entire meal worth of pills!

Last edited by GradPhase; 08-14-2008 at 10:41 AM.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 165/132.5/125

Height: 5'4 3/4

i've been taking the women's One A Day vitamin for 3 years now [splitting half for the morning and half for the night] with two calcium/vitamin d supplements [i'm lactose intolerant] and a b12 vitamin twice daily on my doctor's recommendation.

i ahve been out of my b12 for a few days and i can really feel the difference. my energy levels have plummeted and i can feel that my body desperately needs something.....i can definitely work out and maintain energy throughout the day, but after using them for so long i can really feel the difference.

so i am PRO multi-vitamin with otehr supplements that you may need based on what your doctor suggests.
BlueParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #23  

This is what I take daily. Brace yourselves, it's a lot, lol.

Fish oil (Omega 3)
Flax oil (Omega 3, 6, 9)
Tonalin (CLA)
Evening primrose (GLA)
B-12
B-complex that does not contain B-12
Magnesium
Chromium
Calcium
Multivitamin

Twice a week, I take:
Zinc
Vitamin E

Along with daily exercise, I think the list of daily vitamins is responsible for my high HDL. It's 69.

Last edited by cmichele1974; 08-14-2008 at 02:19 PM.
cmichele1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #24  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

I tried taking a multi-vitamin, but i have horrible gag reflexes and the smell just makes me gag. I took one and well... it came back up. I think it would benefit me to take one, but if i cant keep it down it doesnt make sense
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #25  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Try taking it with sugar free/ low sugar chocolate skim milk! That's what I do if it's something that smells REALLY bad. The milk, even skim, is thick enough to coat taste buds, and the chocolate is usually the dominant taste. I put the pill between my teeth, plug my nose, and chug the chocolate milk - or else, like you, there's NO chance it'll stay down.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 255/238/170

Just a note with multivitamins, make sure you take them with a decent meal! I had been eating very light for breakfast and taking a multivitamin, then I was working on my Anatomy/Physiology homework and came across this in my text book:

" Vitamins are absorbed unchanged. The fat-soluble vitamins are A, D, E, and K, and are absorbed with other lipids. Therefore, if they are ingested without fat-containing food, they are not absorbed at all but are passed into the feces and wasted. Water-soluble vitamins (the B complex and vitamin C) are absorbed by simple diffusion. . . "

After reading that, I began eating an actual breakfast to take my vitamin with. Soo, don't let the full nutritional value of your vitamins go to waste! Make sure you eat them with a healthy meal containing some fat.
azraelya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:57 AM   #27  

I take a multi-vitamin as well. I also take chromium picolinate.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote