Old 01-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #1  

Default Foodsaver

I wasn't quit sure where to post this where everyone would look. Sorry if this isn't the best place.
I am interested in getting a foodsaver/ Rival seal a meal product. I'm looking for people who have them. Do you like it? What product/model do you have? What don't you like about it? It is really hard to compare these unless you know people that really have them. I want the best quality for my money since it will be sealing/storing my families food.
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

Last edited by Julie78; 01-25-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Julie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #2  

I've had my FoodSaver for several years- I got back when they first came down to around $100 point. I absolutely love it- it makes eating healthy so much easier. I can have lots of different cereal in the house at the same time since I can reseal it (I don't eat ceral, except with yogurt, but I like to make my own granola/protein bars with an assortment). With it just being me and my elderly mom, we would get tired of most crackers, pretzels, rice cakes, etc before we finished off a package- now we can reseal it and use just what we want. It truely has saved us a lot of money on not having to throw stale food out...or ending up eating when we really dont' want to/shouldn't. Its also great for stuff in the fridge & freezer- put meat in serving sized packages (we usually put each serving in a sandwhich bag & then seal several in larger FoodSaver Bag). We also use the attachment to seal jars with canning lids for coffee & other dry goods to keep them fresh longer. The canisters from FoodSaver are great for storing too- and for quickly marinating meat.

One thing that I know for myself is that a chip clip isn't much of a deterant if I'm in a snacking mode; knowing I have to cut the bag open & reseal it makes me stop & think. Its not that its a lot of work or takes a lot of time, its just enough to make me think before I end up mindlessly grazing. I don't know anythign about the Rival brand one, but I did buy a cheaper one a couple years before I got my Food Saver and it was worthless- it didn't pull out that much air and the the bags didn't seal that well so I would be cautious about the quality of other brands. Ours doesn't have a lot of the neat features newer ones have & I would love to get a newer one, but it is stilling working fine so I can't justify the expense.
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote