Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Default This Weeks Healthiest Food-GARBANZO BEANS

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

Yummy, yummy, yummy. I really like these, but don't eat them very often. I know they're incredbily healthy, but just like last weeks healthiest food - the almond - I tend to overeat them and they are very calorie dense. If they would stay fresher a little longer in the fridge, I would open up a can more often and throw a small handful in my salads. I do eat chummus once a week though. That I don't have a problem controlling for some reason, oddly enough.

What are some things you like to make with Garbanzo Beans? I'm thinking they would be very good in a stew with onions, zucchini and tomatoes. Hmmmm.....
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!! I am so addicted to garbanzo beans right now.

Hummus is one of my favorites but so is something like chana masala.

Lately, I've been using them for my mock tuna salad.

I posted my inspiration recipe here last week :
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127887

What I do is I mash up the garbanzo beans, mix in plenty of mustard, dill, dried onions, garlic powder, no-salt seasoning and pepper. I add a bit of apple cider vinegar and some soft silk tofu. Then I chop up some celery and pickles and add them. I also have been adding capers as well. I basically do it "to taste".

I will either serve on top of a salad or I will chop up tons of veggies and serve with lettuce to make lettuce wraps. This is what has been my lunch and dinner for ummm the past few days and I don't really plan to stop any time soon It is a really filling meal for under 300 calories (closer to 200 but I haven't been counting too closely).

Last edited by nelie; 12-03-2007 at 09:28 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #3  
BabyFatBeGone

S/C/G: 163/145/130

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

My obsession right is beans salad. I use different kinds of beans including garbanzos in my salad, which I am eating right now for lunch!
BabyFatGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #4  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I absolutely LOVE garbanzo beans, but as you said, they are calorie dense, so I try not to have them all that often. A few things I do with them:
-Toss them with some cut up red peppers, cucumbers, celery, onions, red wine vinegar, a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, and some spices (garlic, cumin, coriander, black pepper, rosemary, red pepper flakes, and oregano). Makes a yummy salad.
-Take the above and blend it to get a hummus-y spread
-Toss with garlic and dark leafy greens (swiss chard, collard greens, mustard greens, spinach, kale, etc) and sautee in olive oil (or if you're really healthy, chicken broth) for a yummy hot side dish.
-Make Indian Spiced Chickpea and Fire Roasted Tomato Soup from Food Network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._35035,00.html)

Hope that gives everyone some yummy ideas
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Hmmm... garbanzos are one of my favorite beans!

Besides hummus (which seems to be everyone's favorite ) I like to put them on salads, in soups, and I make a great African stew that has garbanzos, greens, onion, garlic, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and rice. Yummy!

I've also made fresh falafel by grinding up garbanzos with spices, herbs, and some other ingredients I can't think of right now. I recall pan frying them, but falafel could just as easily be baked.

Oooh, and I almost forgot! I have a great Pakistani recipe for curried garbanzos.

Last edited by zenor77; 12-04-2007 at 01:36 AM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:38 AM   #6  
Want 2 be slim & healthy

Location: Im in Spain but Im English, have lived in Spain for 15 years

Height: 5"11

Here in Spain we make a kind of stew with them, we use chicken, leeks, turnips, carrots, celery. potatoes and of course garbanzos. Its really nice, one of my favorite spanish dishes actually.
kate1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:41 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

zenor,

I've also made falafel (yum!) and I also made a Moroccan stew with garbanzos and winter squash.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I love falafel, and hummus. When I do falafel I brown them in a skillet and then finish them in the oven. You need to be fairly generous with the cooking spray, but it's not too bad.

Lamb and garbanzo stew is very delicious, though higher-cal.

I once tried a recipe that had you toss your garbanzos in a mix of spices, spray with cooking spray and then roast in the oven until slightly crispy. Not a bad snack, really. I've done the same thing with edamame too.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #9