Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 07-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #1  

Default A year spent changing bad habits... but having trouble with one. =(

I had my gallbladder removed last year, this made me realize i had to stop with the yoyo dieting. Stop with the extreme weight loss, and weight gain cycle that i have been in since i was a teen, im about to be 30 this year.

I decided to completely forget about my weight, and clothes size. I am focusing on small changes. Some of these took months to achieve, but my concern was taking my time to make things stick. This is what ive accomplished so far.

1) juicing in the mornings, with no sugar, which is huge for me. lol
2) gave up most fast food, i only occasionally go to places i dont obsess with. But i had to give up mcdonalds, i would go many times a week, breakfast and lunch. 0_0
3) more veggies
4)lessening sodas, fruit juices, and focusing on water.
5) junk food. so far ive stopped buying cookies, doughnuts, and chips.
6) stop adding sugar to things

What im working on right now, are my two favorite junk food. i LOVE popcorn, i can smell it a mile away. lol I only love one thing more, and that is chocolate!

I swear i wont buy it anymore but it always ends up in my car somehow... maybe magic?

im finding it easier to not buy popcorn than i am avoiding chocolate. ive been able to give up everything else, why is this such a problem? It was easier to give up Mcdonalds, and that was hard. i went months where i would crave it and try to convince myself why once would be okay, sounds nuts, but i was that obsessed.

How can i kick this last bad habit? the problem is that i tend to buy a big bag and its gone in a few days. I tell myself ill eat a few a day, but i could eat chocolate all day long and not be bored. I know that sounds awful, but i truly do want to get healthy. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Thismomentisfate; 07-23-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Thismomentisfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 212.6/144.2/121

Height: 5'5"

You might buy some cocoa powder. You can get the chocolate flavor and antioxidants with no sugar, only about 15 calories per tablespoon and there is some fiber in there. I put some in my nightly smoothy. Remember though there is no sugar though - it is not like a candy bar
buddha belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Both popcorn and chocolate in small amounts can be good for you! Popcorn, without it's added butter and salt, has a lot of fiber and some nutrients. IF you buy just plain popcorn and add your own seasonings to it, it's actually healthy for you. And eating a small amount of dark chocolate everyday can be good for you too...dark chocolate has some antioxidants in it. Maybe if you buy a bar of dark chocolate, and tell yourself you can have a certain amount every day, that would help with eating too much of it. Even portion it out into baggies or something...portioning food out ahead of time helps me a lot not to overeat.
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #4  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by terestrife View Post
i went months where i would crave it and try to convince myself why once would be okay, sounds nuts, but i was that obsessed.
Not obsessed, addicted. That is what those junk purveyors do. They design their food to be the perfect storm to hook you in, and get you addicted to the food. Good for you for not giving in to it.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/205/150

Height: 5.8

Google this: Top 10 most unhealthy, cancer-causing foods - never eat these again!

Maybe this will help! Both corn and pop corn can cause it.. You can research online about it.

Also try dark chocolate!!! Which is great for you in small amounts.

From my experience: I find it easier to cut it off completely than to eat it in small amounts! Because once i eat a small bite, I usually eat the whole thing after and nothing can stop me
stephaniegk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiKai View Post
Not obsessed, addicted. That is what those junk purveyors do. They design their food to be the perfect storm to hook you in, and get you addicted to the food. Good for you for not giving in to it.
I truly do think they put something in that food. Because I've had burgers in restaurants before, and I dont crave them. But, I haven't had a burger in months, and I am okay. I've even made french fries at home, and the effect is not the same. But I have cut out fried foods now.

I felt like i had to go there, and i spent months craving the food there. It sounds crazy, but i would spend hours each day thinking about it, until slowly the feelings went away.

Now i drive by, and it still smells good to me. But i dont feel that overwhelming need of having to eat that food.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:50 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniegk View Post
Google this: Top 10 most unhealthy, cancer-causing foods - never eat these again!

Maybe this will help! Both corn and pop corn can cause it.. You can research online about it.

Also try dark chocolate!!! Which is great for you in small amounts.

From my experience: I find it easier to cut it off completely than to eat it in small amounts! Because once i eat a small bite, I usually eat the whole thing after and nothing can stop me
Thanks! I will try that! I read online that corn is in foods that we would never expect. very unhealthy. im glad im trying to stop with the popcorn havent had it in awhile.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/205/150

Height: 5.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by terestrife View Post
Thanks! I will try that! I read online that corn is in foods that we would never expect. very unhealthy. im glad im trying to stop with the popcorn havent had it in awhile.

Yes it is indeed! try cutting it off completely!
But those organic black chocolates with 70% cocoa, are really good!

They are so sweet and bitter, that its quite hard to eat more than 2 pieces! But you still get your chocolate dose!
stephaniegk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The only problem with popcorn/corn is eating too much of it and most especially the additives in microwave popcorn (I think it's mostly in the bag lining).

I've drastically cut most corn, but still eat some fresh sweet corn and popcorn. I don't eat microwaved popcorn at all.

Switching to old-fashioned popcorn really helped me cut way back on popcorn, because now I have to make it on the stove, which is just enough of a pain in the but to discourage me from making it too often.

With chocolate, I can't control my consumption very well (or at all during pms/tom), so I either buy a single serving (such as a single lindor truffle) or I buy chocolate that is too dark/bitter to enjoy in large quantities.

I can easily overeat milk chocolate and the lighter dark chocolates, but very dark chocolate is harder to binge on (in my experience). I have to be really desperate for chocolate to reach for the 70% dark, and the flavor is so strong and bitter that one very small piece is more than enough.

Or I'll make some light hot cocoa or add cocoa to light drinking coconut or almond milk. I buy the coconut and almond milks that contain only 40-60 calories per cup.

I can make a light chocolate beverage last a lot longer than any piece of candy, so it feels like more.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 258/165/143

Height: 5'3"

If you have to have chocolate, choose DARK chocolate!
Ariel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #11  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I keep a steady stream of dark chocolate (70% minimum) in my diet. I can make a bad addiction joke, but it's honestly a real pleasure. When I buy good quality, it's a great dessert, cuts my cravings of other desserts I don't want (I don't allow myself cakes or pies or sweet bars, for example.)

Maybe you should work on never eating in your car? Or- keep supplies of good food in your car? "I'll have chocolate when I get home."

ALSO: Congratulations! Changing habits is HARD, and will-power is such a limited resource. I hope you're proud of yourself! And that you forgive yourself too

Last edited by souvenirdarling; 08-05-2014 at 12:44 PM.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote