Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 04-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/143/125

Height: 5'5"

Smile 25 Pounds and Blood Pressure Meds -- Bye, Bye

I lost 25 pounds using a low fat, low calorie diet. I eliminated grains (including corn) from my diet, as well as dessert-type foods. I try to eat non-fat yogurt every day. And, I exercise daily -- walking, swimming, pilates, weight lifting. I also try to run but my health only lets me go for about 1/10 of a mile before I get winded. But, every day I run a little bit further.

I was put on blood pressure medications and the dosage was increased. Since beginning my diet, I have managed to control my blood pressure and have been officially "taken off" the medication.

One thing I have discovered during my weight loss journey is that people are different, and their optimum weights are not all the same. I am not designed to weight a lot, perhaps it's because my heart can't take it. I have a family history of heart disease. Although I was never obese, I had health problems that weight reduction eliminated. And, although I have lost 25 pounds and am no longer technically overweight, I still do NOT feel healthy. I feel so much better than before, but I am not there yet. I cannot run long distances yet, and I become very winded walking up hills. I am able to make it to the top of hills that I used to need to stop and "catch my breathe".

Another thing I've discovered is that there is no magic pill or plan for weight loss. It is diet, exercise, and a long term weight maintenance plan. I've come to detest these fad diet plans, because the weight almost always returns. I have come to realization that I will never be able to eat for recreation again, and that's okay. Because food is meant to provide fuel for your life, not be a way to entertain yourself. I have tried many fad diets and searched for the holy grail diet pill and have finally seen the light with my stubborn eyes.

The third thing I've discovered is that there are people who either deliberately or inadvertently sabotage your weight loss. I am blessed to have a family that is supportive and doesn't plan "pizza nights" or bring home cheesecake. I have literally thrown out food that well intended people have brought to our house, to rid the temptation. Also, instead of being happy for your weight loss, their compliments are always followed up with, "you need to stop losing weight". This occurred when I was still overweight, remarks by obese people. I had to bite my tongue to not say, "Uh, no. I'm overweight. I just look thin to you, because you're 75 pounds overweight and need to adjust your lifestyle before you become very sick." But, I held my tongue every time, knowing that I was doing the right thing for me and my long term health. This has been a major area of frustration for me.

Sorry my post is so long. Thank you for reading it. I appreciate it.
WeightGoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #2  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations! You are doing your health a huge favor! We have a reliance on pills these days (doctors included) to make everything better. They have their place, but I bet many people could get off them, as you have.

I'm not sure it's all about sabotage. You nailed it when you described eating as "recreation." Friends, family want to celebrate, have fun, whatever, with food. And, they want us to join in on the festivities with them. I think we are just wired that way. Your abstinence just reminds them of what maybe they should be doing to improve their health, but choose not to.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #3  
300+ Chick

Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Congratulations! You are doing great!!!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Fantastic! So glad you were able to get off your meds.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #6  

Congratulations!
littlebumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Congratulations!!!!!!!!
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote