On January 4, 2010 I set out to change my life. I have never really dieted before, but I just knew a "diet" wouldn't work for me. I needed a permanent lifestyle change that would be a FOREVER solution to my food issues. After researching options, looking up the science behind weight loss, and reading up on nutrition, I started clean eating and calorie counting.
When I started, I told myself I would stay on track for 1 FULL year before giving up, and I would re-evaluate at that time. So here I am, my most important mini goal has been met. I have not had a cheat day/meal in 365 days, and I have a loss of 137 pounds to show for it (with very little exercise). The nitty-gritty details of how I did it can be found on my blog, here.
Onto the pictures!
There are not many "before" pictures of me, but the ones I have I think are pretty illustrative:
and here I am now:
Some comparison shots (I can't see the difference when I look in a mirror, but the side-by-sides really help!)
More importantly than looking better, here is a small smattering of some of the physical and health related changes I have since losing the weight:
- I can cut my toenails without holding my breath and leaning to the side to do so
- My feet don't hurt at the end of the day anymore
- I can easily climb 3 flights of stairs (and not even be winded!)
- I no longer wake up all night from sleep apnea
- Even better, I no longer wake up with stomach acid in my throat and lungs and don't have to down antacids before going to bed nightly
- My diabetes is gone
- The nerve pain I had running from my lower back and into my thigh is gone
- My NASH / fatty liver cleared up
- I barely break out anymore
- I can bend and stretch and move in ways that I didn't even know I couldn't do
- My hands don't fall asleep much anymore
My goal weight is still 55 pounds off, and I know that the next year is going to be more of a challenge then the last. I have issues with getting enough exercise, but that must be my next step in order to reach my final goal, a "normal" BMI.
I suppose I could go on and hit ya'll with an even larger wall of text but I'll spare you
My blog (link in my signature) holds all kinds of information if you are still interested though, including additional photos.
Thanks to you all for your motivation and kind words over the past year.
I don't think I could have done this without you 3FC chicks and roosters as a big portion of my support system.