low carb lasagne- which veggie?

• I'm thinking about trying a low carb lasagne and I notice people using many different veggies in place of noodles.
    I have seen:
    eggplant slices
    zucchini
    green beans
    cabbage
    spaghetti squash
    etc!!
    Has anyone tried different ones and if so, which one do you prefer?
  • I've used cabbage, eggplant, and zucchini (alone and in combination).

I don't like large eggplant, so I only use the long, asian eggplants.

In my opinion, cabbage leaves best duplicates the lasagna texture. Zucchini I found too watery to use as the "noodle" substitute, but cut into matchsticks it makes a nice portion of the filling.

I've also made a lasagna type dish without any noodle substitute. I saute all sorts of yummy veggies (andy or all: onions, bell pepper, celery, carrot, eggplant, zucchini mushroom...) with ground meat or my ground meat/tvp mixture, along with homemade or jarred spaghetti sauce.

While that simmers, I make my egg/cheese mixture.

One egg, a large container of cottage cheese, ricotta (or a small container of each) some shredded asiago, parmesan or romano.

I line the lasagna pan with foil, pur in the cheese mixture. Top with the meat/veg/sauce mixutre and top with a little bit of shredded cheese (usually mozarella and asiago or a packaged italian blend).
  • I recently had one made with eggplant slices. If zucchini was done the same, might not be so watery. The slices were placed on paper towels and salted, left a while, then turned over and done again. The lasagna was excellent, and the eggplant had a nice texture.
    I used spaghetti squash quite a bit when the rest of the family is having spaghetti, they now prefer the squash!.
  • Summer Squash, Hamburger Meat, & Spaghetti Sauce
    I just had this last night - I used summer squash that i had left over; i had originally sliced the summer squash and grilled them on the grill. Last night I just chopped them up (using medium size chunks) but I'm sure you can keep them sliced long-ways. I also used a low carb pasta sauce and it was wonderful! I was very pleased...had the left overs again tonight!
  • Personally, I love lasagna with zucchini strips in place of the noodles. Zucchini has a mild flavor and softens nicely. It is perfect for me!
  • What if you used the recipe for the cauliflower pizza crust and used that as a sub for your layer of pasta?
  • There is a noodle-free version in George Stella's Living Low Carb cookbook. It is really great, too. I like having the veg "noodles", but the meat cheese and sauce one is wonderfully rich.