Old 03-01-2004, 07:31 PM   #1  
thinly,... disguised

Default Have you tried the Carb Option products..

http://www.carboptions.com/

I see them at our local Grocery Stores, I did buy the BBQ Sauce and at 3 carbs for 2tsps, it is very good, almost toooooooooo sweet, made w/ splenda.

Was wondering before I invest in more if anyone else had tried them.....also found some wheat tortilla's today for 7 carbs each
Old 03-02-2004, 01:22 PM   #2  

Hi,
I've tried the carb options salad dressings. So far, I've found the Italian and the Ranch made by Wishbone and they say Carb Options on the label in big bold letters. They are just as good as the real thing, maybe a little less flavorful. 0 carbs. I missed the Italian especially, you just can't make it like that at home. Even if you add the same herbs and spices, it's still not the same.
I tried the Carb Options steak sauce, (1 carb per tbs) made by Lawry. It is very similar in taste to A1, but it's rather watery. You have to use more than 1 tbs to dip a regular steak in.
Also, the Carb Options peanut butter, from Skippy. (5 carbs, 2 from fiber per 2 tbs) Tastes just like regular Skippy, becomes runny when put on hot toast (due to the amount of oil used to make it, I think).

Nikki
Old 03-04-2004, 09:13 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

One thing I noticed is the prices are very high, that is keeping me from trying things. I did however break down and I got the skippy pnut butter YUM YUM YUM, gotta watch it b/c its a weakness of mine, I could sit and eat the entire container w/a spoon. I'm glad they made it w/splenda.

I also noticed Entenmann's has a line out of low carb goodies, but the one box of cookies I picked up were said to have 9 gms carbs for 3 TEEEEENY cookies, not worth it in my book SIGH !!!!
Old 03-12-2004, 03:33 PM   #4  

I haave tried the PB (really good) and the Spaghetti sauce (made by Ragu) I liked it just fine. No weird taste.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:12 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

This month's issue of Good Housekeeping has an interesting report on the low carb products. Not only are they expensive but some of them are HIGHER calorie than the regular food! Scary, isn't it? (In our heart of hearts, we know that calories do count.)
Old 03-12-2004, 09:03 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Ruthie, I don't care what anyone tells me, bottom line is calories. People keep telling me not to watch them b/c I am on atkins, well if I don't I will gain weight, bottom line.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:00 PM   #7  
Head Princess

I refuse to buy the Carb Options products. If you do some comparative label reading before you buy the stuff advertised as 'low carb', you'll often find that normal brands have about the same amount of carbs and are less expensive.

For example (all numbers are minus fiber):

Carb options spaghetti sauce: 5 grams of carbs
Classico spicy red pepper spaghetti sauce: 5 grams of carbs
Essensia 4 cheese spaghetti sauce: 5 grams of carbs

Carb options peanut butter: 3 grams of carbs
Adam's natural peanut butter: 3 grams of carbs

Carb options alfredo sauce: 3 grams of carbs
Classico (I think) garlic alfredo sauce: 4 grams of carbs

In each of these examples, the carb options product is at least a dollar more in my grocery store!

So, save yourself some money and read the labels first!
Old 03-26-2004, 01:21 PM   #8  
Legend in my own mind

I agree, the carb option products are expensive and not always lower in carbs or cals than other products. but lots of people just buy stuff without reading the label on the back. I spend lots of time reading the labels.
people get all cought up in the carb thing and buy up anything that says low carb.
I am doing great just by using whole wheat products, eating lots of fresh veggies and fruits, and I quit making all that gravy and quit buying pre packaged food like TV dinners and quit buying chips and cookies.