Old 07-07-2003, 11:42 AM   #1  

Default No Energy!!

Hi... It has been a week since me and my husband have started Atkins. He feels full of energy and I am totally opposite!! I am not tired, I sleep less and have the ambition to do things however, I have noticed that when I try to run in the evenings my legs are rubbery and I am short of breath right away. I can do maybe a 1/4 of what I used to. My legs are tired from going up stairs and some days I even feel dizzy from the exercise. I am thinking it's a lack of a vitamin of some sort, possibly iron...does anyone have any input on this one.

I love the diet and have lost 7lb and 2inches in 1 week so I know it's working, but I don't like the weak feeling!!!

Thanks!!
Old 07-07-2003, 12:28 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

the REALLY wise ones will be along soon. but here's the basic deal: ya need some minerals.. calcium. potassium. magnesium. take 100% of the RDA [sor women, it's about 1200 mg] of calcium as a supplement. and it should be ok.,

you might want to consider a good multivitamin as well. you ARE eating your veggies/salads, aren't you? and drinking your water?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:32 PM   #3  

Thanks...I take a Multi-vit. and calcium already. I drink TONS of water...probably at least 80oz...64oz at work...then more at home.

I do eat a salad frequently...but hate veggies, though I try to put them in the salad so they are not quite so bad...

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:15 PM   #4  

If you figure out what it is that is making you feel weak, would you mind sharing?

My husband and I started last Sunday also and he is feeling foggy-headed and weak. I don't want him to give up but I don't want him to feel yucky either! I feel like we are doing everything right... do you think maybe it just takes some time to adjust?

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2003, 04:47 PM   #5  

Well, why do you think runners eat so many carbs? Before a marathon they "carbo load" on pasta, bagels, bananas and rice. Carbs give you quick energy for endurance!!! Even bodybuilders will tell you that you can't do a killer workout without some starchy carbs.

When you try to run without carbs you're going to feel like CRAP

For this reason I am against very low carb diets. Yes you will lose weight, but since you can't work out intensely you'll look flabby and pasty. There are 3 women at work who lost weight on Atkins and all they do for exercise is walk (that's all they have energy for). I am using them as an example. They have gained back weight (a significant amount) thanks to their slower metabolisms and loss of muscle.

If you really want to transform your body for the better you HAVE to exercise, and if you exercise, you need more carbs such as whole grains, potatoes (you can use sweet potatoes) and bananas. A lack of potassium (in bananas, potatoes, and yogurt) is going to seriously tax your heart and make you tired too.

Try Body for Life or Body Rx instead, you'll feel SO much better. I tried Carbohydrate Addicts Diet and had to quit after 1 week I felt so bad and couldn't keep up with my training program. It just doesn't work for some of us.

Height: 5'10"
Start Weight: 220
Current: 165
Goal: 160
Old 07-07-2003, 05:31 PM   #6  

I don't know, I exercise intensely 5-6 times a week and I have the same (if not more) amount of energy for my workouts since starting atkins as I always have. I don't think a bit of adjusting when beginning a diet is enough to deem it bad.

I'm sure you mean well!

Old 07-07-2003, 05:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

If you're eating sufficient protein and taking all your vits, I can't figure why the weakness. This diet is NOT for everyone, but for a lot of people it works. Is it the first few days to a week, or has it been longer? Perhaps a trip to the doc is in order. Good luck no matter what!

Edited to add:

Duh! Seven pounds in one week. You have lost a LOT of fluid. I think Sue is the expert on this one, but it's called Restless Leg Syndrome, or something like that. Not enough potassium causes the weird feelings in the legs, due to losing so much fluid at one time washes away all the nutrients. Sue is so much better at explaining this!!! She'll come along soon, I'm sure!

Last edited by goodforme; 07-07-2003 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:56 PM   #8  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

here are my 2 cents

I experienced the same problems your having when I started Atkins. But Sue came along and told me I needed more potassium and mag,. So I started taking them, and after the "foggy brain" and wobbly legs went away which lasts about a week depending on your carb overload, you should experience an energy surge. If you follow progam they way it is layed out in the book, your energy level will stay with you, and you will have ALOT of stamina. I am a walker, 3-5 miles a day and if I have too much energy at the end of the day, I'll go for a second walk. I also weight train, and build wood furniture for most of my day. And no, my body isnt mush, wobbly or flabby. Its still fat, but getting less fat every day.

Just remember that all diets work differently from others, give this one a couple more weeks before you decide it isnt for you.

Good Luck to you
Robin
Old 07-07-2003, 09:45 PM   #9  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

POTASSIUM AND MAGNESIUM

they are the reason your body is feeling like it is. when your body is flushing out the fluids in the beginning it is also riding the body of essentioal nutrients. like potassium and magnesium. please start taking some right away. eadies (pplp) reccomend for the first few weeks take 4 99mg tabs a day (please divide the dose in atlest two!!)

magnesium also is essential and especially in this heat the body will sweat more and really lose the essential minerals. hold off on the exercise for just a day or tow untillyour obdy can get the minerals regulated.

as for not doing low carb and exercising vigerously. that is not necessarily true. I did find that when comming off induction you will need to take a bit more carbs than 20 - 30 more like 50 ish. but other than that not needed. I did weight traiing for 1- 1 1/2 hours a day and did run for 4 miles on odd days and still did not suffer problems it was ewhen i stopped exercising and started work that I came across problems ai was not following my diet and getting enough rest to maintian my body. that i started to feel logy and weak. and then i stopped.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:54 AM   #10  

Thank You so much everyone... I felt wonderful for the first couple of days and then started feeling light headed and just plain yucky!! I will get the Potassium and Magnesium supplements today and start them!! I would love to keep running to help tighten the muscles...I am a big framed girl and need to tighten up the muscles!!!!