Old 04-22-2003, 11:17 AM   #1  

Default Carbo Addiction?

HELP! I've just finished Carbo Addicts book and scored in the severe category. Has anyone tried the Heller's diet (The Carbohydrate Addict)? I've done so many diets and failed I'm almost afraid to try one more time. Registered at WW last month and I can't do it for more than a few days! Need to lose 60+ lbs. Any encouragement would be appreciated...
Old 04-22-2003, 12:02 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just hang out in here a while. Lots of us have done or are doing the CAD or CALP programmes. You'll get lots of help and support.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:51 PM   #3  

I am not familiar with the book you are talking about, but I am convinced that I am addicted. I decided to try the low carb plan and I got through a little more than 24 hours and then binged on almond croissants. I felt like I was high after eating them. Almost euphoric. It is kind of scary.

I am right where you are now. Need to lose weight, trying to no carb it and I don't think I am going to be able to stick to it. Good luck to you!

Carrie
Old 04-22-2003, 12:53 PM   #4  

uhh, I guess that wasn't really supportive. Sorry.

I just needed to get that off my chest.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:57 PM   #5  
CatGal

muffingrrl & kgyaya - Coming off carbs is the hardest thing you will do on this way of eating. Just hang in there for one day, then one more... Once you break through the 'barrier' (you will know when you do) you will feel great! Carbs won't hold an appeal over you anymore. You will be able to take them or leave them (LEAVE THEM!)...

In the meantime EAT CHEESE, EGGS, TURKEY, BACON. Whenever you are hungry eat. Calories don't matter in the beginning. Just eat when hungry. Once you break through the addiction barrier, things will get easy and you will be able to return to normal quantities of food. You won't even miss the carbs. Believe me! I am a carb-a-holic. On Easter Sunday, I ate Bagels and Chocolate for breakfast! I was high for hours after that, literally, but not a good high. A trembling foggy minded mess of a person I was.

Carb withdrawls are hard, but you will be so greateful if you get through it!
Gina
Old 04-22-2003, 05:21 PM   #6  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hello, my name is Robin, and Im a carboholic!

Ive read the CAD book, and I tried it at one point, but I cant have the reward meal....Im an addict......so I have to limit my goodies severly. We all do what works for us...and if the CAD works for you then great!!! If not, try another low carb plan.

Like Gina said, one day at a time. After awhile, you dont want any carbs, and when you do, they taste pastey and doughy.

You've come to the right place for help....we are all fighting the same battle. We have a great bunch of ppl here that are wonderfully supportive.

Welcome
Old 04-22-2003, 07:11 PM   #7  

I have to thank you guys for the encouraging news. I went to the store and loaded up on cheese and meat and bacon. When I walked into our kitchen at work today, and saw a big platter of *FREE* pastries, I stood there waiting for the urge to go away. It didn't, so I had one. It was so good I had like five more!

LOL I am a junkie.

At least they were small. Good Lord. This is going to be hard. Not to mention that I am on an SSRI and I am not even sure that the low carb thing is going to work for me.

Thanks for the advice.
Carrie
Old 04-22-2003, 07:40 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

SSRI ... addictive tendencies ... carb addiction. it's all connected.

can i go home from work now? please?????
Old 04-22-2003, 11:02 PM   #9  

Thank you all so much for responding! I feel supported already, but still scared. I've been doing the CAD for three days now and so far have been ok with the Reward Meal. Hardest part for me is not snacking. Have to admit I'm feeling less desire for carbs. Yikes this is a whole new world.

I don't think I could do "no" carbs... is that Atkins? "The Carbohydrtae Addicts Diet" by Rachael and RIchard Heller is the only book I've read on the subject so I guess I'll continue to do this.

We'll see if it results in any weight loss.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:43 AM   #10  

OK have to stop you right there kgyaya. Atkins does NOT say that you can't have any carbs. In fact, he stresses LIMITATION of carbs. On induction (the first two weeks of the plan) you are allowed 20mg of carbs. These can be found in vegetables that you are eating. Every food in the world, be it meat, cheese, eggs or whatever has a carb count. There is energy stored in the food. In meat it is very low but it is there! Please go to your local library and pick up a copy of Atkins and read about the healthful benefits of following his plan.

Muffingrrl, I tried doing The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program (known here on the forum as CALP) to combat my anxiety disorder (taking Paxil, an SSRI) but I found it wasn't effective enough. I kept cheating and straying from the plan since I am a carb addict! After 2 years of struggle, I followed Atkins (at first nervous because it is a strict plan) and got the wonderful results I have today. God Bless Doctor Atkins!
Old 04-23-2003, 07:45 AM   #11  
Lovin' Life

Thankyou Pooky
Old 04-23-2003, 10:31 AM   #12  

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone on Atkins, I'm new to all this and just seeking information. As I said in an earlier post this is a whole new look at food and addiction for me. I have no bias against Atkins or any other "low" carb program. My theory is, if a particular diet works for someone...Great! If CAD ends up not being effective for me I will certainly try other "low" carb plans since my biggest realization is that I'm a carb addict.

Right now it's a matter of "restriction" that I have to deal with emotionally. I've already done too many diets where I've deprived myself (my own self-imposed porblem, not necessarily theirs) and failed. The carb limitation is something I'll have to work with and see where I have success. If CAD leaves too much temptation I hope to find something else.

Thanks to all for your support.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:51 AM   #13  
Old Cackler

kgyaya:

try not to look at it as 'restriction' but rather a matter of doing what's best for your body. substitute some yummy protein for whatever carbs you might have indulged in. one of my current fav snacks is deli buffalo chicken breast and i roll it up with a mixture of a little sour cream and blue cheese. ok. and hot sauce, but that's just me.

it's just that the carbs are so easy to eat, and so accessible. and our society views them as treats ['let's go out for ice cream.' or 'want some coffee and...?', and let's not forget all those cakes, pies, cookies, brownies, chips, whatever that end up in offices!!!]

we all keep a stash of protein snacks. i always have jerky [ok the rest of you.. bring on the comments again!], and soy nuts. and deviled eggs.

so, think about how YOU can plan to succeed at this. you CAN have wendy's chili [not sure about during induction though, but eventually you can]. you CAN ditch every burger bun in the country and eat salad with your 3 burgers or whatever you choose.

and remember, it's actually the PROCESSED carbs that cause the problem. after induction, things like small amounts of sweet potato, for example, are generally tolerated. but again, this is an individual thing, so you'll have to keep experimenting. at least you can put real butter on the sweet potato!!!!
Old 04-23-2003, 11:34 AM   #14  

Thanks Jiffypop, like I said the "restriction" all comes from inside my head and the years of yo-yo dieting. I'm now beginning to realize some of the foods that were taboo are actually ok (i.e. bleu cheese, sour cream, etc.) Processed carbs were (and sometimes still ARE) my life!! Lots to figure out but, for the first time in a "lifetime" I think I'm on the right track.

Keep sending those food suggestions. They really help!
Old 04-23-2003, 05:55 PM   #15  
Lovin' Life

No offense taken Check out the daily food logs to see what some of us are eating in a day. This might help a bit.

Dont forget to eat your veggies!!! They keep you regular