Old 04-15-2003, 04:31 PM   #1  

Default ok so what do ya think of Oprahs way of dieting?

Oprah is saying that no diet works and that you have to design one to fit your lifestyle. Only then you can you be truly successful at losing and keeping hte weight off. I didn't give it much thought when she said it recently but then the other day our local news did a thing on dieting and they said that their surveys showed that the most successful dieters were those that designed their own plan. Hmm I wonder if this would work. I mean don't we all know really what works for us in the long run? OR maybe not. Maybe we just know what is 'suppose' to work for us in the long run. I don't know I just thought it was an interesting concept.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:56 PM   #2  

That is very true. I agree that there is only one diet--the one that works for you! That's why there a bazillion plans out there, try them, see if they work, or tweak them to fit if most of it works. The trick is to stay with one plan and not throw up your hands and say 'well that didn't work' and walk away from following any sort of plan. That's an all or nothing mentality and unfortunately people don't get too far if they keep giving up! There's an old maxim I live by: keep what you like and leave the rest. It surely can apply to dieting, not any one plan will work for any one person so I say just keep on trying until something mostly fits
Old 04-15-2003, 05:01 PM   #3  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Wishing,
I do a modified WW. I loved the 123, but i feel with the winning points they are more concerned with loosing fast than loosing healthy and being healthy. The Wining points only gave me between 900 and 1100 calories based on their calculations and I could only earn a maximum of 4 points for my gym time..... It wasn't working...I needed more food.....

So i TRY to follow a low fat, high fiber plan and it seems to work well for me....

So in answer to your question, I think she is right on with the make it work for you idea. You have to be able to eat what you like to be satisfied vs. what you don't like just to lose weight. I know for a fact that there is a very happy middle, you will have to take some time to find that within whatever plan you choose.....

I will never be the 115 that the charts say I should be, nor do I want to work that hard to get there.

Remeber, there is no magic pill, it takes hard work and disapline to achive a goal, but however you choose to get there we will all be here to hold your hand.
-L
Old 04-15-2003, 05:16 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I couldnt have said it better myself L !!

Atkins "my way" works for me......I havent been able to add very many carbs to my diet, only because it sends me into sugar cravings. So.....I know that I can eat very low carb and have no problems. Be it atkins way or ww way. What Im doing now works for me.

So to answer your question, yes I agree with Oprah, and what the ladies have been saying here all along. You have to do what works for you.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:36 PM   #5  
Student of the Hoof

Absolutely everything they already said.

You have to work inside your own cravings, weaknesses and strengths, likes and dislikes. I, for example, would (and did) last about 2.5 weeks on low carb. I felt horrible, didn't lose weight, and it cut out nearly everything I loved. I use fitday.com to log my intake, and do the calorie counting thing. I've found that by using a rough 40 30 30 I monitor my proteins, carbs and fats, and I lose a fairly steady 2 pounds a week. But that is including the exercise, too, which is really important to any weight loss program.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:47 PM   #6  

Hi all,

Today I rejoin the Zone/Protein Power lifestyle. I agree that for most people finding a plan that fits your lifestyle is essential.

In my case however, my life has revolved around food for so long that I'm not sure I'd know where to start! Food IS my lifestyle!! I hope to change my focus by taking a course in the fall, volunteering for a help line and spending every weekend with family at the lake.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-15-2003, 08:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Protein-Rules, great name! Yes, this whole "which plan to follow and what the heck do I eat all day" causes me to obsess over food much more than I ever did! Why is this stuff so hard?????

I think it's great to take classes and volunteer, and every one of us could use a weekend at the lake, can we get directions?? The important thing is that it's not all about food, it's about changing your whole lifestyle so it doesn't revolve around food. You've got the hard part figured out already! Good luck to you.