Old 12-13-2002, 04:05 PM   #61  

Sounds like your doing great.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:27 PM   #62  

Angry TGIF,

Had my annual mammogram done this morning. Afterwards DH & I went down to Mass. to visit his parents and drop off their Christmas gifts before they leave for FL next week. We just got back.

I got the result of my cholesterol test I had done a few weeks ago, it was 191. I was very happy with that!

We are supposed to get another snow storm tonight into tomorrow. I don't know how much we're going to get, it varies depending on who you listen to.

nikki, you really have done great in the weight loss dept. 38 lb. is fantastic! Glad you are starting to feel better. How did the exercising go? Thanks for the info on the deep fryer & a regular frying pan. I saw on SS site that someone made the zucchini fries in a frying pan and they were rather greasy, and someone else wrote in saying they come out better in a deep fryer. I don't do a lot of frying, so I don't want the expense of a deep fryer, plus I have no where to put it on my counter.

Jennifer, I am so glad to hear from you. Hope you can take some time out and relax a bit.

Su, I have my cards all written out, I did it in shifts THEN...I get two unexpected Christmas cards from family members, so now I have to send them one too. Now I have to wrap the rest of my gifts.

ANNE, your house sounds lovely. You're lucky to be able to get along so well with your parents. I don't think I could've lived with mine because my mother was a tad bit critical of the way I did things, or didn't do things.

Kathy, Yup, 10 miles to the grocery store. There is one a bit closer, about 7 miles, but it's a smaller store and they don't have the best stuff in the world there. I'm not used to crowds in stores, nor crowds in general. But, once I get to NYC I push my way through with the best of them I got tired of the food combining on SS, and also trying to find "legal" foods. So, I just use SS guidelines, I've eliminated sugar and white flour, and try to eat low carb most of the time. Once in awhile I will have some brown rice or sweet potato with my dinner.

Have a great evening.
Aleka
Old 12-13-2002, 06:18 PM   #63  

Hi Everyone:
I am finally on vacation!! I have lots to do in
preparation for Christmas but at least I don't have the stress
of the office and you know who

We have a big breakout of Norwalk Virus here in Toronto so I
am so glad I won't be on the subway while this is going on!!!
Several of our hospitals in Toronto have closed their emergency
departments due to this illness.

Diet is great, I am staying away from the goodies. Nikkic does
this whey powder have any carbos?

Aleka: we are expecting snow tonight too. I don't mind the
snow its freezing rain I can't stand

I got my Christmas Cards done and this week I will make the
cookies!!

Talk to you all later. Housework calls! (loudly)

Anne.
Old 12-14-2002, 06:06 AM   #64  

Good Morning Everyone:

Got weighed this morning and I am down another 3. This
PP plan seems to be really moving me along!! I was on a one
month stall. Perhaps I was still losing on Somersizing but I
really want to see 5-10 off per month. It was working for a
few months then one long plateau. Nikkic like you, I quit
eating nuts, I have about 3 teaspoons only of cream per day
and I weigh and measure 2 oz. of cheese.

Today I will be making my shortbread cookies but this news
will keep me from cheating

I am going to use my vacation time to get my sorry hide back
up on my gazelle. Don't get me wrong I walk a couple of miles
a day with my friend on my lunch hour so I am in reasonably good cardio condition. Since I am on vacation
I will start on my gazelle routine to get me going for the new
years resolution!!!!!!

Anne.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:56 AM   #65  

Hi everyone,
Anne, I'm so happy your on vacation and you get to take it at a wonderful time of the year. I hope you get to really relax and enjoy yourself. Do all the things you want to and have a great time off.
That Norwalk virus is everywhere it seems. I wonder if that's what was wrong with me a month ago, I had the same symptoms. I have always been meticulous about hand washing, but I guess you could easily get it from eating out at a place where the people that work there are not too good about it.

Whey has a few carbs, mine says in a 24 g scoop there are 2 carb grams. I see SS now lists whey under dairy in the pro/carbs. I think the amount of carbs varies with the brand.

Aleka, good cholesterol numbers You are really getting the snow. It is still dry here and in the 50's. I really need to get outside and enjoy some of this weather. If nothing else, clean the inside of the car before the winter weather comes our way.
I don't fry much anymore either. Like I said, if the oil is hot enough, but not too hot, that's what makes the difference. It just takes a little experimenting. The first ones never seem to turn out, then you get the hang of it and the oil the right temperature and away you go. I tried the zucchini sticks in the oven and they were soggy, but tasted good. DH said they were a good alternative for french fries. I coated them in parmesan cheese with a few spices. I've tried this with eggplant and fried it in oil and it was great. Stinks when it's cooking, but tastes great.
Watch it closely, they brown pretty fast. I have a really hard time anymore frying, I bought an electric stove after years of using gas and I can never regulate it like I could gas. First it isn't hot enough, then it stays too hot for a long time. I had my last stove for over 20 years, so unless something goes real wrong with this one, I'll probably have it way longer than I want to.

Su, Mauvaisroux and Jennifer, Hi I miss you all and hope your doing well.
Kathy, I talked you leg off yesterday, I can get long winded when I'm wound up. Hope you get your book soon, it is full of great information.

Well, I haven't exercised yet. I was going to start, but DH just got up and decided to try the total gym. If you follow the video, it is really simple and easy to use. He is like most men and doesn't want to follow instructions, he is not enjoying his first experience right now. I just had to go help, he never wants to learn how to do anything. I guess he thinks he was born with the knowledge. He never has learned how to use the remote control for the satellilte, just uses the up and down buttons. I fully expect the total gym will be thrown out the back door before I can even use it.

Oh, well, I have learned how to deep breathe and count to ten since we have gotten together.

Last edited by nikkic; 12-14-2002 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:08 AM   #66  

Angry Good morning,

We were supposed to get snow overnight, but it's 40 deg. and raining. They say it may end as snow later on this afternoon.

nikki, thank you for the tips on frying. I have made "hash browns" with cauliflower, and it does stink up the house.
Went to the grocery store this morning, looking for some fresh clams out of the shell to fry along with the shrimp, but couldn't find any. They had some canned clams, but I'm afraid they'd be really tough.

ANNE, way to go with the weight loss!! Glad you have some time away from your job and your boss. Have a great vacation. Are you planning anything special, or just hang around and relax? Did you get any snow? We really lucked out. I will be mailing our Christmas cards tomorrow. I plan on wrapping gifts this afternoon.

Hi Su, Jennifer, mauvaisroux, & Kathy.

Have a great day.
Aleka
Old 12-14-2002, 01:35 PM   #67  

Well, I went and popped in the video and helped him do it. It was good for me too, I have a better idea of what to do when I do use it. It is a real work out, at least it looked that way watching DH. He is overweight, but has always had big muscles. He was struggling with it and by the time he was done, felt that it was a good work out and something he will be able to do.
I exercised then, did the cardiosculpt video and 20 min. on the gazelle. I haven't exercised for a week and I can tell, lost a little muscle strength and endurance, but not to much. Man, it sure feels great to be able to exercise and stretch out again.
Tomorrow, I'll do some pilates and then the total gym too. Today, I was just testing myself to see how it felt.
Aleka, I've never had fresh clams. I've never even had fresh seafood. I see some live lobsters in the big grocery stores in Des Moines, but they are so expensive. I always thought clams were like rubber bands. If their fresh their not? Also, how do clean scallops? I like the flavor, but they are always full of sand. I can only get them frozen too.
Old 12-14-2002, 02:57 PM   #68  

Angry

nikki, I've never cleaned scallops. Do they come in a shell? The only ones I've ever seen have been in the fresh seafood case at my grocery store, they look like big and/or little white lumps. Clams are a bit like rubber, some more than others. But, I absolutely LOVE fried clams. Good to see you back exercising. You really put me to shame. I can think of every excuse not to exercise. I forgot to tell you. Yesterday I got Suzanne's pancake and waffle mix, and today I got the Pots de Creme. I'm dying to try both. Take care. Aleka
Old 12-14-2002, 07:24 PM   #69  

Aleka, the scallops I've gotten were frozen and not in the shell. They had a flavor similar to lobster/crab I guess, not exactly the same texture. But they were sandy and I didn't see any sand in them and I rinsed them too. I made a really nice cream sauce (kind of runny) and served them over zucchini noodles. I want to eat more seafood, but it's hard to get. I love orange roughy, but since it's become popular, it is really expensive too.

I didn't use to like to exercise, I think what they say about doing something for 30 or 45 days, and then it becomes a habit, is true.
I'm use to it and so it's become a big part of my life. I'd rather execise than go shopping, can you believe it?
Old 12-15-2002, 04:43 AM   #70  
Ready!!!

Good Morning Chicks.
5:35 am, Sunday, Ready for work. Just a few questions, What is the name of this book by Suzanne, please? I have gone to Amazon and tried everything, maybe it is not avalable in Canada??? And how is the Gazalle on your joints??? Legs and knees?? I don't know too much about it. What is it good for?

Ladies I have to tell you something, living in N.S. we have all of the sea food you can imagine, I don't like it. Scallops, lobster, clams etc.
I know seafood is good for you but I can't get over that fish taste.Ha ha.
Anne great weight loss.
well all for now.
Tazcat
Old 12-15-2002, 04:56 AM   #71  
Ready!!!

Found the books Thanks, but would still like to know what one is best to start with? and a bit about this Gazell, Thanks a bunch,
Tazcat, now 5:55am must go to work,
Old 12-15-2002, 11:10 AM   #72  

Hi everyone,
Taz, I'd have to say the new one is the one to get, Fast and Easy. Just because it has the newest information in it. Plus, there are some recipes for just basic stuff like ketchup, bbq sauce, things that are staples but expensive to buy and the recipes are -fast and easy.
I have a gazelle and I use it almost everyday. I have severe arthritis in my right ankle joint as well as my knees. Oh, the pleasures of getting older. Anyway, there is no impact on your joints. I find I feel like I'm running on the thing, something I haven't done in years. It has no impact on your spine either, now that I have messed that up too, I can say for sure it doesn't hurt your back. It folds up flat and doesn't require a lot of room. It is well made. It is a great cardio work out, my heart rate really gets up there. It has helped my leg muscles and arm muscles become much stronger. It even works on your bottom, chest and back muscles. If I could do only one thing, this would be it.

Today, I used the total gym for the first time. It was a good workout and I feel pretty good after doing it. It is going to take a little getting use to, I folded my finger up in the thing when I was putting it away, but other than that, it's great.

Anne, I'm glad your losing again. When your stalled, even if your losing size, if your not losing weight, it sure makes a person feel like something isn't right. I'm sure I'll stall again, I just hope it doesn't happen too soon, I'm really enjoying seeing the scale move down.

Well, have a good Sunday, we should probably start a new thread tomorrow for the new week. I don't know, but I wonder if it costs more to have longer threads like this one.

Later, Nikki
Old 12-15-2002, 11:22 AM   #73  

Angry Hey there!

I believe I've hit a plateau in the weight loss dept. It never fails, the first 10-12 lbs. comes off fairly easy, then BOOM! Usually when this happens I give up, but this time I have vowed not to. At this point, I don't really care because all my clothes fit me again, and I know I can stick it out.

tazcat, it's nice seeing your posts again. Glad that you've found Suzanne's newest book. Actually, all her books are basically the same, going over the rules of the diet, only the recipes and photos are different in each book. Her earlier recipes are more gourmet type recipes, which are delicious, but the newest book is for busy people who either don't care to cook, or don't have time to cook. She also has a dessert recipe cookbook, which I have and there are some fabulous things in there. One of the best cookbooks though, if you can find it, is her recipe contest cookbook where people who are Somersizing developed the recipes.

nikki, last night I made the spiced whipped cream in Suzanne's newest book. It was YUMMY!! Yesterday I was watching HSN and they were selling Wolfgang Puck's hand blender/chopper. Debbie, who does a lot of cooking when Suzanne is on, demonstrated making whipped cream from skim milk. I couldn't believe it! So...I bought one. On WW, it costs me a lot of points for real whipped cream, so if I could make it out of skim milk, that would be great. It's weird, real whipped cream has a high point value, but for Cool Whip, which has so many things in it that I can't pronounce, has a very low point value. It's funny you should mention that in Suzanne's new book Dr. Swarzbein told her to eat a small potato for ther seratonin (SP?) level. I have this one diet book in my diet book library, called "The Last Diet You Will Ever Need", I forget who wrote it. It was a low carb/low sugar diet, and she said to eat a potato, cook it anyway you want, except fried, every night before you go to bed. HMMMMM!

Hi Jennifer, Su, mauvaisroux, ANNE, & Kathy.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Aleka
Old 12-16-2002, 06:24 AM   #74  

Angry

See you on the new thread!