View Poll Results: Where do you buy your plus size clothes?
women's dept of major dept store, ex: dillards 3 20.00%
women's dept of discount store ex:Walmart 6 40.00%
Speciality Plus Size store ex: Catherines 7 46.67%
Plus Size Catalogs ex: Lane Bryant, Roamans 2 13.33%
Order off the internet 4 26.67%
Other 1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2002, 06:52 PM   #1  
Hang In There

Default Where do you buy your plus size clothes?

I'm just curious about where everyone shops for plus size clothes. After you finish the poll, if you could post with more info, it's be great. Thanks

Oh yeah, I made it so you can pick more than one answer.

Last edited by ageoldie; 09-01-2002 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:14 PM   #2  

Funny, I just went shopping today. I thought I wore a size 14, but I had to buy 16's today in shorts. DH swears they must be sized small. Gotta love him for it, but I know the truth. I bought them at Academy, it's a sporting goods store here in FL. End of summer sale (?? There's another season here in FL besides hotter than hades?).
Old 09-01-2002, 11:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 262/262/170

Height: 5'10"

I LIVE at The Avenue - have a gold card that I hope to destroy by the end of the school year! I also shop Lane Bryant stores and order online at Land's End. More than a number on the scale, I just want to be able to buy and wear a size 12 or 10 again (haven't since high school).
Old 09-02-2002, 01:38 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

I'm a Lane Bryant addict! Most of my 'nice' clothes come from that store, and most casual clothes like shorts and t-shirts come from places like Target and Old Navy.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:08 AM   #5  
Slimwithin

We have a chain store called Pennington's Warehouse which specializes in discount plus sizes. I get a lot of my clothes there. I find the specialty stores are really pricy and often they don't have the elastic waists that I require.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:49 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

Default geezzz.. such a simple question

and i had to really think about it!!!

a year ago, the only place i could get clothes was by catalog, or internet and very few places had them large enough for me.

and now, i'm doing well at lane bryant and the avenue. i tend to avoid the discount stores because the sizing is so far off. those jammies i bought yesterday: the 3x set i can't even get past my knees, but the 2x set fits!!!! a little snug in the middle, but it fits!!!!

i find the major dept stores just too discouraging. so many of them stick the large-size clothes in a corner, often on a different floor, even, way far away from the accessories, the makeup, and everyone else. i really and truly resent being treated like a second class citizen, especially since i'm handing over a premium anyway because the clothes are larger. so i don't shop at these stores very often. unless they integrate our clothes.

lord and taylor does a decent job... the large size clothes are right across from scarves and pocketbooks, and caddy corner from the jewelry dept. it doesn't matter at all to me that 3/4 of the rest of the floor is for skinny minnies, as long as i can go back and forth and have the same access to accessories as everyone else..

yeah, call me a flaming B**** but i have a low tolerance for corporate rudeness.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:07 AM   #7  

Angry

They have a lot of nice plus sized clothes at Dress Barn outlet store, and also the Bon Ton stores. It always makes me angry whenever I walk by the plus size dept. in some stores and see how they put the clothes on the racks. Sometimes it looks so messy compared to the other depts.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:47 PM   #8  

Well, for Canadian shoppers--I sometimes go to Addition Elle, but mostly Zellers or Walmart. I usually buy the nice things for Miree, not for me. I don't mind really, I would rather be proud of her and not waste money on clothes that aren't going to fit me. I also shop at thrift stores--Goodwill, Value Village (my fave ), and Sally Ann.
Old 09-02-2002, 02:46 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I usually check out Sears Catalogue but go to the store to try stuff on before I order it! Right now I am between plus and a regular size 18 so .... I get great bargains at Giant Tiger (Boutique GT) and have spotted good casual stuff in walmart and Zellers. When I get to the big city, I usually check out Penningtons Wearhouse too.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:58 PM   #10  

I head to the Avenue in our mall when I need some nicer clothes. I usually shop at Mervyn's or JC Penny's, or a thrift shop if I'm lucky to find some quality clothes there. I find that clothes from some of the discount stores don't retain their shape or have styles that I don't prefer.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:09 PM   #11  
Hang In There

We used to have a Pennington's in one of our malls and I loved it but it's not there anymore. It wasn't warehouse or discount by any means, but I loved their clothes.

I saw today that we are having an AVENUE open up in our mall soon. I'd never heard of it, but now you have me wanting to speed it up a little!

We have a truely discount Plus Size store in Dallas that's called 7th Avenue. I doubt if they are connected. It is really something else. sometime you go and they don't have anything you'd have, other time You could spend a fortune. They get a lot of overruns from HSN and QVC because I recognize the labes. (although they are supposedly cut out, you can still read most of them) We were there one night and they had Maggie Sweet (HSM) Peachskin pants for 5.00 a pair. I bouth 4 pair and my mom bought 4 more. I've since been back and bought 4 more. HSN sells the exact pants fot 31.50. I also got several Quacker Factory (QVC) tops for 7.50. I love a bargin!

What made me decide to post this question is that I got a new Coldwater Creek cataloge. When I loose enough weight that I have to buy new closthes, they are all going to come from there.
I look at every page and drool. That Is ME!!! I wish! That is the style I'd like to wear and look good in.

Last edited by ageoldie; 09-02-2002 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:20 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 275/222/154

Height: 5'7"

I shop in bulk, pun intended, at Additionelle and also at Cotton ginny Plus. Like everyone else, I'd love to be able to go buy something in a less fluffy size. I'd love to be able to get into a 16 or even an 18 someday.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:37 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

Default i'm with you, barb!!!

coldwater creek has some LOVELY clothes...

for some reason, i've got my heart/mind set on a jeans jacket for this fall. not that i should really buy anything, but it's been on my mind.

any ideas on where to get one for little $$$$???
Old 09-06-2002, 12:46 PM   #14  
Simple is Good!

S/C/G: 345/323.6/299

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I saw today that we are having an AVENUE open up in our mall soon. I'd never heard of it, but now you have me wanting to speed it up a little!
There's one at Vista Ridge (in Lewisville) and one in Irving...if you want to appease your curiosity.

I'm a Lane Bryant girl. I go to the Avenue and Cathreine's too, but not as much as LB.