Old 06-04-2002, 06:12 PM   #1  
Hang In There

Default To Add To My Confusion...

I bought this "snack bar" that said it was for low carb/high protein dieters. I know, I know, this is a WOE, not a diet anyway it says in big letters on the front 3 grams Effective Carb Count. Okay that sound good, but just for laughs I look on the back. I thought ECC's were total carbs less the fiber. The back of the package says Total Carbs 24g [size=huge] 24g???[/size] Dietary fiber 5grams. I know it's been a while since I was in school, but back then 24-5 = 19. So what does the 3grams ECC mean?

I didn't realize this was going to be so hard!!!
Old 06-04-2002, 07:17 PM   #2  

I don't know the answer to your question but I know that life is difficult...Liz

Hang in there!
Old 06-04-2002, 07:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Talking I'm as confused as you are!!

So I went to google and searched for effective carb count.

Found this site, hope you can understand it better than me!!

http://www.greenbeanz.com/countingcarbs.html

Then there's this article, confusion personified!!

http://www.lowcarbnexus.com/carbcount_article.htm

Good points made, if you get past the big long hard to pronounce words!!

Last edited by goodforme; 06-04-2002 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:08 PM   #4  

Hmmm...can't say as I know much about this but if there's two carb counts on the packaging, I would say avoid it completely. Seems like these folks just want to make a quick buck and not be honest with what they are selling.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:53 PM   #5  
workin' my way back down

OK -- I went to the Atkins store and asked THEM about the "net" carb counts. According to what they tell me, many things are considered "soluble" carbs, but are NOT required to be listed individually on the label, that is why we cannot necessarily figure out for ourselves what the effective carbs are - EVEN ON THE ATKINS BARS! So I said to them that according to what they say, it is my understanding that unless a bar LISTS the effective or net carbs, I better not eat eat it, right? answer: RIGHT!
Old 06-04-2002, 08:58 PM   #6  
Senior Chicky

Angry I guess this is good news & bad news!

I've been trying soooo hard to stay OP with my crazy schedule and bought Carb Solution bars....Yuck-yuck-yuck! (I think I managed 1/2 one) So, if I can't trust the package carb count I don't have to feel guilty over not eating them, right? That's a good thing, right?

J
Old 06-04-2002, 09:10 PM   #7  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

from my understanding there are several things that are carbish but they are not absorbed in the system one of them is sugar alcohols, and i can not remember the other. they are not suposed to have any effect on the insulin levels so there for not counted. well on most people it has no effect but on others it is the taste that triggers the body into physiological responces like if i say cheese cake with a rich chocolage covering how many people have their moth wattering for some. that is the physiological responce, so the taste of the sweetness will illicite a responce that will trigger cravings and some times trick the body into releasing insulin. there for watch your responce. if you start having cravings or feel hungry after them then stop and eat them only in emergency cases. I have a stash for just that purpose.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Talking What she said!!

One of those articles mentioned that glycerin is in some foods and the FDA DOES NOT regulate whether it is put on labels or not. The good news is some people can tolerate it. The bad news is some people it affects like a carb. Who knows what else we are eating that we don't know about????

Of course, unless we stay home and raise chickens and pigs and beef and have a garden, we will never know what we are eating. I guess it's just best to keep informed, huh?

Good night, everyone!
Old 06-05-2002, 08:31 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

good thing all those bars taste so gross i only eat them if it's an emergency!!!

i've been experimenting with the myoplex low carb bars. not too terrible. at least i can gag down about 10 grams of protein from it without choking and being grossed out.

i'd rather have some yogurt!!!

oh, and i tried the myoplex premixed strawberry cream protein drink today. an extremely pleasant surprise!!!!!

no strawberry milk shake, but it really wasn't too bad!