Old 04-23-2002, 09:14 AM   #16  

This may mean nothing, Threads, but I think you're supposed to drink at least 4 quarts of water ... perhaps you're not getting enough and need to do some more "flushing out." I had a hard time getting started with water, but I stopped buying sodas and just keep my favorite cup filled all day.

I'm a strong believer in the premise that some plans work great for some and not so great for others. The trick is finding what works for you!
Old 04-23-2002, 09:45 AM   #17  

I know that I drink enough water. anywhere from a half gallon to a gallon a day. I crave water. I decided this morning that I am going to call my doctor. I am so swelled up!!! My neck has a burning feeling on one side and at the base it has swelling. A year ago in March I had surgery to have a swollen lymph node taken out. It wasn't cancer,,,(Thank you Jesus),,so this probably isn't anything either. I know that there is something wrong. If the doctor can't find out what is going on I will go to a allergist. I am a Veteran so I go to the VA for the doctor. For an allergist I will be on my own. I do appreciate all the suggestions, and I will keep trying. I think it is time to check in with the doctors even though I hate to. Wish me luck. Threads
Old 04-25-2002, 01:52 AM   #18  
Lifetime Member

Hi Threads, and all you Great Chicks here:

The reason I suggested reading the low carb book of your choice BEFORE starting the diet/WOL, and why I suggest reading as many low carb books as you can ... "digest" (sorry, such a bad pun) is for this exact reason.

I cannot speak for CAD because I read it so long ago I cannot remember, but as for CALP, the correct way to follow the plan is to understand it. It is not simply eating the Reward Meal within 60 minutes, although that is one of the rules. FYI, it is because your pancreas sends insulin to cover the food you are ingesting at the time. After about 70 minutes the pancreas will send out another dab of insulin if you are still eating. If you complete the meal in 60 minutes, you don't get the extra insulin. And it is the excess insulin that was causing the problems we had (have).

Other "rules" of CALP Reward Meal is to eat a large salad before the meal (fiber is really needed on low carb diets because we tend to get... uh, plugged up. And from the first nibble while cooking or the first bite of salad, it must be 60 minutes to complete the meal. Also, the carb of the Reward Meal needs to be about the same size in total quantity as the protein. If you choose wine for the carb, it must be about the same size as the protein.

And there are many other suggestions, such as about the chromium, exercise (they suggest it is great but not necessary), what to do if you want dessert, and lots of other information. It is always good to try to understand the reason for what you are doing.

As to the number of carbs per meal, I try to keep it under 10 per meal for the non-reward meal.

Good luck. Always delighted to answer questions.
Old 05-26-2002, 04:18 PM   #19  
Old Cackler

Default more good info for bella

here's another one with lots of info for you...

good luck!!! and ask lots of questions...