Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 06-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #1  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default What to do about excessive upper-leg hair?

So here's my problem. My legs are man-level hairy. I suspect that my legs have gotten hairier below the knee since I started shaving them there, but I'm not sure. I've never really shaved above the knee, and I thought it wasn't much of a problem, but this year my friends have been teasing me about it, as has my boyfriend, so I'm thinking it may be time for it to go.

My worry, though, is that if I shave it will just get worse, and it won't be a good shave anyway. Below the knees my legs never look hair-free. The hair is so thick and dark you can see black dots all over my legs even when they're shaved as close as I can get them, shaving cream, snazzy razor, all that. I tried hair removal cream, but it just took my skin off and left the hair totally intact.

Is there anything I do to stop myself from being so hairy without becoming hairier?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by ImpalaHoarder; 06-28-2010 at 03:16 PM.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

Laser hair removal? Costly, but if it makes you less self conscious, it would be worth it.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #3  
Captain Prescriptivism

Torister: Thanks, but unfortunately, I'm a poor college student at the moment, so that's not really an option
Old 06-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

The whole shaving makes you hair grow back thicker deal is bogus. You're hair is what it is. When balding men shave there heads it doesn't start coming back!

I feel ya on being able to see the roots of your hair through your skin; I have dark hair and pale skin. Tanning helps (sunless tanner if you prefer). Otherwise, perhaps try waxing. It's kinda hard to do yourself, so enlist the help of a good friend.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I'd be more inclined to get rid of the boyfriend who thinks it's fun to tease me about something I'm already sensitive about, and worry less about the hair.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #6  
Captain Prescriptivism

Don't worry, it's gentle teasing. :P Neither of us is particularly thin-skinned and we tease each other sometimes. I prefer to joke about such things- it makes me less uncomfortable about it. It's more that I didn't realize people even noticed until this year.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Impala - I'm a major fan of laser hair removal (best thing ever!!) but totally understand that it's not a good fit for a student budget. I haven't tried the new shave minimizing lotions at all but they're supposed to make your hair grow in less quickly - anyone tried these?
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

My best recommendation (beyond laser hair removal which $ has not allowed personally) would be getting into a waxing routine with a professional. The way it has been described to me is that although hair does not grow back
more when you shave, it is naturally going to be thicker because you're cutting it off with a razor leaving the base girth intact. When waxing, if it's done properly it is taken out completely including the root which means that the next round of hair is all fresh baby new ones so will not be as thick or as numerous.

I have certainly noticed a big difference in how much growth I have. My mum had her legs waxed for 15 years or so and now basically needs to get it done once a year. All that is needed in between is a pair of tweezers for the odd one.

The biggest problem is in the summer and trying to avoid looking fuzzy. So it kind of works out the best in the winter to start or if you're okay with wearing something that will cover your legs in the summer.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3

Nair has a lotion with an exfoliating sponge that works pretty well. You keep it on a little longer then usual then scrub it off in the shower with the scrubby side of the sponge. Smells awful-works good. Skin feels great.
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #10  

I would go for waxing too if the hair is thick. In my case, shaving definitely does make the hair grow back darker, longer and thicker.

I didn't shave my legs until I was 22 because my leg hair was always quite fine and it was blonde so didn't show up too badly. I felt self conscious though about what was there and started shaving. I don't regret it at all but lets just say I no longer have the option of not shaving

I've tried waxing and couldn't recommend it highly enough. Good luck!
PapayaMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

I second the suggestion about tanning- If your legs darken up a bit the hair root won't be as noticeable. Then I wouldn't worry about the upper leg hair if it's not too bad. Let people tease- unless the hair bothers you leave it.

If no one said a word about that hair would it bother you? If the answer is yes then shave/wax it, if the answer is no then leave it.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #12  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Definitely waxing. It can last from 6-8 weeks and the hair grows back thinner over time. I love that sexy feeling I get from getting my legs waxed.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:22 AM   #13  
Ready for a change!

S/C/G: S/C/G: 277/277/150

Height: 5'8"

Definitely, definitely go with waxing. When I was reading your post, it reminded me of myself! I definitely got my dad's genes on the hair part haha, my legs are really bad too! But last year I started waxing them and oh my goodness, it feels GREAT! The first time WILL hurt especially since you've been shaving but its like a second of pain that goes away if you just rub your leg a little (the lady I go to knows I'm sensitive to the pain on my shin so she does that for me lol). My hair is growing back much thinner, and less frequently! And when its growing back, its not growing back on my whole leg, but its little areas here and there that are barely noticeable. Its been 4 weeks so far and I'm still good =D
Stay away from hair removal creams, I know people who have ended up with bad results with those (ie burnt skin that left marks behind!). Waxing is definitely the best (cheaper) option for us folk with the very hair legs :P I even started waxing my arms late last year (I'm Indian so I have dark hair haha) and its aaaaamazing! You'll LOVE the smooth feeling

I sound like a spokesperson for wax...but seriously its awesome:P
love114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:09 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

I've recently started using an epilator, which I'm finding works really well!
If money is an issue you may find that a better option than waxing since it's basically a one time purchase, although from what I have read epilators don't work as well for everyone.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I like laser. Ditto the thoughts above though on getting rid of a guy that pokes fun. I don't think it's appropriate--even if done in jest. I just don't like that sort of "fun."
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote