Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 06-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #1  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Default Beauty... Without the cost?

I would LOVE to be a girly-girl who goes to the salon, gets her hair done, nails and face. I'd love to get everything done... but the thing that stops me is the cost. I'm SO frugal and thinking about spending money on something that's so temporary... I don't know. It doesn't sit well with me.

Let me add up the (estimated) cost of things:

Manicure (every 2 weeks): $10
Pedicure (every 8 weeks): $20
Eyebrows waxed (every 8 weeks): $10
Hair colored (every 8 weeks): $50
Hair cut (every 12 weeks): $20
Brazilian wax (every 8 weeks): $50

Cost for every 24 weeks: ManicurePrice*12 + PedicurePrice*3 + EyebrowPrice*3 + HairColorPrice*3 + HairCutPrice*2 + BrazilianWax*3 = 10*12 + 20*3 + 10*3 + 50*3 + 20*2 + 50*3 = 120 + 60 + 30 + 150 + 40 + 150 = $550

Cost for every 1 week: 550/24 = $22.92

Cost for every 1 month: 22.92*4 = $91.67

Jeez! Though, I don't have a job and therefore I don't have an income... but even my dear boyfriend who works full time wouldn't spend more than $40 a month on himself for fun. If that.

So, back to what I wanted to say.... where do you guys cut the costs? I was raised by my dad and love him oodles, but I don't know much about girly things because I had no one to look to for that. Right now I spend ZERO dollars on myself and my beauty. (Okay, maybe I get my hair cut... but that's only twice a year MAX.)

Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

i totally get where you're coming from. I have been unemployed for a about a year and a half, and depend on my parents for everything. BUT, stuff like makeup, clothes, and that kind of stuff are really high on my priority list (that and groceries). I don't really get manicures and all that, but i love lush bath and beauty products. I go every 3 months and splurge about 50$, which is very reasonable for shampoo, lotion, and bath stuff. (i do a lot of manicures, pedicure, and waxes myself, which cuts down the price by like 90%).

When i do get manicures and waxes, it's easier to upkeep yourself. (like getting your eyebrows waxed, and tweezing every week to keep up the shape)

And with my hair, i cut it every 3 months. which really keep down the price. My haircut is very short, and i ask for a style that will work with a little length added to it. I don't color my hair. It's a personal preference thing, but reconsider doing it at home (the box stuff has come a LONG way) the perfect 10 stuff is wonderful and like 17 dollars. In short, since i'm unemployed, i have a lot of time on my hands to research beauty methods and DIY.

hm, sorry if i blabbed too much. i love girl talk, lol.

Last edited by therex; 06-27-2010 at 11:24 PM.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I do my own manicures and pedicures, I know a couple professional hair stylists (my aunt and a school friend) so costs are lower, I stick to minimal beauty products, a good moisturizer. It's easy to be girlie and frugal. If you want lower cost hair styles/color and manicure/pedicure go to a beauty school if there is one. A lot of them love to have real clients to work on.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 161/135/115

Height: 5'3"

Being a girl isn't cheap! Since entering college I've felt the need to keep myself looking better than ever while making sure the cost doesn't go above my budget. I've found the best way to do this is to analyze what you are willing to go without (or can do yourself) and what you absolutely MUST splurge on.

For example, I can do my own manicures and pedicures as long as I have the supplies, which end up being way cheaper to buy than a few visits to the nail salon. Plus, sometimes it's just best to forgo polish and just have some well cleaned nails. Also, learning to do your own eyebrows saves a lot of money. I will, however, splurge on haircuts and coloring because I know for a fact that I can't get that right. I've had too many horrible dyeing experiences...

OH also, if keeping yourself pretty is a huge deal, try looking into your other spendings and try to clean those up. Last semester, I saved a bunch of money just by switching from bottled water to a Brita filter.
Halfhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/211/180

Height: 5"7

here is the best beauty secret.... it's heading to your local beauty school. they need models to practice on. It seems scary right? I was terrified the first time i went and had a student cut my hair. But it was one of the best ones I 've ever had. They are nervous so they have there teacher checking every cut. so you have an expert right there. And the same goes for waxing and nails. I was getting my nails and waxing for free because students need so many hours of practice before they can be certified. and then after she was certified she cut me a deal after just to keep me as a client. It cuts down cost immensely.
Krist10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Find a local Aveda or Paul Mitchell Institute. You can get a top rate cut, dye, and style for a fraction of what you would pay at a salon. I go to the Aveda Institute here and can get a haircut for $12 and a full color for $35.

I learned how to wax my own eyebrows because I don't trust just anyone with them. Other waxing services I leave to the professionals. The place where I go only does waxing and they have "model" days where they will offer half price services so the newer cerologists can practice. I'm thinking about doing that for my next bikini.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Beauty schools are a great way to save money. Some price the services ridiculously cheap, and usually I've had better results in a school than in pricey salons... except for one aspect.

The students are often SLOW. They don't lack skill (they have to practice on mannikins and fellos students before they're ever allowed near a paying customer).

Because they're being graded, they tend to be very careful (which isn't a bad thing) sometimes to the point of overcautiousness, which sometimes means it can take a little longer than it would in other salons. I don't mind, because the amount of savings is well worth the extra wait.

Eyebrow waxing was the first "luxury" I gave up. I've been "maintaining" my eyebrows since my last eyebrow wax, by plucking. Instead of waiting for the eyebrows to grow out, I just check my brows in the mirror every day. If there's anything long enough to pluck, I pluck it with a pair of good tweezers (I just went to Walgreens and picked the middle priced ones).

Since I'm only plucking two or three hairs every other day or so, and they're really short when I do pull them, it doesn't hurt and I can see where I should pluck. If I let it go until I can't tell where I should pluck and where I shouldn't, then I go and get it professionally done again, but if I keep an eye on it, it's really easy to see what needs to be done. I haven't had to have my eyebrows waxed in about four or five years. I would never be able to pluck my own eyebrows "from scratch." I'd never get them even, but it's really easy to see which ones need pulling if you're checking every morning.

Hair color, I admit I do sporadically - which is why I pick a shade that's close to my own. Even going very red for SIL's wedding a couple weeks ago, I picked a color that is the same depth of color as my natural color. That is the red isn't darker or lighter than my natural mousy brownish blond (or blondish brown). Even though the roots aren't red, I can get away with coloring less often, because the roots aren't dramatically lighter or darker than the rest of my head.

I used to color my own hair, and the results were pretty good, but the mess I made in the bathroom wasn't worth it.

Beauty supply houses are great for salon products, and hair accessories (usually cheaper than any other store except for Walmart).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: ---/---/120

Height: 5'2

I don't cut cost's anywhere. -_-
Needless to say, I get what I want from my parents.

But I think it's well deserved, I have a high GPA, I help around the house, I help at my aunts store (free of charge).

Although, I do have very bad pain tolerance, SO I prefer to pluck/thread my own eyebrows I can do it from scratch, I also do my friends/cousins/aunts if they ask. I also cut/dye my own hair again also help if others ask. I don't like going to salons, and I give myself pedicures when I need to. I do go to get my acrylics filled every couple of weeks. I do get laser hair removal but it's well worth it, and I get Brazilian waxes when I feel like I want to be smooth for a while instead of shaving.

I manage just fine. :]

I think with most things its a skill you can teach yourself and spend less on.
JustImagine is offline   Reply With Quote