Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #1  
Spiritual Being

S/C/G: 155/152/135

Height: 5' 6''

Default Something for acne & wrinkles?

Okay, experts, I need your help & guidance, please.

I am exercising & drinking lots more water, but my face is breaking out more than ever. I look like I am a 13-year old, again! I don't want to dry out my skin, because I am concerned about wrinkles (yes, I am getting to that age! lol).

I have tried Proactiv, Neutrogena, Oil of Olay & Murad. I am planning on scheduling an appointment with a dermatologist 1st thing Monday morning.

Is there anything over the counter that is good for acne & wrinkles? If not, what should I ask the doc for when I go for the appt.?

Thanks in advance for y'all's advice and/or suggestions!
rnntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #2  

Talk to your dermatologist about a Retin-A cream. It's used to treat acne, but has the benefit of building up collagen, which fills in fine lines and wrinkles. It also does some serious exfoliating, which makes your skin red and flaky for a while, but your skin gets really smooth. I've been using it for nearly 2 years and I see a big difference in my skin. I only use it about once a week now for maintenance, but when I feel my skin is looking a little less "fresh", I'll bump it up to every night and go through a big exfoliation, which really helps.

It is, however, absolutely critical that you use sunscreen (and a high SPF like a 30 or higher). The retin-a makes the skin much more sensitive to the sun and you can really damage it if you don't use sunscreen. I use a 45 always!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 342.4/288.4/160.33338

Height: 5'8

You said that you have tried Neutrogena. Did you try their Blemish/Wrinkle face wash? I have been using it a week or two now and really like it. My face feels nicer already. I am using it to help prevent wrinkles, so hopefully it will work. It does have a weird texture though.
candogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

Have you tried Oil of Olay Total Effects anti-aging anti-blemish? It comes in a little 1.7 oz tube. It contains Salicylic Acid for the blemishes, it's also very light feeling.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

I've noticed my face, neck and back are breaking out a *lot* more since I started exercising as well. I think with me, it has to do with not sweating much - I can exercise for 40 minutes with a heart rate of 140-150, but I barely sweat. I'll be hot and red, but without the sweat to clear out the pores, I think the crud just gets trapped.

I've tried the neutrogena salicylic acid acne body wash, and it does help a fair bit, but it leaves my face all dry and flaky so I have to use a moisturizer. It works the same way Retin-A does, but it's a lot less powerful. I also use a Vichy salicylic acid 'stick' that's got some cover up colour to it - if I use it when a pimple is just starting, it often prevents it from getting worse.

This may not be your problem, but it might help - DH used to get REALLY bad outbreaks of acne when he got hot. His acne turned out to be caused by a fungal overgrowth (the sweat and oil he produced when he was hot fed the fungus) and the treatment was a topical antifungal cream. Turns out the same drug is in Nizoral anti dandruff shampoo (Nizoral is *much* cheaper than the prescription cream!), so now he uses that as a body wash once a week and it keeps his acne from acting up.

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #6  
Spiritual Being

Thanks Darby, candogirl, friendlykat4u & bopeep!

I have tried Oil of Olay & Neutrolgena's acne & wrinkle products. They didn't work for me. UGHHH!

Darby, I guess I will be asking for Retin-A. I was thinking there was something new out that is a lil bit better, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. I hate when I have senior moments!

Thanks, again for the great advice & quick responses! I knew I could depend on y'all.

Edited to add: I found out what the other rx cream is. It is Differin. Has anybody used that?

Last edited by rnntn; 04-13-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Just a thought - how long did you use the Neutrogena and Oil of Olay salycylic acid stuff? I ask because it often takes about four weeks for it to start working and it's easy to get discouraged and ditch it before then. Some people notice an improvement sooner than that, but that's not always the case.

You may wind up needing something more powerful, but I just wanted to mention the time bit just in case. I know how frustrating it is to want a quick resolution to that fresh crop of acne!

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #8  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

I use the oily skin formula from Mary Kay. It took about two weeks for my skin to clear up. But I love it. Feels great!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #9  
FB

I love Retin-A too, it gets my vote!
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #10  
Spiritual Being

Well, folks, I got some Retin-A today. I will let you know how it works out. Thank you so much for all of y'all's advice!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 282/257/when it feels right

I use Acne Free www.acnefree.com I buy it in the grocery store (Superfresh for $20.00) It is a 3 step process just like ProActiv (You can buy
it anywhere... Walmart, Target, etc..) I too drink lots of water and my face was still breaking out until I started using this stuff. I have used ProActiv in the past and it wasn't as effective to me. Good Luck!
K-boogie is offline   Reply With Quote