Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-24-2007, 09:38 AM   #16  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

So here is the true question ...WHO likes vanity sizing? Are there really people out there who just like the number? Cause vanity sizing is sure as shootin pissing me off!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:03 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Actually, the sizing hasn't really changed all that much. Torrid started using the 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. and their 0 would pretty much coordinate with 0X (fits like a misses large), their 1 would be 1X, or about a plus 14-16, their 2 is pretty much the same as a 2X, and so on and so forth.

I don't think the point is to make a plus sized woman sound like she is in a junior size 3, but to take away the "X" out of the equation, you know?

When I was a kid, and you ordered clothes from JCPenney or Sears, the kids plus sizes were called "Pretty Plus" and "Husky". They have since changed it to half sizes...like a girls size 8 slim, 8 regular, and 8 1/2.

It isn't vanity sizing-like how a size 16 today is much larger than a 16 20 years ago, but just a name change. I always hated the husky and pretty plus names when I was a kid (even though I wore a regular). Husky just sounded so awful to me.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #18  
Am I there yet?

S/C/G: 205/197/130

Height: 5'5"

I guess I am not that bothered by it. Jeans are jeans, and I may fit into a 14 somewhere but a 16 somewhere else. I never really saw it as vanity sizing when LB switched to their new sizes. I'm not dumb and neither are my friends, and knowing that I fit into a size 1 doesn't change the fact that I'm fat.

But I do second what aphil said - I hate those terms, too, especially "Husky." I also hate "women's" clothing meaning plus-sized clothing in some stores...like since you are fat, you're now a "Woman," but if you're not fat, you're a "Miss." Ross's "Women's World" comes to mind, as well as Kohl's.
2Fat4myJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #19  

I do want to add, that part of the reason that sizes vary so much is partially do to the styling/genre of the clothing. There is actually a difference in design between juniors clothing, and misses, just as there is between womens (or plus) and misses. This is why an 18 in misses fits differently than a 18W or 18 plus.

The same thing happens with infants/toddler clothing. 24 months and 2T fit a child of the same weight/height, but there are differences in the styling, based on whether it is a child, or a larger infant wearing that particular size.

Juniors normally fall in odd sizes, and misses in even-so that you can tell them apart. Some clothing are made to fit both, and might say size 7/8 or 13/14, etc. on the tag.

Juniors clothing are meant more for teens-the hips are narrower, the room for the bust isn't as large, etc. basically meant for a teenage figure. A misses (even sizing) is meant for a mature female-with rounder hips and fuller bust.

If a woman is straighter hipped and a B cup, she is going to fit into juniors better than a C cup female with a more hourglass shape-even if they are the same weight. So, depending on how developed the figure is, is why misses or juniors might fit one individual better than the other.

The plus sizing overlap (usually starting at 14W) is the same way. A plus size will allow a little more room in the bust, shoulders, upper arms, calves, etc. than a regular size 14 will.

(I do seamstressing, BTW...that's how I know. )
Old 08-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #20  

Height: 5'8

on my first visit to torrid i thought they were nuts i dislike their system so much now that i finally wear normal numbers. i use to shop there and for a long time i never really knew what size i was so when i went to normal stores i had to try on various sizes.
pinupdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #21  

Most stores have online size charts to help out, take a look before you shop somewhere-it gives you an idea on what size to try on.