Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-13-2006, 02:05 PM   #1  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Unhappy Help me please....Struggling.

I posted my frustrations in a long RANT on the 100lb board. But, I thought that I would get some other perspectives here.

I really I think want to lose 20 more lbs. Regardless of my ticker or s/c/g whatever says.

How do I do it? Sometimes I almost "forget" how to lose weight and panic that I've lost the magic and won't be able to do it again.

How did you get over the body/mind hurdles and lose the last 20?

How do I lose weight? I know, I know, calories in v. calories out. But I just feel like there has got to be some pill or tea out there that will make all my troubles along with 20lbs *poof* into the air.

Help me! I am going crazy and struggling like heck. Worst of all I have been RAVENOUSLY hungry the past few days and just have fed what my body has been craving for some unknown reason.

I don't trust the "listen to your body" philosophy, though. Because my body has proven itself unreliable in the past.

Also, my head has been spinning fromt the weight loss and surgeries that I have had and that are to come in the next 6mos. I just want to be the Charlotte 6mos from now, because surely I will feel much more sorted out; body and mind.

I am sorry if this is all incoherent, I am just sooooo confused. I think I need to take a nap!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:54 PM   #2  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

I sympathize. I've often wished for a fast-forward button on my life. And I also know what it's like to feel like your "magic" slipping away. *hugs*

I want to say (and I truly believe) that "you can do it!" You know how to lose weight, and you know that it will just take time and good habits to accomplish the rest of it. The funny thing is, though, that I need to be saying those things to MYSELF, too.

I have begun to wonder if I'm really supposed to be maintaining yet, or if I copped out by setting a higher goal weight than I originally intended. Logically, I know that as long as I eat a reasonable number of calories that come from good food instead of junk, and get the exercise I ought, I'll end up at my perfect weight whether I'm actively trying to lose more or not. But I've still got a lot of thoughts in the back of my mind that tell me I'm not good enough, and that striving for maintenance instead of doing everything I can to lose is just being lazy. Does that sound familiar?

You are right, though: Calories in, calories out. And all of our mental hurdles and uncertainty combined won't change that simple fact. Hang in there!!!
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

The only thing I did to lose the last 20 was the exact same thing I did to lose the first 70, but it just took a lot longer. I, too, have struggled with the thought of maybe I'm just being lazy and should I shoot for a lower goal. I am battling with stopping this negative thinking and trying to be happy where I'm at. Trying to eat healthy, exercise and be happy with my body. If I slowly lose more lbs. over this next yr. while trying to maintain, that is great, but if I maintain where I am now, that will be great too. I can't use the "listen to my body" technique either cause my body says "give me cake".
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

This is only advice, feel free to disregard!

You've worked hard, lost a ton of weight, you look beautiful, you are a winner at losing. If you are struggling, it might be time to rest for a few minutes. Not quit dieting! Not give up! Not eat cheeseburgers and nachos every meal of the day. Rest and practice maintenance.

Find a good estimate for your maintenance level calories and slowly increase to maintenance level. Keep making healthy choices, keep packing meals, keep working out, just eat a little more, enjoy how far you've come, get used to the new you. (I don't say "listen to your body" because I can't do that either, track calories consumed every day! stay slightly under maintenance level).

After Christmas, when you have eaten well for a few months, when your metabolism is reset, when your body is convinced famine is over, re-commit to a lower calorie level to allow further weight loss.

This is the approach that worked for me, so I am biased Good luck! You are a stunning weight loss success and getting used to maintaining is the next important (CRITICAL) step for you.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #5  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Thank you, thank you and thank you to you three.

I kind of like your advice Glory......... I notice that I have been eating a bit more lately (ugh, do to being so stressed out---about other things in my life right now---not weight related) and seem to be maintaining my weight.

Also, I think I might be getting closer and closer to my "weight set point" and my body might slowly be feeling like it is approaching a weight it doesn't like/is too low. I'm saying I'm there yet, though!!

I also think that I needed to reevaluate my goal weight. Initially I was aiming for 140, then I thought 122. Truth is, I think that 136 will be a very happy and slim number for me, and one that I can maintain. I think that for me 122 just would not work out in the long run. And, I think that maybe I do need to give my body a bit of a rest, even if only a few weeks. Even at that I should *hopefully* be able to start off 2007 as an official maintainer. That's 11 weeks away. It is a tall order but I am so close, so close and I am just going to try for it.

Btw: I am feeling better today. Could you tell that yesterday I was down in the dumps??
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:48 AM   #6  

I gained 7 pounds on my vacation and lost all but 2 pounds, and I know that 2 pounds are no big deal, but darn it! I lost those 2 before and I WILL lose them again!
My cycle is so whacked right now that I do not even know what is going on, perimenopause possibly, but I keep on thinking that those last 2 pounds are hormone weight and I don't know how to get them off!
Every time I go down 8 oz, then up 12 then down 6 then up 3!
YAARRGGGG!!!!
I'm averaging 1570 cals a day and I am 5' 6"
If I go under that I starve! I FINALLY got back on the treadmil and if I can keep it up it will help, but now that school has started I have to get up at 6AM if I want to treadmill before we start school.
I liked it better when my up and down weight was between 123 and 126. I could live with that!
Now it's 126 to 129!

MOTIVATE me!!!!!!!
please?
aschenbrodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Someone posted somewhere and called it a speedbump weight. We're ripping off that poster in the FeatherWeights forum. We're working on a speedbump plan
Please, come join us!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:20 AM   #8  

Sorry, just time for a driveby post: Take a look at the "Relapse" sticky thread here in Maintainers ... lots of useful stuff there. You can do this!
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:28 AM   #9  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Join is in Featherweights! It's under "Support Groups"

I'm also struggling with that elusive 20 and am wondering whether I should maintain here Perhaps I need a little rest too! I feel like I've been battling and treading water for a whole year (I have). Maybe next year I will properly commit to some kind of proper plan I can stick to, something that I can stick to at weekends too. Something where I say "Wednesday night is meal cooking night" or the equivalent!

Charlotte, you've done amazingly, it's sometimes hard to remember where we've come from when we are focused on what we still have to do. I vote for a little "maintenance break" I think I might join you!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote