Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-01-2004, 05:45 AM   #1  
Meg

Smile Maintainers - Week Of November 1 - 7

Let's try a weekly discussion thread! And what could be a better time to start a weekly thread than November 1, the kick-off to the Holiday Season (in my mind) and the day after Halloween, a/k/a Chocolate Day?

So how did everyone make out with Halloween? Anyone have to deal with all the goodies coming INTO the house? When my kids were little, that was the hardest part since I could control what I was giving away (hard as it is to find a candy that I don't like ) - but I didn't have any control over what was coming in the house. Specifically Reese's PB Cups. Which are the and that's all I'm saying about them.

I was thinking this morning about the next two months and about where I want to be on January 1, 2005. I weighed 136 on January 1, 2004 and that's exactly what I want to see on the scale one year later. So there it is - I'm putting it in writing for everyone to see! I'm about 4 - 5 pounds up from there right now, so my goal is to get back there in the next two months. I think that having that goal will help me stay focused over the holidays. I can't tell you what a wonderful feeling it was to wake up on New Year's Day last year and NOT have to make a resolution to lose weight!! (it ranks right up there with getting out last winter's clothes and having them still fit!)

Anyone else want to put their New Year's goal in writing? Even if it's just staying right where you are right now?

Anything special going on this week with anyone?

And, as always, everyone's welcome to post here at Maintainers! You don't have to be at goal or even close to it -- even if you're just starting out on your weight loss journey, you're welcome to join in.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:22 AM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
So how did everyone make out with Halloween?
Had one Hershey almond kiss. Know how hard it is to find the calorie count on a kiss?

Quote:
Anyone have to deal with all the goodies coming INTO the house?
Nope. We live in a security building so we don't get tricker treaters. That's one saving grace for healthy eating. Since I'm a chocoholic.

Quote:
Anyone else want to put their New Year's goal in writing? Even if it's just staying right where you are right now?
Mine is to reach, and perhaps pass that 135 goal. I'm thinking more along the lines of 130. I'll know when I'm there.

Quote:
Anything special going on this week with anyone?
Yup. Friday's my last day at work, then next week, we're moving to VA Beach.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 07:54 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

ARGHHHH!!!! I just had a longish post and LOST it!!!! Will I ever learn to put it on a word document BEFORE hand??....

Halloween -- Wasn't good... on Friday AND Sunday... had a total of 'too many' of those mini-choco bars!! Saturday I had too much wine... Funny that in MY mind wine is a non-calorie item....NOT!!!!.... and I DO know that, deep down inside!

Goal for January '05 -- I updated my Fitday just yesterday and I put my January '05 goal at 142, because on January '04 I weighed 162. The new goal will be exactly 20# in one year...

Heaven -- Moving to VA Kewl! ... Hope all goes well for you...

Well I must go get the day started... eat, gym (leg day), visit parents, back to gym for cardio with DS this afternoon...

Soooo TTFN.... ( Now I hope this post goes through )
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:58 AM   #4  

Thumbs up I survived Halloween!

Very proud to say that I survived Halloween. I ate 1/2 a peppermint patty, felt disgusted by the chemically-sweet taste and threw it out. Wahoo! My kids, those clever ones, ate a few pieces and both said "Well, we're full. Let's stop eating now." I am so proud that they have learned this message--especially my 7 yr. old daughter, who is of a normal-slim build and is constantly bombarded w/candy-cookies when we shop together (bakery counter at grocery store, etc.) Way to go for both me and my wonderful kids!

I ate a very healthy breakfast (1/2 cup hot cereal cooked with skim milk, topped with unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon). I had been eating hot cereal without measuring amount, plus using a little (well, an "unmeasured" little) pat of butter on it. As I reflect on it, not terribly surprising that i gained some weight.

My New Year goal: Be at peace with the maintenance process, no matter what my weight is. My weight will be between 129-132.

I love the idea of a weekly check-in.

Hope everyone has a good and healthy week.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

In notepad first .... We get no trick or treaters here in the sticks so that was no problem. But we did go to friends for dinner on Saturday. Bad news 2800 calories worth of bad news. Mmmm garlic bread!

I did a first of the month reassessment this morning. I averaged 1983 calories per day in October and fluttered between 120 and 124 lbs. Not bad. I didn't calculate exercise calories but I must be close. I didn't necessarily take one day off exercising each week. I kinda like it so I did something everyday but two.

A weekly thread is a wonderful idea!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:12 AM   #6  

I think this is a great idea! Accountability works wonders in my book.

You all did so much better with the candy than I did. I got back on vacation on a Tuesday - overtired and overwhelmed - and still seeking out comfort food. I also got into that "I'll start on Monday" mindset. This did not fare well for my Halloween weekend. But, today's the day! I used Fitday to plan my meals for today and I'm READY!

Meg, I SOOO agree with you on the chocolate/peanut butter thing. There is no better combination on this planet. I asked my hubby to get Almond Joy to hand out to trick-or-treaters (I hate coconut!), but he got PB cups. Arrrrg! I don't think he "got" the importance of my request.

Have a great, fit day! Karyn Lee
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:55 AM   #7  
Meg

Oh my goodness! This is so exciting! Our Maintainers Forum is featured on the home page of 3FC for the month of November!
Old 11-01-2004, 12:36 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks for pointing that out Meg I never go to the home page... While I was there I browsed some recipes too....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:23 PM   #9  

Halloween - I ate 6 small packages of peanuts in chocolate. I thought that I will eat them anyways, and ate tham once and forever, so that I am not salivating for the whole week. That is after treak or treating with 3 kids - I guess it is fine.

My goal for next 2 month? I would like to be less then 130 pounds. I am around 133 or so now and I am slowly moving down this last week (finally!). I think I was 130 last Christmas, so it is possible.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:43 PM   #10  
Running Babe

Halloween: I think I did the best for my circumstances. I ate three mini-boxes of smarties yesterday and one mini O'Henry on Saturday. I ate a bit over my limit yesterday, but nothing devestating... I actually finished my day eating an apple so it wasn't so bad.

My New Year's goal? Get my BMI below 25, I am pretty close to that right now. I guess I'd like to lose between 4 and 7lbs. Or better yet not gain over Christmas I am about 7-10lbs above my goal weight so I am not that far. Slow and steady!

I also want to run a good 10K to start off my New Year!

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I'm lucky in a way! We don't celebrate Halloween here so no worrying about lollies and chocolates. I did however have a bit of a big night on Friday. I went to an outdoor concert with some friends and when i got over to their place they insisted on proudly showing me their kitchen efforts.

*drum roll please*

Jelly-shots!

lol, what else can one expect from Uni students? At least they're upholding the tradition of poor students with no culinary skills :P I have to say they were nice though.

My new years goal, hmmm...i havent really thought about it. It's not weight related anyway, i am more than happy in that department. I guess my goal would be to trackdown a few more generations in my family tree and to discover if my dad has any aunts and uncles.

My goal for the end of my summer holidays (yes, i'm aussie...southern hemisphere) is to be able to run up this huge hill at home. When i first started my health kick i could not even walk half way up and by the last time i went home i could run 3/4 the way. Now this is no small little bump in the road, this is a killer hill. We've had issues for a long time and it so knows it's days of beating me are thoroughly numbered! I SHALL be kin..er...queen of the mountain

Livi
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:11 PM   #12  
Mel

Go Lyria GO! I'm sure you'll conquer that hill and be

Sounds like everyone did pretty well with Halloween. I had 1 small bag of my worst trigger food that I'd pleaded with dh NOT to buy, but they are his favorites, too. I consider it a success.

My goal for the rest of the year is to get healed up. 3 surgeries in 6 months have not been fun, even if the first was elective. Today was my first day up and about, and I'm beat. Still have to go back to the gym for 1 more client, then I can collapse.

I can't lift for another week and a half, and am only allowed to do slow treadmill walking So my goal for the next two week is to maintain, then I'd like to take off about 3-5 more pounds by the end of the year. That would put me just under where I was last year. Actually, I have no idea what I weigh right now and I'm so swollen from the surgery that only gym clothes fit. I guess I need to wait and figure out where I am before I set any goals.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:12 PM   #13  

I too really like a weekly check-in. I also love the completeness of starting on the first of the month. Nov. 1 -- still so many wonderful possibilities to explore before the end of the year.

Halloween went well for me. No t/t'ers in my neighborhood, but there was oddles of stuff in every store for weeks. For some reason all those colored bags filled with chocolate did not beckon to me, though I do love chocolate. Thank goodness no one put any in my hot little hand.

My gentle weight goal for new years day is to be below 200. I made it there in 02, but rebounded upwards. Dang! To get to 199, that would be 6.5 pounds lost from here. It would be wonderful to make it thru the holidays with a loss since I choose to participate with moderation in the holiday faire, including my 60th bd which is between Christmas and New Years day. (Where did all those years go?) Anyway, that would be almost a pound/week, a lot for me, so there are no promises.

I would also like to slowly up my exercise levels, and make them more consistent. I play active tennis 3-4 times/week, and on off days, will garden and sometimes do the treadmill or stationary bike here at home. I would like to do something every day, or perhaps 6 days/week.

This week I have begun to weigh and measure higher caloric density foods again. It was amazing to me just how much peanut butter 2 measured tablespoons were. I tend to underestimate the weight of starchy items.

One of the things I would like to eventually do is write eaten food down as mentioned above, but I just cant do it yet.

Jan
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:33 PM   #14  

I can't wait until my husband finishes the candy. He had to get tons of extra candy for him to eat. I love the idea of handing out almond joys since I don't like them. This year Halloween was a challenge for me...probably the most difficult holiday for me thus far. Thanksgiving and Christmas aren't that much of a challenge because my mom and sister are both very health/weight conscious so we prepare a lot of healthy foods. Last year when I was loosing weight at a fairly steady rate my resolve to stay strong and not indulge was a lot stronger. This year I wanted to give myself permission to eat and treat myself because I am at my WW goal.

The other challenge I faced this weekend was all the Saturday night Halloween partying I did. Although I rarely drink, I decided to let loose and party. I drank excessively and danced the night away. I planned for it...I went for an extra long run in the morning. Filled up on veggie soup and other healthy foods during the day. Then I went out and had a great time...but for some reason I felt and still feel guilty. There is part of me that is begging me to relax a little every now and then and treat myself. The other part of me just wants to loose another 7-11 pounds. In reality I can probably do both. I don't need to be in a hurry to loose...I look and feel better then I ever have before. I've always allowed for treats along the way but now that I'm at goal I feel so terrified of gaining the weight back that I'm going into food **** mode.

My goal from now to the new year is to journal and track my points on my points bracelet every day. I've been slacking a little bit with tracking lately and I need to get back into the habit. I would really like to see 129 by new year. I won't be devastated if it doesn't happen, but it feels nice to have a goal to strive for. I've also devised a running schedule from now until then to keep me motivated.
Deelighted4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:18 AM   #15  
Meg

Good morning! I love the idea of a weekly thread too, so let’s keep it going. It’s a great place to bring up any daily challenges or issues that crop up or just to chat about maintenance.

One of the best things about our group is finding out that other people are feeling and experiencing the same kinds of things that we do about weight loss/maintenance. I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t know anyone in Real Life who’s lost a lot of weight, reached goal, and STAYED there. I know people who are losing and people who have lost and regained, but no one who’s maintaining. So if I didn’t have this group, I would be LOST!

Elana – congratulations on throwing away the candy! If I’m going to eat something like chocolate, I want it to be the BEST chocolate out there because I hate to waste my calories on something not worthy. Boy, you and the Pookster are right about the weighing and measuring food and writing it down! I still have to do it, at least with most foods (I’m a pretty good judge of chicken breast now and don’t have any urge to overdo it, so that’s one thing I can eyeball). Pookie, I have a tendency to get into trouble with those BLTs (bites, licks, tastes) too. You know, the old broken piece of a cookie with no calories.

Susan - that’s a wise way to track maintenance – looking at your calories for the month and then seeing what your weight did in response. I think your one month snapshot gives a better picture than one week, since (at least my) weight can fluctuate a lot week by week.

Karyn Lee – if my DH brought PB cups in the house, you’d be reading about me on the news! (I would have to kill him ) I hope they’re gone now.

Heaven – good luck on the move on Friday! We hope you’re not off-line for too long.

Jan (is your name really Jane?) – I got a kick out of this:
Quote:
I too really like a weekly check-in. I also love the completeness of starting on the first of the month. Nov. 1 -- still so many wonderful possibilities to explore before the end of the year.
See, I started my LAST diet on June 1, 2001 and I remember saying “June 1 – what a great day to start something new” (I don't think I'll ever forget that date ).

I really like all the fitness and non-food related goals. Over and over again I’m struck by how important exercise is in the maintainers’ lives now. So many of us started off as non-exercisers, forced ourselves to start because we knew we should, and now love it and can’t imagine living without it. It’s my entirely unscientific opinion that it’s impossible to lose a large amount of weight and keep if off without regular, sustained exercise.

So – it’s off to the gym! Have a great day, ladies!