Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #421  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

You let Gracie got at the right time Shannon. She was tired and ready but not suffering yet. It was peaceful rather than painful and she had her people with her at the end. We should all have such a good death.

Grieve for her for as long as you need to do so. She was part of your life for a long time.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #422  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone! Sorry I wasn't around last week, it was kind of a crazy week at work plus my mom was here, plus DH's elderly grandmother passed away and we had family things and a funeral to attend.

Shannon, I'm so sorry about your cat.

I'm ready for the end of family obligations. We have had so much time with family this summer it's kind of driving me nuts. Up this week: rosh hashanah Wednesday night, then my sister-in-law's wedding this weekend, then that ought to be THE END of family obligations until Thanksgiving, I hope. I just want to get back to my routine! Plus my phone totally died on Saturday and I feel lost without it. How will I do my workout without my weight lifting app? How will I log my food without my food logging app? The new one I hope will arrive tomorrow, but still.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #423  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Monday morning, at 161.1.

I had a good few hours working on Sunday because I had a breakthrough on a presentation for a project that my manager had critiqued and picked apart. Her delivery wasn't tactful, because she's direct, but her suggestions were good: I could tell immediately that she was right. I kept thinking about it and yesterday I made some headway.

But the cost of that breakthrough is that I was looking around me while driving in, thinking how inaccessible the larger world beyond the screen sometimes looks.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #424  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Shannon, my deepest sympathy for the loss of your sweet little moggie.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #425  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Shannon, I'm sorry for your loss of Gracie. You did right by your little good friend. I wish you some happy days ahead.

I am back from a 7-day backpacking adventure in the Sierra backcountry of Sequoia National Park. We were permitted for 8 days but decided to come out a day early due to dropping temps and a chance of snow. Other than my knees now telling me I really abused them, everything went splendidly. I survived a wild day and night of thunderstorms in Nine Lakes Basin - strong gusty wind, lightning and thunder, rain and hail. The weather gave us a graceful 20 minutes to set up our tents when we found a place to camp by the second lake. I had just crammed all my gear inside when another storm band came through. The wind bent the tent sideways although the stakes fortunately held. But hail was stinging me through the tent sides! I never got any dinner that night because I didn't want to venture out for water. But at least I was warm and dry inside the tent. The rest of our weather was much better, even when frost coated everything the last morning. We visited the Big Five Lakes and the Little Five Lakes, which were all incredibly beautiful.

I couldn't believe how incredibly tired I felt all day Saturday, my first full day home. Just couldn't do much of anything. I'm feeling more normal today and did a little workout this morning. I know I lost a few pounds and I look thinner but water does strange things - I was 122.5 Saturday morning and 126.5 Sunday morning. despite being very careful with my food!!

Wishes for everyone to have a good week and fight off the urge to overeat.

Last edited by HowlinAtTheMoon; 09-18-2017 at 02:06 PM.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:29 AM   #426  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Morning! I am here but it's busy. I'm getting the routines in place again and that feels good. to all.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:12 AM   #427  
Girl Gone Strong

Tuesday morning, at 161.4.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:17 AM   #428  

DH started what might be the first (and probably last - he's 55 years old) really good job of his working life. I hope it goes well.

I was "fired" by one client yesterday, by email. I've been walking the dog since she was a tiny pup - 6 years now - and it's now more convenient for them to send her to daycare. This is a dog who is obese, has a bad knee, and doesn't like other dogs. SIGH.

Dagmar
Old 09-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #429  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

The weather here is cooling off. I'm sitting on my patio and drinking a diet coke. Wait. What? I gave up soda years ago! Ok, yes I did, but lately coffee hasn't tasted too good so I had this on hand for my SIL and have had one each morning for a few days.

My house is still a disaster. Work progresses but at what seems a snail's pace. We're now displaced from our bedroom (sleeping on our son's fold out couch). I hope that room is completed by Friday. I hope the whole house is done by Friday. We're going out of town that afternoon and won't be back until Saturday night and I'm hoping the guys are done and not looking to doing a day of OT on Saturday.

Forgot to add: I'm giving in and taking the dogs to have their nails trimmed. Nothing seems to work with Bogey. He's learned the fine art of head butting and DH got a fat lip on our last attempt (and that was after a dose of Rescue Remedy and application of the Thundershirt). We use a grooming muzzle on him because he has snapped at me and I don't want to have him bite me. It's so frustrating because my last dog literally would fall asleep, on his back, while I dremelled his nails.

Last edited by alinnell; 09-19-2017 at 10:30 AM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #430  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Alice-- that sounds like quite the adventure!

I *think* I shared my news, but now my brain is not letting me remember. As Allison had guessed, one of my dd's got engaged-- my older one that lives in Houston. We couldn't be happier. We flew there for the weekend (and flew her sister in from Arizona)-- to tell my in-laws and meet his family.

Now they're looking at dates and venues and the planning begins. I'm trying to temper any jealous thoughts I'm already having-- thinking about how his mom is there to help plan, while I'm not and she'll be there to babysit grandkids and I won't be-- she doesn't work and while she seemed nice, she also seemed like she'll be very involved.

My weight was up after the trip, but down a good chunk of that today. I'm hoping it will be back down in a day or two to where I was before I went.

We are getting the gutters done on our house today. Dh is working from home-- I'm sure the dogs will lose their mind....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:18 AM   #431  
Girl Gone Strong

Wednesday morning at 162.

On my work from home day, headed into the bathroom after a series of back-to-back meetings and discovered the sink was full of black, sediment-filled water. The pipes had backed up. Then it was a call to the superintendent, and then me running upstairs, banging on neighbors' doors in the line of apartments directly above me, asking each neighbor not to run their bathroom sink, since all of the water would back up in my apartment. The superintendent used a shop-vac to get the water out and then snaked the line. It seems to be okay but I'm working from home again today to keep an eye on it. My next-door neighbor, who's on a different line, had a similar problem with three overflows in seven weeks. Our plumbing dates back to the 1920s and there is rust and scaling inside the old pipes.

Last edited by saef; 09-21-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #432  

I'm so enjoying all the reading I'm doing at the pet sit. Finished a second book last night, though not all in one go like I did Saturday. Am starting a third tonite and will continue with that once I'm back home Thurs. night.

Bonus! When I'm reading I have no desire to eat so this is also a good step forward with taking off the 4 lbs. that have accumulated over the last couple of months. :

I love DH and the cat but they DO make reading for any extended amount of time difficult.

Dagmar
Old 09-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #433  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Glad you caught that in time, Saef! That could have been quite bad.

Dagmar-- I tend to read on vacation and not as much at home. I started a series on my Houston trip and finished the first one. I liked it so I downloaded the second and am hoping I can find the time to keep going.

Weight is down a bit so I need to keep on chugging....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #434  
Workin' It

I typed up a post yesterday, but for some reason it wouldn't submit. Bah.

Thanks for all the kind words about my Gracie. I'm mostly okay now, except for the times when I expect to see her or look for her out of habit - walking into the living room, at snack time... When I shook my vitamin bottle this morning in the kitchen I automatically watched for her to wander in thinking I was shaking snacks. I'm a little better every day, but it is going to take some time.

to everyone
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #435  
Girl Gone Strong

Thursday morning at 161.6.

A fast drive from NY to CT today because of Rosh Hashanah and fewer cars out on the road. The last remnants of a hurricane blowing around the leaves and adding warmth & humidity, so it doesn't really feel like September. I keep alternating between a hope that something good will happen, that a change is about to occur, and then frustration at feeling stalled out, and I recall that movie whose title came from a character asking, "Is this as good as it gets?"