Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-06-2016, 06:20 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat June 6 - June 12

I know that it's boring for me to talk car, but that's what filled my brain last week. I did buy a used, Ocean Blue, 2012 Nissan Leaf that makes me very happy. I get to geek up on all the issues of charging the traction battery of an all-electric vehicle. There is a six inch stack of manuals to spend my time trying to consume.

Dagmar, it handles like a sporty small car. The batteries are heavy and mounted low on the frame. It's acceleration from zero can beat a sports car for the first 100 feet or so - much to the chagrin of many a Porsche owner who thinks the electric vehicle next to his expensive car is a wimp.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

You're a boy racer at heart, Bill!

The muggy weather here has just broken with torrential rain. I wonder how Allison is getting on, cruising around the British Isles. The weather's been fabulous in the west.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Bill Thanks for the car info. Enjoy your new Leaf!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I was hoping you'd update us, Bill! Enjoy!

Promises to be another slightly "weird" week. Last week with kiddos at school-- more work than I know what to do with...

Dh comes home from overseas tomorrow but leaves the next day for Houston to be "handyman" at dd's new house. Then he returns, and I go to help with the physical move... Younger dd is coming next week to our house for just a few weeks, but she will be at camp (as a counselor) for one of those weeks and I'll be in Houston, so won't see her much...

I joined a blog challenge for the summer and June's challenge is to tackle the "frog", which is the one big project you always mean to tackle but you never do.... I'm attacking my office/craft room, that is practically floor to ceiling books, plus tons of crafts I haven't done in years. I spent much of the weekend finding and painting bins, so now I'm covered in paint. Not sure I'll tackle the whole room in June, seeing as how I'll be away for a week, but anything I do is more than I've done in years! Also going to buy a chair that can't get covered in cat hair! No one will sit in my chair (except the cats) so what's the point of having a chair?!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #5  
Workin' It

Enjoy the new car, Bill! I'm fascinated by an electric car.

Michele - we have a room like that. It gets cleaned out every few years and then piles back up. I should tackle my frog this summer.

Birchie - we haven't had a lot of rain so far this summer, just spot showers here and there.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #6  
in development

Shannon, haven't you? Sometimes I see maps of the US with lightning flashes over Atlanta but those storms can pass quickly I know. Now the rain's started, it's rolling in and out from the mountains. And tropical heat. My French climbing beans, Cobra, just shoved in quickly last week have germinated since the morning. I have great hopes for the garden this year.

Last edited by silverbirch; 06-06-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Right now in central Fla. we are getting dumped on from Tropical Storm Colin. Looks like it's going to bypass Atlanta--way to luck out, Shannon.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #8  
Workin' It

I need a little rain for my garden, the spot showers aren't enough. I am okay missing the tons of rain from Colin, though. On the upside, I think I have been winning my blight battle with the lower amount of rain compared to last year.

Birchie - I have a bush zucchini that is taking over everything in the garden right now.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #9  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Well if we're talking weather, I'll throw in a stray comment to say I'm deeply (make it profoundly) grateful that we have had a super-light mosquito season so far this year, probably from a cold snap in early May, just as the larvae were hatching. And, not too much rain since then, just enough to keep the flowers happy. So, while global warming-induced climate change is (not so) slowly ruining the planet, my little neck of the woods is really benefitting in the short run.

Last week of school next week for the younger 2 kiddos (not that they're doing much actual school- both have a field trip one day, a class party another, and Friday lets out at noon). My oldest DS graduated from HS yesterday. Can't believe it; either that he is that old already or that we managed to not kill him - either inadvertently OR on purpose - over the last 17 years. Next stop, college.

My next plan is the huge packing process for a month long trip to China. We (all 5 of us) leave next Tuesday the 14th, and I'm starting to get quite anxious. We're moving around a lot during the month, including a 5-day stay in Tibet where it's fairly cool even in July, so the packing is a real challenge. Ideally, each person has a single-size duffel or soft-sided roller suitcase plus a backpack, but this may not be enough to hold all the gifts for our host families and warmer clothes we will need for Tibet. Advice appreciated.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:22 AM   #10  
in development

The trip sounds exciting, Andrea. Re packing: I've known people buy things like padded jackets en route once they've got rid of some stuff. And give away things they no longer need en route.

I've been meaning to check this with you. Do North Americans eat blackcurrants? Have been told that you don't, even though they are chock-full of Vitamin C (better than blueberries) and probably other great things. I don't hear anyone from NAm mention them.

Last edited by silverbirch; 06-07-2016 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
I've been meaning to check this with you. Do North Americans eat blackcurrants? Have been told that you don't, even though they are chock-full of Vitamin C (better than blueberries) and probably other great things. I don't hear anyone from NAm mention them.
I've never seen black currants in Canada - only red and white. We have blackberries https://www.google.ca/search?q=black...5LbnsSP47EM%3A

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:37 AM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Evidently blackcurrants used to be cultivated in the U.S., but were banned because of their association with a timber disease. The ban is now up to individual states, and New York State is one of those that dropped the ban. So, interest in blackcurrants may be increasing.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

No great packing advice, Andrea.... Just that I hope you have an amazing trip! And congrats to your graduate-- and you too!
Where's he headed to college?

Dh homes home today for one night only and I've got a horrific sore throat. Ugh.... hoped yesterday when I felt it coming on that it was allergies, but doubtful now.

Never had blackcurrants-- thanks for the background JayEll. Are they like blackberries?

Weather is so curious. We've had such a drought in California, then El Nino, and now nothing. My dd in Texas keeps getting deluged over and over again with flooding storms.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #14  
Workin' It

I used to be able to get frozen blackcurrants at a local store and would put them in smoothies. I hadn't thought about it, but haven't seen them in years. Makes sense if they are banned.

Andrea - have a great trip! I also have no packing advice at all. Maybe things that are light and can be layered?
Old 06-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #15  
in development

Have you received a junk email from 3FC? Details must have been hacked.

(More about blackcurrants, one of my top favourite fruits, later.)