Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #91  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Okay, I was dumb after the operation and I did not recline with leg held higher than my heart and ice on it. I sat at my desk with legs hanging. Working, of course. So no wonder I'm having a slow recovery.

I'm sure that once the pain goes away, I'll be glad I did this, but right now it feels like a bad decision, because the impairment and tenderness around the screw head that I experienced pre-op is nowhere near as bad as the gnawing post-op pain and the inability to walk without a cane. Also I am fuzzy-headed from the drugs, which are Oxycodone, not Percocet. (Percocet is what they gave me in the recovery room, but the script for afterward is for some mixture of Oxycodone with acetaminophen.) First they wash over me with a warm glow but then I quickly become irritable and anxious and jumpy.

Saturday morning, sleeping past 6 AM for the first time in, what? Maybe a year?

Weigh-in: 142.4, up another fraction. Easy to understand why. No exercise. Feeling bloated with fluid. Hard to keep from eating for comfort.

Breakfast: Cacao nib protein shake muffin, egg bake with spinach, broccoli, tomatoes and mushrooms; yogurt and blueberries with cinnamon
Snack: Large peach and plenty of tasting from mango puree that I made, for muffins
Lunch: Spring mix, with the spinach already getting a bit too soft, asparagus, walnuts, sun-dried tomatoes, goat cheese and half of the smooth-skinned avocado that I don't like as much as the pebbly-skinned Hass avocados.
Snack: Bare Fruit Fuji apple chips, 180-calorie bag
Dinner: Turkey meatloaf, steamed broccoli, collard greens
Dessert: White chocolate raspberry Quest bar

I definitely underestimated the after-effects of this surgery. Today I spent a good two hours on my feet in the kitchen, making a cucumber and tomato salad, a batch of muffins, roasting cauliflower and putting collard greens into the crockpot to simmer. But then for the rest of the day I sat with my leg up, reading. My mother was bored in front of the TV, and I should be entertaining her in some way, but I'm not sure how, as I'm just not up to walking around yet. I did want to go to the movies but I'm putting it off for another day.

Last edited by saef; 08-01-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #92  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hi saef. Yes, dumb not to follow doctor recommendations. But we all want things to be "normal."

Maybe it would be less uncomfortable to use the walker for awhile? A cane is awfully one sided.

Percocet and oxycodone with acetominophen are the same thing. Take it as directed for pain. Irritability, anxiety, etc. might be side effects, or it could just be how you are reacting to what seems like a setback, maybe...

The screws had to come out, I think--so it wasn't a bad decision. It's just that yes, it was surgery, and yes, you have to recover again.

Please take it easy on yourself and stop trying to work--as though you are some kind of Army Ranger...
Old 08-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #93  
Girl Gone Strong

There's some improvement in my condition from Friday morning. Some of the stiffness seems to be receding, and the stiffness seems to be brought on by post-op swelling. When I got out of bed this morning, I was almost walking normally. It felt like there was something in my leg, restricting the movement somewhat, but that's what passes for normal now in my life. But about an hour later, after walking around more, the pain has returned.

Jay, you're right, I just wanted to be "normal."

I wish I understood better about what "healing" means when stainless steel gets taken out from inside your body.

Weigh-in: 143.4. This Sunday morning weigh-in is discouraging to record. I was just under 139 pounds on Thursday morning.

Breakfast: Cacao nib protein shake muffin, egg bake with spinach, broccoli, tomatoes and mushrooms; yogurt and blueberries with cinnamon
Snack: Cherries
Lunch: Radish greens, roasted vegetables, almonds, goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and goji berries
Dinner: Roast chicken, enormous sweet potato, steamed cauliflower and green beans
Dessert: Cookies n' cream Quest bar

Last edited by saef; 08-03-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #94  
Girl Gone Strong

Monday morning was the best yet for getting out of bed and walking, although after moving around the kitchen, getting breakfast, I soon discovered that I needed a Percocet. It only hurts when I move. Also, I feel disoriented by not having to wake up at 4 AM or go to the gym.

Weigh in: 143.3, consistent, double-checked after resetting the scale twice.

Snack: Cherries
Lunch: Radish greens and arugula, roasted vegetables, almonds, goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts and Craisins
Snack: 180-calorie bag of Bare Fruit Fuji apple chips
Dinner: Salmon steak with sesame seeds, steamed broccoli, collard greens
Dessert: Strawberry cheesecake Quest bar

I worked until 8 PM because it's the first day of August and we have to do a lot of reporting on activities and metrics on that day. Also, I am charged with completing 10 midyear reviews before I go off on PTO next Wednesday.

Time off, starting Wednesday ... it's hard to believe.

Last edited by saef; 08-04-2015 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:19 AM   #95  
Girl Gone Strong

At 4:30 AM, the sound of a thunderstorm moving through, releasing the humidity, and my leg okay from my having slept with it higher than my heart. But after moving around, it's as tight as ever. I have the luxury of reading the paper and drinking coffee before getting back online.

Weigh in: 143.7, up a half pound. This left me irrationally unhappy, as I thought of not having moved very much, let alone exercised, since Wednesday.

Snack: 180-calorie bag of Bare Fruit cinnamon apple chips
Lunch: Arugula salad, roasted vegetables, pecans, goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, half an avocado, goji berries
Snack: Moderate sized peach, and later, Bing cherries
Dinner: Chicken breast, steamed cauliflower, steamed green beans, cucumber & tomato salad

Last edited by saef; 08-04-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #96  
Girl Gone Strong

I was supposed to be in the office today, as I work there on Wednesdays, but I knew when I went to bed last night that I wouldn't make it. My leg still feels tight and swollen. Yes, it's improved. I can walk around, after all, even though there's great discomfort.

Weigh-in: 142.5, down, missing the gym dreadfully. It's been a week since I've gone.

Breakfast: Mango coconut muffin, egg bake with spinach, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes and scallions; yogurt with Jell-O pistachio sugarfree pudding mix and blackberries
Snack: Bing cherries
Lunch: Spring mix, chicken breast, half an avocado, almonds and Craisins
Snack: Two persimmons
Dinner: Steak, roasted cauliflower, skinny steamed asparagus, a bit too woody

Going to bed with a swollen leg, but less of the jumpy internal nerve pain because I took an Oxycodone. I keep trying to go to plain old ibuprofen but it's not working. At least I'm down to just two pills a day.

Last edited by saef; 08-05-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:26 AM   #97  
Girl Gone Strong

I woke to find our U.K.-based HR tells me there's no signs of management filling the head count that I've been "temporarily" been filling in since May. I wrote the email at nearly 10 PM while writing up another midyear review. I've got three to do today, none of them completed yet.

Weigh in: No surprise to be right back up to 143.7, but this is the best I've felt yet when waking up and walking around.

Breakfast: Mango coconut muffin, egg bake with spinach, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes and scallions; yogurt and blueberries with cinnamon
Snack: Bare Fruit Granny Smith apple chips, the 180-calorie bag
Lunch: Spring greens salad with steamed asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts, goat cheese, almonds and dried cherries
Snack: Big nectarine
Dinner: Steak, roasted cauliflower, cucumber, tomato & feta cheese salad

Ended this day walking around much better, though still noticeably swollen. I think the drop in humidity and heat also helped.

Last edited by saef; 08-06-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #98  
Girl Gone Strong

It's Friday morning and I felt twinges in the leg very early this morning and while still lying down. It's tight and achy but moving smoothly. Again, I'm resolved to go for a walk and see how I do. If that's possible, I'm going to try some upper body work in the gym tomorrow.

Weigh in: Such is my state that I'm pleased to see 143.4 on the scale.

Breakfast: Mango coconut muffin, egg bake with spinach, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes and scallions; yogurt and blueberries with cinnamon
Snack: Nectarine
Lunch: Spring greens and arugula mix, roasted eggplant and steamed asparagus, almonds and Craisins
Snack: 180-calorie bag of Bare Fruit Granny Smith apple chips
Dinner: Steak, collard greens, steamed green beans
Dessert: Bing cherries and a chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bar, nearly as hard as a rock but still satisfying to chew on

Last edited by saef; 08-07-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like you're making good progress, Saef. Just don't push things too quickly.

Enjoying time with my dd in Houston. Over 100 here so have to find activities where we won't melt. That being said, I did do bikram yesterday. Very hard class which was exacerbated by a horrible crick in my neck. We were going to go to a water park but I couldn't turn my head so we went to the roller rink. So fun! Had to dodge all the little kids! Hopefully we will try the water park today.... Food has been good so far....
Old 08-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #100  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Saef, what is "PTO" (Aug. 3rd post, I'm a few days behind).

Weighed in at 129 even today, despite having no days higher than 1600 cals in the last 10, and exercising hard 5 days a week. Spent the day resisting eating in preparation for dinner tonight, and watched everyone in my family have 3 pieces of bread from the breadbasket (each) followed by pasta, then molten chocolate cake (each DS had a whole portion) at Cucina Bravo Italiana, for my oldest DS' 17th birthday. I ordered salad and spicy scallops marinara without pasta. How much do you want to bet I will still be 129 tomorrow? Can you tell I'm having a "poor me" day?

Michele, is your back all better now? The mention of a crick in your neck made me remember your issues from the past winter.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #101  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
Michele, is your back all better now? The mention of a crick in your neck made me remember your issues from the past winter.
Yes and no... Much better than the acute pain I was experiencing, though I doubt I'll ever be fully better. However, when I had my physical last week, my doc recommended a chiropractor that does physical therapy in conjunction. He says the guy is a miracle worker so I made an appointment to see him after my travels.

Today should be interesting... Going to bikram this morning then brunch wth dd. Later we are going to a staff picnic for my dd's school. It will be outside and over 100%... Then we will go directly to my friends house to change into fancy clothes to go to an autism fundraiser (her son is severely autistic). I'm hoping we won't be too sweaty as there won't be time for another shower! There will be dinner of some sort at the event so hopefully it won't be too far off plan. Then we are spending the night at my friends house. My in laws have been on a cruise and come home today so we will probably see them tomorrow. I leave early Monday to go home to repack and leave on another short trip on Tuesday with younger daughter and dh. It will be interesting to see where my weight settles once I'm home.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #102  
Girl Gone Strong

Oh how I slept and slept and thought what it would be like to lie around all day. Then I reminded myself that I could lie around all afternoon if I wished.

The morning crisis was discovering that my car, parked for a full week without my having driven it with the steering wheel cut sharply to the right, had dangerously loose steering action. Like for it to go straight, I had to keep the wheel turned to about 2 o' clock. So I drove it, gingerly, heart pounding, to auto repair about two miles away, and took the train one stop home.

That's a lot more walking than I'd planned on my very first day of leaving the house.

Andrea, PTO is paid time off. My company doesn't differentiate between sick days and vacation days. It's all lumped under paid time off.

And Alison, yes, I think that's a California thing, because my employer is Connecticut-based and we've had PTO days for the 17 years that I've worked here.

Weigh in: Remarkably, 140.4 on the scale. Somehow I don't trust it.

Breakfast: Mango coconut muffin, egg bake with spinach, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes and scallions; yogurt and Bing cherries
Lunch: Cannellini beans, ham, martinated artichokes and pecans over baby arugula salad
Snack: Two persimmons
Dinner: Quinoa in tomato mussel broth with spinach, broccoli and shrimp
Dessert: Chocolate peanut butter Quest bar

At the gym:

I went back, because I can walk again -- and I did walk, all over the place. All I did was upper body work, and a bit of abs. This was the same workout that I did back in February, after I'd first returned to the gym, except at higher weights, because I've only been laid off for a week.

Tomorrow I'll do some legs in the machines, very carefully, and I'll see if I can pedal on the recumbent bike for about 12 minutes, which is how I first started my physical therapy sessions.

Last edited by saef; 08-08-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Andrea, PTO is paid time off. My company doesn't differentiate between sick days and vacation days. It's all lumped under paid time off.
They may have to change that position in a way. Under the ACA, employers must give at least 3 sick days per year. While we don't say you have to use a sick day for sickness we do have to keep track of those days differently than vacation days. We've always done that so we don't have to do much to change this except now we have to show the sick days on the pay stubs. Unless this is a California thing...I can't remember!
Old 08-09-2015, 07:42 AM   #104  
Girl Gone Strong

Well, that $760 car repair is because someone struck my car while it was parked, though I didn't see any body damage on that side. They had to really hit the wheel-well hard to cause that much damage, the guy at the garage said. This is a 2001, and while it's served me well, once it's fixed, I'm driving it Upstate and I'm going to leave it with my mother to sell. I'll either borrow her car (she's got two, a minivan and a Cougar, like mine) or buy one while I'm up there.

Weigh-in: 142.1, which seems more accurate than yesterday's weigh-in.

Meals for Today:

Breakfast: Mango coconut muffin, egg bake with spinach, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes and scallions; yogurt with sugarfree Pistachio pudding mix and blueberries with cinnamon
Snack: Bing cherries
Lunch: Baby arugula with roasted vegetables, cannellini beans and chunks of ham, almonds and goji berries
Snack: 100 calories worth of Bare Fruit Granny Smith apple chops (two small bags)
Dinner: Miso-glazed salmon, roasted cauliflower, cucumber & tomato salad, steamed green beans

At the gym:

Worked my upper body a little, but spent some time on my legs, too. I did a cobbled-together Strong Curves workout, going very light indeed on legs. Then, since I'm still car-less until Monday, I walked to the grocery store and walked back, lugging fairly heavy bags. What an improvement over this past Sunday, when I had to hobble on a cane to walk from the car into a movie theater and then back out again. I will not overdo it. As yesterday, I will sit on my patio with my leg up, and iced, and read the Sunday NY Times, which can last a couple hours, of course.

Last edited by saef; 08-09-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:10 AM   #105  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

That makes sense, saef. There's not much else that could cause a steering problem like that. So sorry.
Closed Thread