Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #16  

Height: 5'7"

We need some good news on here! Just read through and feel bad for all the problems going on. Saef, I just feel awful for your injuries. So infuriating but I guess anger doesn't help. Allison, I can't believe he was allowed to fly either! Jayell-
Actually for everyone!

School today then off the rest of the week. We have a mass so the classes are only 30 mins and half the students won't be there, so it feels like a wasted day as far as teaching. Dd flies in tomorrow. DS and his GF are flying out to visit her family up north. Small Thanksgiving at my house. Dd and I are running a 5k on Thanksgiving morning.

One day at a time.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

My online shopping world is now officially in chaos. Ebay won't allow me "global shipping" - US to Canada - on an item for which I won the auction. Amazon has declined my payment method. And more and more Americans are refusing to ship to Canada because the governments are making the process so onerous.

I hope to heck I won't have to start going to the mall again. Such a waste of my precious free time! And so stupid. We are basically an extension of the US and should be treated accordingly. Free trade should be free trade.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #18  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I'm with Dagmar on free trade between Canada and the U.S.. I've run into the eBay snafu; seems that Canada easily lets stuff leave, but getting stuff in faces a major customs barrier.

RE: "We need some good news on here!" We freed a blocked rain gutter while it was still warm outside and hoses with running water were possible. It's good news because we've waited too late other years and had the downspout refuse to pass the melting roof snow.

Happy Thanksgiving Preparations for those in the U.S. getting ready.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Dagmar--sometimes if you're purchasing from a 3rd party seller on eBay, it's that seller's preference not to ship internationally.

Have you considered using a freight forwarding service? Check out MyUSA.com, for example. It does cost a little more.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I seriously don't understand the whole free trade thing with Canada, either. We had to order something from an art studio in Canada (a glass stair tread) and we had to supply some sort of clips for it. Sending those clips that cost us around $20 was a total nightmare. All that for a $15,000 piece of glass. I hope to never have to do that again!

Meanwhile I'm on my way to work to do payroll because the assistant won't be in today, either. I'm having to have my MIL take my Dad to the ER because 1) his nosebleed just won't stop (I hope they pack it for him); and 2) because now his catheter is leaking. I, too, wonder why they let him fly.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #21  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Dagmar - you could have one of us in the US pay it and ship it on to you! Let's start a 3FC online shopping "laundering" service to get around these dumb restrictions.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #22  
Workin' It

Allison - just read back. Glad DH is getting on board with the situation with your assistant. That has gotten totally out of hand. And how is your dad?

Dagmar - I've shipped things to folks in Canada for them to avoid some of the crazy. It makes no sense.

Saef - thinking about you.

Jay - love your July 4th Thanksgiving idea. Pie goes with everything, and cookout is easier than turkey.

I don't know that I have any good news, so I'll choose to not ramble about negative right now instead. I do that way too much.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #23  

Shannon~My FIL took him to the ER. They replaced the leaking catheter bag, pulled some huge blood clots from his nose and throat, put some medicine in his nostril to control the bleeding but it didn't work so they ended up packing it (which frankly should have been done at the last ER visit). We are to take out the packing Thursday. If it is still bleeding we'll go back to have it packed again. My SIL is making him an appointment with an ENT for when he returns home. He's home resting now (he didn't sleep well or perhaps at all so the ER doc told him to go back to bed).
Old 11-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

My "inner mule" has kicked in. I have been on the phone at length with Paypal and Ebay and have emailed 4 different people re the item I can't buy. Now Ebay says they will submit a paper form to the third party in Kentucky who is now handling their "global shipping" and everything should be hunky dory in 72 business hours. Since Ebay is 24 hours I'm not sure what that means.

How much do I want that red leather ice bucket? it's a great item and I'm now really dug in about how stupid getting it has been so far. Three separate entities, plus buyer and seller, and I still can't pay for my ice bucket. Apparently no one online can talk to anyone else. ARRRGH!

And part of me realizes I should just bail - shopping is NOT my life. But I can't.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Saef, your accident sounds awful! In addition, how aggravating that you were on your way to exercise to try to improve your health (and that was the second time it happened to you!). Just wow. I'm so glad you are at least still with us. I agree with others that getting your neck looked at in the context of the accident is a good idea. In the mean time, is there any way you can take a quick shower so you can wash your hair standing? If not, maybe you can try one of those dry shampoos. Hope you mend well soon!

I didn't realize there were such annoyances in getting things shipped to Canada. I'm sorry you folks have to put up with that. I was thinking that someone sould offer a forwarding service, and JayEll has figured that out (but of course it adds money and time).

Allison, a $15K piece of glass? Wowza! Hope your father is doing better.

The holiday season is hitting me like a brick wall. I've ben distracted by other things and suddenly realized I need to pick out cards, write a letter, do the shopping and baking and all the other things that are normal but I haven't been thinking about.

Last edited by yoyoma; 11-26-2014 at 07:19 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #26  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Thanks for all of the well wishes.

Bargoo, I am thinking of you often -- how do you stay connected with this forum when suddenly all of your energies are focused on something else other than weight? I mean, I do think about my weight, but rather distantly, as something I'll do my best on, but it's less emotional. My goal is walking again one day, rather than being lean.

I have such high hopes for my doctor appointment today, It's bound to be a letdown afterward. This doctor is good but very factual, a numbers and probabilities guy, not empathic. I feel like I know him from previous interactions with similar personalities on my job. The good thing is, he will not lie to me, or sugar-coat anything, so that any time line or goals that I set for myself based on what he says today will be fact-based.

Anyway I will be glad to get out of the house in the ambulette and wheelchair. I have felt like I'm under a form of house arrest. I just finished the last Stig Larsson novel last night. For nearly the whole novel, Lisbeth Salander is confined to her bed recovering from a gunshot wound to the head. I didn't realize till I closed the book why I felt so impelled to keep reading it, even though Larsson in translation has the flattest voice I've ever read, almost like a hearing transcript.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #27  

Kind of a day of reckoning today. My assistant called yesterday and I swear with all her complaints that she was about to ask for another day off, but I told her that under no circumstances could she miss today. This month, I believe she has only worked 5 days. Maybe 6. Her in basket is full and will take at least two days to complete if I were to do it. She'll probably take longer.

My Dad pulled the nasal packing out yesterday afternoon despite being told numerous times by the ER doc that it was to stay in until tomorrow afternoon. Thankfully the short time it was in there has helped. He didn't have to use numerous tissues during dinner (only one or two) and after dinner I fashioned a "mustache" bandage to catch any drips and still allow him to breathe through his nose (which the nose clamp prevented). He didn't have any dripping in that direction but I could tell there was post nasal bleeding (which is probably why he keeps getting an upset stomach). He seems to have slept better last night (still asleep). The previous night he didn't sleep at all.

saef~good luck at the doctor. I think I'd prefer a doctor who didn't sugar coat anything so you get a clearer picture of just how things will progress. I'm sure making some goals and working toward them will help in your recovery.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

I've been MIA for a bit so clicked back to last week to catch up. Jessica, your girls are so big! And so cute! I'm going to be an aunt in a few weeks and that just made me excited all over again

Saef, I hope you are feeling better soon.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the US chicks!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #29  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

I hope you are all having a day of rest and appreciation tomorrow.

saef, I hope you have good information from the doc and can find out more about your neck. Yes, there are many things more compelling than one's weight to be concerned about.

Allison, the nose bleeds aren't likely to stop while your dad is taking blood thinners. The husband of a friend of mine was going to the ER every other day because of nose bleeds, and his primary care doc and cardiac doc were at war. The primary care guy said he had to stop taking the blood thinners, and the cardiac guy said he must not stop. So the man was slowly bleeding out. Finally the two docs compromised and they took him off blood thinners for four days. I didn't hear any further upshot, though.

Dagmar, I don't know what to say. I hope you get some satisfaction, but at this point I doubt the item will ever seem worth the battle you've gone through.

We've got the chili made in advance for the Fourth of July Thanksgiving, and now it's a matter of cleaning up for company.

May you all enjoy your food without guilt.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Thanks for all of the well wishes.

Bargoo, I am thinking of you often -- how do you stay connected with this forum when suddenly all of your energies are fconfined t.
saef, when you are housebound you try to keep your mind occupied. Daytime TV BLAH, I gave up doctor AND judge shows a long time ago. I find ichecking on my 3fc friends much more interesting and not at all boring.
saef, what did you find out at the dactor ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote