Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat November 24 - November 30

So it got cold - as predicted. Then yesterday, I went walking wearing a coat and returned dripping wet from the heat. I seem to be new to this notion of changing temperature, LOL.

Had a stellar day yesterday not taking snacks that were visible. When I repurpose planet Earth, I intend to make snack food invisible to help folks like me who feel hunger whenever they see snack food. Only green vegetable will emit light visible to human eyes. Just you wait.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Bill, that's pretty brilliant. I would live on that world.

It warmed up some here but is supposed to get cold again tonight. Oh well. Ingredients purchased for Thanksgiving. I'm hoping this year MIL will give us some leftover turkey (we didn't get any last year), otherwise I'll have to go buy a separate turkey breast and cook it just for us because I have some great recipes for leftover turkey.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Our second day of golf was disrupted by wind yesterday. So we came home and tackled a lot of chores. I made a huge pot of bean soup and worked in my vegetable garden. I seem to be having success with my peppers but only have one tomato so far. And the squash are full of blossoms but no fruits yet.

My Dad arrives today for 8 days. We got the new shades up in all the rooms, so that much is done. The rest of the decorating in DS's room (where I'm putting my Dad) is nil. It kind of looks sad but I just don't have time to go look for furniture. Dad's brother, whom we were going to go visit Saturday, fell and is in the hospital so now we're trying to coordinate a time to go for a hospital visit rather than a dinner with the whole family. This will most likely be the last time the two see each other what with their ages and illnesses.

I got an email this morning that my assistant, who was off all last week to move to her new apartment, is taking this week off as well because nothing went right with her move. She said her phone died (and really, seemed to be blaming ME for that but I suspect she lost her charger). She said the movers stole "a lot" of her things and the new apartment has a lot of problems. I'm beyond mad about her not being at work this week. The past six months have turned her in to an unreliable helper at best.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Sounds like it's time for "the talk," alinnell--the one in which you tell her that from now on, she is expected to be at work unless she has vacation time or is sick with a doctor's verification. She is starting to act like her job is an optional activity for when things are going right, and that's not going to work.

I'm still trying to get my new computer set up so I can begin to transfer files from my older computer. I didn't even touch it over the weekend--too irritating.

Also, it's time to clear things out and do some deep cleaning.

On top of it my allergies are incredibly bad right now. I had to get prescription eyedrops from my eye doc.

Feeling sad still about Oscar not being with us anymore.

We are having a couple of friends over for Thanksgiving, and we've decided to have Fourth of July for Thanksgiving. Hot dogs, chili, etc. But we are adding pumpkin pie. Should be fun.

Last edited by JayEll; 11-24-2014 at 09:28 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

This will be an interesting week to say the least. I love your world idea, Bill. Count me in.

I'm off to Napa today with dh and dd and returning tomorrow. Not sure what food rules I'll stick to! Off to bikram first to offset some of the damage.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Not much new here. Double digit temps and high winds. Spring ! Oh yeah we still have winter to get through don't we?

I may have clients returning with a new puppy. They contacted me yesterday and sent pics but I haven't heard back from them after I replied "YES!" and suggested meeting times.

I think I better accept that this is the new "normal" - people reply back at the last minute and do everything minute by minute. SIGH.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #7  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Allison, I agree with Jay, except that I wouldn't even bother having a talk with her at this point. From everything you've said over the past months it really sounds like it's time to get a new assistant!

Jay, 4th of July thanksgiving sounds like fun. Hope your allergies clear up soon.

Dagmar, I hate last-minute things too. Hope you get the new puppy!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Allison, I agree with Jay, except that I wouldn't even bother having a talk with her at this point. From everything you've said over the past months it really sounds like it's time to get a new assistant!
I agree.

My husband actually agrees, too. Up until now I think he's been "on her side" but he could tell how miffed I was this morning and he agrees we need someone more reliable. He and I are going over this now and we'll probably confront her Wednesday (if she shows up).

I think what gets me the most was her comment about her "dead phone." Never once has she mentioned any problem with her phone and then she writes "My cell phone doesn't work because the battery is totally dead. Well, I have had it for more than 5 years. I have had no communication with anyone this week." Like having an old phone is now my problem? Whenever anyone starts having phone issues I always order them a new one. And frankly, forgetting to charge your phone is not MY problem.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

I'm sitting up today, with my supportive collar around my neck. Today I was able to sit for about for hours. I even tried to stand over the kitchen sink to get my hair shampooed -- a mistake because my neck couldn't stand the weight of my head at that angle. This is infuriating. I was great at holding up my head just three weeks ago, in Pilates class, before this accident. I understand exactly how my knee is compromised, but not what's going on with my neck. I need to do some Internet research to start. I don't even know what the doctors who specialize in that stuff are called.

For Thanksgiving, we've got a rotisserie turkey breast from the grocery store and we'll cook side vegetables. I am good at sitting up chopping vegetables and at giving instructions and locating utensils and spices, even if I cannot move around the kitchen in the walker because I need my hands for balance. My mother's busy here and there is no way I'd ask her to whip up a classic Thanksgiving feast.

Jay, I am sorry about Oscar. I have not kept up with the threads and I did not know he had passed away.

Allison, on my job, we put people on a performance plan for 30 days to 90 days in which duties and goals are clearly set out. If they don't meet them, they're out. They can include the kind of attendance that JayEll mentions. In my experience, without this happening beforehand, people seem astonished when they are laid off for poor performance. You have no idea the extent of denial that they can go into about how well they've been doing. Has it been made clear to this woman in writing and in formal conversations just what is going wrong? She must feel awfully secure to be able to take off a week with no notice, which people on performance plans don't tend to do, so don't be surprised if she thinks the state of the union is completely different from what you believe it to be.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Thank you for your condolences, saef. Once I saw your first post after the accident, I knew that you were busy with other things (understatement).

saef, I assume you've been sent for follow-up on your injuries. Be sure to do that, and mention your neck. It sounds like severe whiplash, but only a doc can tell. It's important that you document medically all your conditions since insurance and possible legal action is involved.

Also, Alinnell, I think saef is right about the warnings. Your troublesome employee is probably coasting along thinking things are fine because no one has expressly said otherwise.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #11  

My day is getting worse as it goes on.

My Dad is on a plane right now to come and visit. My SIL called last night because she'd taken him to the ER earlier due to a somewhat chronic "oozy" nosebleed. The doctor didn't do much other than recommend Afrin nose spray twice a day and some nasal clamps to wear for an hour at a time when the bleeding does start. Well, things got worse this morning, he refused to go back to the ER (where they might have inserted a nasal tampon for 24 hours). She told me that I'll probably have to take him to the ER here when he gets off the plane and try and find an ENT doctor for him to see. I can tell you now that there isn't an ENT around that I'd be able to get into see in such short notice on a holiday week. That and his leg (where he has/had a blood clot) was sore this morning but he wouldn't put on a compression sock to help with that. She has a call into his doctor to see if we should change is prescription dosage. He was on coumadin until he got the clot and now he's on a very low dosage of Xeralto but now he has nosebleeds.

And did I mention the brother he is coming down to see is now in the hospital?

I'd like to just go back to bed, please.

saef~a neurologist is probably who you need to see about your neck. I'd call the hospital where you were treated to see if they can recommend someone.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #12  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

We've got a neurologist amongst us, haven't we? I'm thinking of neurodoc. She might call by or you could ask her if you want advice, saef. (Good to hear that you're making progress. Chopping vegetables sounds pretty good to me.)

Allison, very good luck with it all. You have my sympathy and support.

Support and sympathy to the rest of you as you navigate this week. (Dagmar, you and I can sit this one out somewhere quiet - perhaps on a prototype of Bill's new planet?)
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Getting the spaceship ready Birchie. I'm liking the idea of only green healthy snacks being visible.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Oh, Allison. None of that sounds good. When my dads health was failing he had many nosebleeds that wouldn't stop. He was also on blood thinners. I was surprised your dad was able to fly. I'll say a prayer for you all.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

One more and you are THROUGH~~~~~~This for the assistTnt
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote