Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-13-2014, 05:15 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

This is DH's last week of full-time employment at his current job. I wonder if this switch (which he's been talking about for over a year) will make a difference in his now very depressing and negative attitude toward life? On Monday he told me he was "just waiting to die". He's 52. That made me and I told him so.

Natcat is making a difference too - whether DH wants her to or not. Hard to be sad around someone so full of life. She's certainly keeping me going, despite our now looming money shortage.

Dagmar my Nattie!
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #17  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar, that this is the right thing for DH. It has to be difficult to live with somebody who's um, "happiness challenged". I am beginning to appreciate some of the thinking behind the reincarnation-based faiths - that there are lessons to be learned and we're going to keep doing it til we get it right. Generating your own peace and contentment regardless of circumstance sure seems to be a major lesson.

This weekend is the Michigan Homebrewer's Festival. Combined with "car" camping.

After that, the rest of August becomes a full assault on DS's room - changing it over from the little-kid theme to something more appropriate to a 15 year old. He's going from a twin to a queen bed, and getting a nice corner desk with a hutch and lots of room for studying. I've been driving myself with researching mattresses, and resigning myself to paying a small fortune for one that doesn't have a bunch of flame-******ant chemicals built into it. Ah well. We do what we can. (ETA - I am laughing pretty hard at the censoring in the prior sentence. Sheesh!)

Last edited by ICUwishing; 08-14-2014 at 07:49 AM.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

That is a pretty funny censor!!

I need to do the same with my son's room, Becky. The poor kid is sill in a twin and at almost 6 feet tall he just doesn't fit! (Or maybe he is 6 feet now--I'll need to check.) But it'll be easier once he's back in school--not so much of his clutter to work around.

The cats are still in a funk over their new situation. Rescue remedy doesn't seem to be helping much to calm them down. I sure hope they get used to the change and go back to normal. Meanwhile I bought the cutest feeding station for the (another reason why the need to get along). It's a slightly raised wooden board with cutouts to hold five bowls--all separated by about 6 inches. I figure each cat will get a bowl of wet and the other two can be communal dry food. Wet, dry, wet, dry, wet. But it'll only work if they get along.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
That is a pretty funny censor!!

I need to do the same with my son's room, Becky. The poor kid is sill in a twin and at almost 6 feet tall he just doesn't fit! (Or maybe he is 6 feet now--I'll need to check.) But it'll be easier once he's back in school--not so much of his clutter to work around.

The cats are still in a funk over their new situation. Rescue remedy doesn't seem to be helping much to calm them down. I sure hope they get used to the change and go back to normal. Meanwhile I bought the cutest feeding station for the (another reason why the need to get along). It's a slightly raised wooden board with cutouts to hold five bowls--all separated by about 6 inches. I figure each cat will get a bowl of wet and the other two can be communal dry food. Wet, dry, wet, dry, wet. But it'll only work if they get along.
Maybe if you put something extra yummy like tuna in there, they will forget they don't love each other!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
They're cats! Cats never do what YOU want - they do as the spirit moves them. And it might be a very different spirit day to day.

Nattie is terrified of the backyard - after we proofed it all and got her a collar and tag etc. But she's fine if we carry her out and show the yard first, before putting her down. At least this is what she got DH to do yesterday. I have a feeling she is going to keep herself and him busy coming up with outrageous things for him to do for her.

I am also not immune to her charms.

Dagmar my Nattie!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #21  

I'm thinking of better days to come. Found a photo of where we are going to retire (if all goes well) that I took when I went there to scout it out. If I can figure out how I'll post it on here soon. Put it up as my desktop wallpaper to inspire me.

Dagmar
Old 08-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #22  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Dagmar - animals are great for that, aren't they? I (usually) love being reminded by them to wake up and be happy just because it's another day!!
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote