Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #46  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Becky, I would LOVE to meet your grandma. I get so much joy out of seeing "super seniors" - those who are well into their 80s or beyond, still living a full life with vitality.

Allison, I am so sorry your beloved dog is not doing well. I can only echo what others have said- enjoy the moment and take comfort in your many happy memories.

Dagmar, I'm headed up in your direction this weekend. We're going to visit my cousin in Dundas and probably go into Toronto on a couple of those days (as well as one day on Blue Mountain). Sorry the weather hasn't been more cooperative. Do you own Yak Trax? In your line of work, I imagine they would be a virtual necessity. We've had plenty of snow here in Lansing but I don't have to walk around in it all day.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Andrea Don't know if you like art or not but this is on right now at our AGO - Art Gallery of Ontario.

http://www.ago.net/the-great-upheava...im-collection/

As for the Yak Trax or similar I get in and out of the car at least 40 times a day. Taking those off to drive and putting them on again to walk is too much time and trouble and frustration. I have learned to walk expecting to fall and also to still fall pretty well (I try to land on my butt or side - there's padding there ) rather than relying on artificial means. I do balancing exercises with my yoga to help that too.

That's all part of my plan for staying fit and active as a senior. I have been laying the foundations for a couple of years now. My major problem will be injuries sustained now getting worse. I think there will be a lot of Aleve (or similar) in my retirement but that's OK.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Looks like I'll be spending the pre-Christmas weekend alone. At this point that's fine with me. I don't really want to listen to DH *****ing all weekend long about his boss and he'll be so hung over Sunday night that he'll be quiet then too.

So much for "new house, new life". At least for the two of us together.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #49  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Aw, Dag - Living with another human long-term ain't easy. It's good that you have some other interests and are now in a neighborhood. Sounds like an opportunity to go for a walk and maybe meet some new faces, note what landscaping has interesting winter forms, skate off to a movie that only you want to see ... or just cuddle up with a lonely book.

Andrea, "Super Senior" fits her perfectly! The woman painted her kitchen, walls AND ceiling, just last year. She's so stinkin' cute - she's 4'10" tall, with a beehive red hairdo that gets her up to about 5'4", and tells me proudly (with good reason) that she still weighs the same as she did in high school. And she can benchpress 75# 8 times, which I'm pretty sure is more than I could do right now.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Glad Chico had a yummy meal Allison! I hope he continues to have a ravenous appetite! Is your other dog jealous (do you have another dog or am I forgetting?)?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #51  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Dagmar - is it okay for me to ask what is going on, that you have so much contempt for your husband? That makes me so sad to read, it has to be hard to have that enmity in your home

Rough start to my morning here, primarily because I haven't been getting to bed on time but am still committed to waking up at 5:00 or so. Between being sick and now running on 5-6 hour of sleep nightly, I'm struggling to keep my eyes open this morning. It's the last day of our swimming and piano for the kids this year, and I have cookies to deliver for goody plates for the swim instructors. I'll be glad for a two or three week break! And I was bad, I ate two of the cookies and some dough, which isn't going to contribute to my feeling energetic, either. Boo!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #52  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm so glad to hear that you got Chico to eat, Allison!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #53  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Allison, I'm also happy to hear Chico's eating. Meatloaf sounds pretty good to me right now, too!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Glad Chico had a yummy meal Allison! I hope he continues to have a ravenous appetite! Is your other dog jealous (do you have another dog or am I forgetting?)?
He ate well last night but is refusing everything except turkey deli meat today. I even heated up some steak tips with gravy (people food) and he won't eat that. And yes, Misty is a little jealous but she'll get over it. The cats feasted on roast beef deli meat, sardines and canned chicken this morning in addition to their usual cat food.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #55  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Allison, I am sending good thoughts to you and Chico.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #56  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

HDKFHDfdhkkfhdkfhsdsdkhsdk just wrote personals to everyone and then spazzed out and closed the browser window.

Short form -

<3 to Chico and Allison and the family.

Hope everyone here can manage to escape from negativity if only for a little while today and find some peace in the chaos of Christmas mania, consumerism, terrible weather and loved ones not being the best they can be. And thank you for the support when I drove like a moron in upstate NY winter - a real "duh" moment.

Jen - BF is in Ogdensburg today with King Cuomo. Maybe you'll see him there!

Last edited by krampus; 12-19-2013 at 12:13 PM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #57  
Chuggin' along...

This week my office has had daily treats appearing on the conference table 25 feet from my desk. I've discovered brushing my teeth after I finish my coffee is a successful deterrent to getting a second breakfast. My willpower has been better this week but not perfect. Tonight we have BF's company's Christmas party which is hosted at a really yummy restaurant. If the buffet is the same as past years it's not overwhelming but I'll need to exercise portion control/one plate rule. I'm driving us home and working tomorrow so at least I can't drink.

Michele, my mom did go to a doctor (not sure - probably her gp) when the sciatica started to get an mri or cat scan or something to make sure she didn't have a blood clot, and I assume that is the dr who gave her some pain meds and muscle relaxers. She said she made an appt w a neurologist since it's related to nerve pain but they couldn't get her in until Jan 22. I suggested a chiropractor and she said someone else had told her that, too. I don't know if she'll try to go to a chiro this week. She's one of those "I'm too busy to go to the dr" types. She said she's slowly feeling better and went to work again yesterday.

Dagmar, I agree w Becky's suggestions. You've been needing a break. Enjoy the weekend wo DH's negativity. Curl up with the cats and read a good book, take a nice bath in your new tub, etc, and then see if any of the neighbors who came to you Christmas party want to walk around and look at lights or come over for tea.

Becky, I hope I'm a super senior like your grandmother! She sounds like a neat woman.

Taryl, sorry about the lack of sleep. I really suffer when I don't get enough and have to make it a priority, but I don't have kids to take care of so I suspect it's easier for me. I hope you get more rest soon.

Andrea, enjoy your getaway with your family. Stay warm!

Allison, I'm glad Chico had a nice dinner last night. I hope the appetite kicks back in. Maybe it's a time of day thing - maybe he didn't want breakfast but will eat again tonight. s to you guys. Did you bring him into the office today?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I'm not having a good morning. Slept fine. Work is fine. Everything is fine. Except Chico is really going downhill. He's still happy, wagging his tail, following me around, but he's hardly eating. I can give him something for a meal or two and then he refuses it. He did enjoy the chocolate covered JoJo's from Trader Joe's that we had for dessert last night. I thought them to be a bit too sweet, so I'd take a small bite and he'd get the rest. DH did the same. I've instructed DS to give him a little of everything he's eating himself this morning. I think I'll stop by the deli tonight and see what looks a bit tempting for him. Meatloaf might be good. He did enjoy half a can of cat food last night and he'll still eat a little deli turkey, but it's clearly not enough to sustain him.

Sorry if I'm a little down. It's kind of hard to contribute to the conversation when I feel so bad.
I understand how much you love that dog , sorry he has to go through this. Know that I , and others ore thinking of you at this sad time, wish I could do something to help. Does he like Greenies ? Most dogs do.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I understand how much you love that dog , sorry he has to go through this. Know that I , and others ore thinking of you at this sad time, wish I could do something to help. Does he like Greenies ? Most dogs do.
He's never liked Greenies (although the cats do). He'll eat jerky type treats and my friend sent me an Omaha steaks order for Christmas and it has two bags of jerky treats. He gets some each night.

He'll usually eat something if I take the first bite. This morning that meant two peanut butter sandwich cookies that I bought just for him. I took a nibble and he ate the rest. He does like cookies!

DH might be bringing him a couple cheeseburgers for lunch.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #60  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Popping in to say Good Morning. Hope Chico is eating well today.

I have a quiet weekend planned, enjoying indoor days while we have some rainy weather.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote