Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Of course. Beam yourselves over. (I know you know how to do that!)

You can *all* come.
I'm in - I love home made jelly, jam, whatever you want to call it, on toast. I never buy mass produced jams as they all taste of sugar and nothing else to me.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #47  

Default interment

So my cousins and I saw to the interment of my dad's ashes. It was overseen by the same lovely man I dealt with on Sunday. Gorgeous sunny day and he took us over in a golf cart. We did the interment very quickly and found out that my mom's ashes had been sitting in the niche since 1994 - my dad had her dug up and moved 2 years after she died (long kinda funny story) - wrapped in brown paper with a tag on them. The tone of the occasion was this:

"Wow, it looks like mom's about to be sent out in the post" - Dagmar

"With the most neatly taped package I've ever seen" - Erik

So I have to pick out an urn or box for her and have them transfer the ashes into it and redo the niche stuff.

Then we took a tour of the famous people's monuments who were buried in the cemetary and went also to a couple of more obscure stones. The funeral person was very knowledgeable about all of the monuments and we also found out that this particular cemetary was an "arboreum" - and contained every single one of the trees and shrubs native to southern Ontario.

A nice relaxed time for the most part.

Dagmar
Old 09-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Awful quiet here - I hope that means everyone is having a great weekend!

Ran a 10K this morning - Run for Recovery from Addictions - so it was a cause near and dear to my heart. I blistered my personal record and came in at 44:59. I'm pretty stoked about that, especially since I just ran that 1/2 marathon last weekend so I thought that I was going to be tired!

We are leaving for our vacation tomorrow and have no idea if there will be any way to access the internet, so I may not be on here for a week.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Wow, Jen, congrats on the time! Have a wonderful weekend.

I helped the economy today, as DH would say. I took DS shopping for clothes for college--2 pair of jeans, 2 pair of shorts, at least 4 or 5 t-shirts, a heavier jacket than he's ever owned, a pair of shoes and a comfy bathrobe.

We're on our 2nd week (or more) of afternoon thundershowers. Of the two weeks, we've seen less than 3 actual showers in our area. Of course one was the mother of all showers and we're still reeling from that. It devastated two canyons owned by local tribes and it may be months before they can be reopened for hiking (they're trails where you pay the tribe to hike and they're beautiful with their oases). I've had no less than 8 emergency alerts for thundershowers and flash floods and just now it started drizzling.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #50  
Workin' It

I'm here, just not very chatty. We have DSS this weekend and he has kept us jumping.

Dagmar - I've been out of pocket this last week and never said how sorry I am for the loss of your dad. Knowing the relationship you've described, I'm not sorry so much for his passing specifically, but sorry that you had so much suffering in your relationship with him and so much drama with other family around it. I was reading the story of the internment this weekend and saw humor and peace in it, that made me happy. I hope you are well.

Great 10k Jen! We I have a 15k next weekend and can't begin to tell you how totally unprepared I am.

I'm up and down lately. I've not exercised this week, but I've eaten alright. Last week I ate like a train wreck but exercised. I've lost my lovely routine I built in July and August before I got sick and school started. I need to get back in, shake it up a little.

Have I ever said I love to turn the radio up and sing at the top of my lungs in the car? I'm that person other drivers make fun of for tapping on the steering wheel, gesturing with the song. I especially love it with show tunes. It is hard to feel down or despondent while belting out a song with Mama Rose or defying gravity. Seriously.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #51  

Shannon I too am a car singer - with the windows closed of course (I can't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow). I also play air drums and guitar and keyboards. Most people at stop lights find me totally amusing.

Dagmar
Old 09-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post

I helped the economy today, as DH would say. I took DS shopping for clothes for college--2 pair of jeans, 2 pair of shorts, at least 4 or 5 t-shirts, a heavier jacket than he's ever owned, a pair of shoes and a comfy bathrobe.
Allison, take me shopping, I would need exactly the same things you bought DS.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

bargoo~DS is super easy to shop for. I pick it out, he tries it on and if it fits, I buy it. He didn't dislike anything I picked out, however, I made him pick out his t-shirts (I might pick the wrong design!).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
bargoo~DS is super easy to shop for. I pick it out, he tries it on and if it fits, I buy it. He didn't dislike anything I picked out, however, I made him pick out his t-shirts (I might pick the wrong design!).
My friend took her preschooler to go shopping for school clothes, After while he was weary of trying clothes on and said, " Mama, I'm tired, put my Jesus pants on and let's go home". He meant the pants he was wearing which he usually wore to Sunday School.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #55  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Jesus pants. Cute.

This week has been randomly bad in the food and activity department for no real good reason. It scares me a bit. I wonder if Ive lost my mojo after 2 years. Gonna try and start from scratch this week. Hopefully I can reverse any possible gain before it happens.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote