Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #16  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Bill, I love sugar snaps. Jealous of your garden (though not the care and maintenance of it) and your obvious joy in summertime. To me, summer is just a hot season when the kids are out of school so I need to make lots of plans for keeping them entertained and out of trouble.

Saef, I've had exactly those same sentiments about running. I am a terrible runner (no stamina whatsoever; I either drop into a fast walk every 1/4 mile, or I get a stitch in my side, or both) and find it really, really hard to go more than 2-3 miles. People who can run comfortably mile after mile absolutely mystify me: what alien sort of cardiovascular system do they have? What alternate neuromuscular wiring allows them to keep moving forward at the same pace for 5, 10, 15 miles or more?

Dagmar, I both understand and envy you your hard-fought comfort with body image. I am definitely much more comfortable in my own skin than I was 5 years ago, and strength training has been a HUGE help in that regard. But I still have scale-dependent self-esteem, and a bad day is virtually synonymous with a "feeling fat" day. Even though I have given up on seeing the scale show me my "goal weight," I would love to get to a point where I can register gains and losses in a merely clinical way, and use the number only as a guide to tell me if my energy intake and expenditure are in balance or need to be adjusted.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I used to be so glad when "Monday" came and I was back to work. Not so much now, particularly after 3 days mostly off, doing stuff I like. I think it's partly aging and partly burn-out - I've been a commercial dogwalker since 1994, full time since 1996. That's a long time to do anything. I still enjoy it but I'd like to do less of it. I thought this week would be a slow one, with 3 dogs away, but I got replacements booked that I really didn't want. But you have to help people out in a service business and I get to finally walk a pug - something I've wanted to do for years. Even better - his name is DOUG! How cute is that.

I will need the money though - DH already thinks he's going to need about $500 worth of power tools to work on the new house. I'm going to spend the money. If that gets him off the couch and away from the TV it's money well spent.

We get to visit the house tomorrow morning @ 9. I am NOT booking in anything last minute and cancelling the visit. Tomorrow is the day we find out if the furnace can be moved and if a pass through from kitchen to dining room is possible.

I better go stretch!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #18  

Addiction thrfives on secrecy. So here is my second daily report: I kept to my goals, very little sugar, solid weight loss of two pounds. Two more days and I will be over the "withdrawal" from sugar. Then the long plateau of maintenance!!!
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Count me in as one of those who are contemplating lipo or cool sculpt or any of the myriad of other treatments out there. I'd love my upper arms and back fat areas gone! Googling doesn't really help because all you get are the "rave reviews" which only cement my apprehension. Lately the Debbie Boone Lifestyle Lift is looking quite alluring.

saef~this neighbor usually employs a house sitting service when she travels. There was a snag in her reservations this time. She was scheduled to leave July 13th or so but when she called to confirm, they had nothing for that date and they offered her the week prior to the 13th but she had already booked her house sitter for the week of the 13th and they didn't know if they had anyone available for the prior week, so she called me. She's still trying to get her usual sitter to do the job and she'll let me know if it turns out she doesn't need me. In some respects I do hope I don't have to do the job, however, I'd love to get back in her house and take some photos to share with you all! While it isn't anywhere near what the TV show is like, she is very, very much a hoarder.

Andrea~I'm like you on the running. Only once in my C25K was I able to run the entire 5k. When I was at the top of my game, I could manage to make about 3/4 a mile with a 2 minute rest (slow walk) and then another 3/4 mile. The second 3/4 was downhill and much easier. I've never been a runner--hated all aspects of running in my childhood and have never experienced that "runner's high" that we all hear about.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #20  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I have been kind of lurking around these maintainer threads. I am enjoying reading about dog walking, trips to Greece and summer gardens. Its gonna be hot today. I think I will take my boys swimming today.

I have not posted much because I some how think that my maintaining weight loss is an illusion. Its been three weeks and I actually just accidentally lost another pound. I increased calories and my workouts but am feeling like I should not be eating this much food. I need to keep watch over micro nutrients. I noticed I have been eating too much fruit. Still working at those healthy habits.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome dstalksalot, You are welcome here anytime no matter where you are in maintenance. PS. I have not walked any dogs lately or been to Greece and I don't have a summer garden. I am a totally boring person.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #22  

Allison I'm kinda "old school" so please don't take offense at this but IMHO posting photos of this woman's household anywhere online is an invasion of her privacy. I think your use of the word "hoarder" gives all of us a clear enough idea.

Dagmar
Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Allison I'm kinda "old school" so please don't take offense at this but IMHO posting photos of this woman's household anywhere online is an invasion of her privacy. I think your use of the word "hoarder" gives all of us a clear enough idea.

Dagmar
Ooh, I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #24  
Workin' It

Saef - I've been running for four years now and I still have no grace whatsoever. DH tells me I look like a person who just learned how to walk and don't know what to do with my arms when I run. I always feel like Phoebe from Friends. LOL

Hey there, dstalks! Welcome. Post here all you want, we'd love to get to 'know' you.

Dagmar - I love your comfort with yourself. I hope I have that one day.

Welcome back, Chris. I'm sorry about the loss of your business, and am glad that kicking the sugar monster back seems to be going well.

Andrea - I don't think the scale number will ever be something clinical for me. It will always be fraught with anxiety.

Allison - wow, 15 cats. I can't imagine.

I was reading an article yesterday about how so many people obsess about food and it said "The average adult spends 338 days of their life calorie-counting - that equates to 20 minutes a day, over two hours a week and an average of 121 hours per year checking labels for calorie content, talking about calories or thinking about calories." That is a little freaky when you look at the total numbers like that.

On the topic of summer gardens, we are getting too much rain this year. It is rinsing all the nutrients out of my raised bed soil, the plants aren't growing tall and my tomatoes are cracking while they try to turn from too much moisture. My peppers are doing well and I'm about to be flooded in jalapeno, but I need the rain to slow down. LOL Didn't think I'd say that after the drought last year. I haven't had to water a single time in over a month, the rain has done it for me.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 07-02-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #25  

Shannon We also have "too much" rain up here. I was chatting with the cashier at the local grocery chain and she did not plant seeds this year. Apparently last year's were a wasted effort and, looking at a long range forecast that predicted lots of rain, she passed on her vegetable garden this year.

Yet we have allotment gardens near 2 places that I drive past most days and everyone in there is tending something. I guess some plants like lots of moisture and others don't?

Dagmar
Old 07-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #26  

I've been given a slight reprieve. It looks as if I'll only need to do one day plus one morning feeding. I'm actually quite relieved. I was up last night dreading the prospect of having to do it for a whole week!

So instead I have to dread telling an insurance salesman no. We have our liability, workers' comp and auto policies with one company and our life insurance with another. Last summer I had to deal with a competitor who wanted our business for the worker's comp (a lot more work than it was worth) and lately our life insurance guy wanted our liability business (and hinted that once he got that he'd get our auto policy). Although his insurance quote was reasonable and slightly less than what we're paying now, I'm of the mindset of "if it's not broke, don't fix it." The rep we're with now is excellent to work with. He and his staff are easy to work with and they're fast. A few months ago DH and I wanted to up our life ins because of the new building. It took them months to get things set up. So I feel bad to tell this guy no but I just worry that we wouldn't get as good a service.

I'm not good at this kind of thing.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Andrea....you sound like my running twin! I just gasp and pant and look like a fool. Dh says I run too fast and burn out too quick. I hate running!

My weight was down a bit today. Hoping I don't jinx it by posting.

Trying to come up with some nice healthy recipes for the fourth. What are y'all making?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Andrea....you sound like my running twin! I just gasp and pant and look like a fool. Dh says I run too fast and burn out too quick. I hate running!

My weight was down a bit today. Hoping I don't jinx it by posting.

Trying to come up with some nice healthy recipes for the fourth. What are y'all making?
One of my favorites is tomato mozzarella salad.
Sliced tomatoes
About an equal amount mozzarella balls
A few ripe olives
Vinaigrette dressing
I like to use Girard's Champagne Dressing . Sliced cucumbers could also be added. If you have some Feta Cheese on hand a few sprinkles on top can also be added. This is especially attractive in a clear glass bowl.

Last edited by bargoo; 07-02-2013 at 09:07 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #29  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Why oh why don't I have a Trader Joe's in my town? The nearest one is a 45 minute drive, and the only time I can justify the time is when we're going to my father-in-law's house for a visit (about every 6 weeks). I am in love with their pre-made salads, dips, marinated meats and the many, many healthy frozen entrees and sides they carry. I could live on their food nonstop for weeks, if only they were closer :>(

Not sure if I already posted this, but since coming home from Greece, it's just me and my oldest DS (almost 15) since middle son is still with DH in Greece and youngest is at "camp grandma" in NJ. I can't believe how much easier he is to deal with when we're alone. No arguments, no complaining, actually made [a healthy] dinner the first night we were home, and has done the dishes and the laundry after a single request (he's home all day while I am at work). I am so encouraged by this, I am practically euphoric.

Unlike some of you, DS and I are invited to my aunt and uncle's for the 4th, so I don't have to do any food prep. Unfortunately, she's threatening to just order pizza and salad, because DS is a vegetarian and she "doesn't know how to cook for him." Thus, even though I don't HAVE to cook, I think I will end up WANTING to cook, so that I can bring with me something to eat other than pizza. Do you think it would be too much of a rebuke if I brought a healthy vegetarian dish that DS will eat (e.g., garbanzo bean-feta-mint-edamame salad)?
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

That sounds perfectly yummy Andrea! Please make extra for me!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote