Maintainers Weekly Chat Apr 29 - May 5

You're on Page 4 of 5
Go to
  • I'm happy you held a tanager, Megan, because that means he's on his way north. In a couple weeks, if I'm in deep woods, I'll hear him from the top of a tulip tree or an ancient maple. I'll barely be able to see him, because the trees will be so leafed out, and they like the coolest, shadiest places. He'll be flicking his wings and showing off his red, red back to prospective mates. Please do share photographs. We're entering into warbler season and I will be out in the woods this weekend if I have any control at all over my life.
  • Quote: I've been immersed in field work for the past 2 weeks with several grad students, a post doc, and professor who are studying migratory songbirds on barrier islands of the gulf coast as they return from southern climates. I've learned how to untangle the birds from mist nets, band them, and am working on IDing my species and analyzing fat and muscle tone. I'm also having a fun time making friends with some really nice, cool people. This morning I held a beautiful male scarlet tanager in my hand. I'll have to post some photos when I download them.
    Wow! Sounds amazing Megan. We had a beautiful little bird (I am not a birder so can't ID anything) with yellow head and wings zip into the off leash area yesterday. Bulut (from Istanbul) went right for it. I corraled her as it flew and dipped among the dogs. I'll have to be careful with her - she sees birds as "good eatin'" despite getting 3 good meals a day at home.

I have been so immersed in househunting, dog sitting, and complaint listening (DH) that I've forgotten to notice spring. I was sitting in my car yesterday after work and suddenly became aware of how beautiful the magnolias, forsythia, and other flowering shrubs and trees are becoming. I'm going to take my camera along this morning and get some pics to use for screen savers.

TGIF!

Dagmar
  • A bit off subject, cat owners--help!
    Louie, my orange tabby, hasn't been himself this week. Sunday night and again this morning he ate his entire meal, backed up from his dish and puked up the whole meal (canned food--same food he's been on for over 6 months). Over the past year, I think he has lost a pound. Nothing huge, but he's pretty skinny whereas my tuxedo has probably gained 2 or 3 pounds. He eats his next meal without trouble. But his poops start out pretty normal but end up rather mushy at the end.

Also, the skin on Louie's eyelid and bottom lip have gotten some strange brown pigment changes. On his eyelids, the bottom rim of his eyelids each have 3 or 4 brown lines and his bottom lip has a brown freckle-like mark right in the middle.

Does any of this sound like something a vet ought to look at?
  • Here in Northern California where I live the forecast is for 94 degrees today. My home state of Minnesota is getting 18 inches of SNOW today, May 3 !!
  • Quote: Louie, my orange tabby, hasn't been himself this week. Sunday night and again this morning he ate his entire meal, backed up from his dish and puked up the whole meal (canned food--same food he's been on for over 6 months). Over the past year, I think he has lost a pound. Nothing huge, but he's pretty skinny whereas my tuxedo has probably gained 2 or 3 pounds. He eats his next meal without trouble. But his poops start out pretty normal but end up rather mushy at the end.

Also, the skin on Louie's eyelid and bottom lip have gotten some strange brown pigment changes. On his eyelids, the bottom rim of his eyelids each have 3 or 4 brown lines and his bottom lip has a brown freckle-like mark right in the middle.

Allison-- he's probably fine, but if it was me, I'd take him to the vet. He could have something as easy to fix as worms...... he is young and shouldn't be losing weight.
  • Can I ask you what food it is? Are the cats indoor/outdoor or exclusively indoor?
  • I feed them Fussie Cat canned along with Felidae dry from time to time. They are indoor cats EXCEPT that a few times a week we take them out in our back yard where they are trailed by us relentlessly. They get no more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time and they have never left the back yard.

And with the soft poop, I was also thinking worms. I guess I'll need to take a sample in.
  • Congratulations Jessica! I hope they stay in the NICU is short and uneventful

Welcome to the world, sweet girls!
  • Quote: I feed them Fussie Cat canned along with Felidae dry from time to time. They are indoor cats EXCEPT that a few times a week we take them out in our back yard where they are trailed by us relentlessly. They get no more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time and they have never left the back yard.

And with the soft poop, I was also thinking worms. I guess I'll need to take a sample in.
    Mushy poop can be too much soft food - we had a cat who consumed primarily canned food and that caused similar issues in him, compared to our other cat who was a dry food fiend. But if this just popped up and he's losing weight I'd assume gastric distress of some sort. Worms may well be the culprit.
  • Quote: Louie, my orange tabby, hasn't been himself this week. Sunday night and again this morning he ate his entire meal, backed up from his dish and puked up the whole meal (canned food--same food he's been on for over 6 months). Over the past year, I think he has lost a pound. Nothing huge, but he's pretty skinny whereas my tuxedo has probably gained 2 or 3 pounds. He eats his next meal without trouble. But his poops start out pretty normal but end up rather mushy at the end.

Always best to take cats to the vet sooner rather than later. Mudpie has been losing weight for the past couple of months. Lots of puking and loud meowing sometimes. We assumed it was her thyroid stuff coupled with old age. I picked her up the other day and she barely registered as weight - we took her in today and turns out she has a "lump" in her stomach area. They're not sure what it is yet but they're doing tests and she'll probably need surgery.

Dagmar
  • Going to a BarBQue tonight , could be dangerous calorie wise. I will try to practice portion control. I see the next few months with lots of picnics, beach parties BarbQues ahead. Oh, my !
  • Good luck Bargoo!!

I'm very grumpy about my weight. I'm just not understanding it and I'm trying to remain patient and not be too hard on myself. I gained almost 10 pounds on my cruise in mid March. It is two months later and I really haven't taken any off. I fluctuate but keep going back up. I've eaten nothing off plan in two months. Literally. I've worked out every day. Literally. My thyroid meds have been changed but they should be helping as they've been increased. I'm not sure what else to do, but trying to be positive.... Dh comes back from China tomorrow. Maybe having him home will help my stress levels and the weight will drop. I certainly hope so.

On another subject.... anyone have any experience with Mensa? My younger dd expressed interest in joining yesterday. We found it very interesting because she has never embraced her giftedness (she is at a genius level). The psychologist we have all seen predicted that once she went away to college she wouldn't feel so abnormal and would want to seek out others in her intelligence realm. She is finishing her freshman year next week. I guess the doc was right.... I don't know anyone who is in it. Is it just something to brag about or would it have some possible benefits for her?
  • Michele , can't help you much with your weight except to share a little of my experience . It was Jan of 2012 when I accepted the grim fact that I had gained 13 pounds over my hard earned goal weight. I decided it had to go and I got back on track but it took until March, 2012 to get back to Goal weight and April of 2013 to get to my dream weight.
    My best advice, do not give up.
  • Michele, FWIW, I belonged to Mensa for a few years. For me, it didn't do much except the bragging rights (which wasn't a perk since I never mentioned it to anyone). I think the purpose and value of it are to go to the Mensa-sponsored events to interact with other individuals as bright as you, which I really didn't do after I joined, because I had just gotten married, and DH wasn't into socializing with strangers and I wasn't into socializing without DH. I think it would be fun if she's looking to make friends.
  • Another FWIW, Michele. Long before I met him, my SO took their tests and was invited to join. The attitudes and values displayed in the magazine they sent were such a turn-off, though, that he took it no further. But I'd say no harm in your DD investigating. What she finds might suit her.