Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Happy Easter to those who celebrate.

I woke up to a clear, bright though slightly frosty morning, well before my visiting mother, who was sleeping in the next room. The apartment complex was so quiet and serene. After two cups of coffee, I decided to do one of my holiday morning runs. It feels good to be out and have the streets to myself on those mornings. No traffic, no people trekking toward the train station. My hands were really cold but a long-sleeved thermal shirt was warm enough. I ran along the Bronx River Parkway and did encounter other runners and dog walkers and some people doing both, running with leashed dogs. I went about 4.25 miles, according to MapMyRun, and felt great all along the way. I rarely run -- I think this was my first time in four or five months -- and am amazed at how good this felt, maybe because it wasn't a chore, it was a choice on my part.

Later, I went to the gym and lifted weights, but the run was definitely one of the best parts of my Easter.
It feels good to change up the routine sometimes. I too want to shake off the winter inertia and do something a bit different. I did a bunch of walking with DH this Easter weekend - trying to get him in the habit of going outside and moving.

He got a lighter, better condition used bike a couple of weeks ago. He got that bike fixed up and is ready to roll. I think I'll get him to do a ride with me next weekend, if the weather and my back co-operate. I think I will also go for a walk by myself, really early Sunday morning. I haven't had a chance to do that since New Year's Day and I think it'll be really nice to go through a local ravine and hear the birds waking up.

Dagmar
Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Happy Easter to those who celebrate.

I woke up to a clear, bright though slightly frosty morning, well before my visiting mother, who was sleeping in the next room. The apartment complex was so quiet and serene. After two cups of coffee, I decided to do one of my holiday morning runs. It feels good to be out and have the streets to myself on those mornings. No traffic, no people trekking toward the train station. My hands were really cold but a long-sleeved thermal shirt was warm enough. I ran along the Bronx River Parkway and did encounter other runners and dog walkers and some people doing both, running with leashed dogs. I went about 4.25 miles, according to MapMyRun, and felt great all along the way. I rarely run -- I think this was my first time in four or five months -- and am amazed at how good this felt, maybe because it wasn't a chore, it was a choice on my part.

Later, I went to the gym and lifted weights, but the run was definitely one of the best parts of my Easter.
As a runner myself, I am shocked that you were able to go 4.25 miles after not running for a while! Great job!! It sounds like a much better and more peaceful run then I had!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #48  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
As a runner myself, I am shocked that you were able to go 4.25 miles after not running for a while! Great job!! It sounds like a much better and more peaceful run then I had!
Thanks, Jen. This is due to all my low-impact cardio conditioning: I spend 45-60 minutes every day doing some form of cardio, changing it up between spin classes, the stairmaster and the arc trainer or elliptical cranked to high resistance. So I've got the breath for it and at the doctor's office, I'm always told I've got an athlete's pulse rate. (They always ask: "Do you run?" No, but that's not the only form of cardio available, thank goodness.) On those rare occasions when I run, once I get used to the pounding and impact, and figure out a gait and a rhythm, it feels really, really good. The novelty of it keeps me engaged. But novelty is something that wears off rapidly. My feet and knees and hips wouldn't be able to withstand the stress of running weekly. If I were 10 years younger, I'd give it a try.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #49  
Workin' It

Saef - I'm glad that you enjoyed your run! I also have a runner's pulse rate at the doctor, it helps when I've been off for a while. LOL

Exhale - I'm sorry that you are having a hard time. I've found that the bad foods don't make me feel good like they used to any more.

Dagmar - I hope DH rides with you next week!

I'm having a pretty good day today. It is Opening Day for baseball, so out first game tonight is at 7:10. I'm going to try to get a run in before it starts and then have something terrible for me for dinner.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #50  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Hello, everyone! saef- I echo what Jen said about running 4+ miles after a hiatus: Even with good cardio conditioning, that's hard! I'm glad it was a peaceful time. I love my early morning runs but, because I refuse to run alone in the dark, I don't get them all that often and have to settle for afternoon runs instead.

Shannon, do you have season tickets? I'm not too into baseball, but BF is a huge Braves fan. I've enjoyed the games I've gone to.

Exhale - I absolutely hate the way I look and feel after eating my old "bad" foods. Puffy and tight, my joints ache and I get headaches (from large overindulgences). And yet, still I occasionally do it. I'm working on it.

I weighed in the morning at 125. More significantly to me, I was on plan all weekend. Woo hoo!! So it CAN be done. Yay. I'm really happy how I built in some small "treats" over the weekend (a frozen yogurt cone at Ikea, sushi one night) without letting it become an excuse to go crazy and overeat all weekend. Darn my black and white thinking.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #51  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Did I kill the thread? Sounds like something I would do!

I hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there. The week has been going well for me so far - food choices and movement, at least - and I was thinking how much easier it is for me when the sun is out. Thank you, sunshine! I don't know if it's Vitamin D or serotonin or what it is, but I need it in my life!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMusic View Post

I hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there. The week has been going well for me so far - food choices and movement, at least - and I was thinking how much easier it is for me when the sun is out. Thank you, sunshine! I don't know if it's Vitamin D or serotonin or what it is, but I need it in my life!
No, you didn't kill the thread, it is still alive and well as am I.....well, alive anyway. I'm with you on the sunshine. My disposition is much improved when the sun is out. At the same time I don't want it to be too hot. Picky.

Last edited by bargoo; 04-03-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #53  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I wasn't on the thread as I really didn't want to put my weight in. I didn't like seeing 147.1 between my toes on the digital scale yesterday morning. Yes, at least it's lower than it was this time last week. And no, I didn't eat anything sweet for Easter. But I keep clinging to my denial, telling myself it's fluid retention because I felt as sore, stiff and in need of oiling in the joints as the Tin Man in the original "Wizard of Oz" movie because of the previous day's workout with the trainer, in which we worked my oblique muscles pretty hard.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #54  
Workin' It

I'm here!

No Jen, we don't have season tickets. My company does, but there is some drama with them this year I think. We get tickets and try to go down when we can, but more often than not we watch the games at home where we can make our own snacks and not have to deal with the traffic.

Bargoo - how did your treatment go Monday?

Saef - I also feel stiff and sore from workouts, I'm hoping it clears up soon.

I'm tired today - I love the sunshine and the pretty blooming things, but the pollen wears me down. I have exercised all of the last 9 days, so I'm proud of that! Weight isn't moving at all, but I'm hoping some of that is the stiff and sore I mentioned.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMusic View Post
That made me laugh! A few years back we had a Thread Killers thread. I think that's where I first "met" Gary.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
That made me laugh! A few years back we had a Thread Killers thread. I think that's where I first "met" Gary.
Allison the Threadkillers thread is still going but barely limping along.

Shannon, Monday's medical visit was OK, nothing unusual. I was kind of surprised at another patient who actually screamed when the nurse inserted the needle in her vein. This was the same nurse that hooked me up and inserted the same type needle. I felt it but didn't think it deserved a scream. I was raised with the mantra "big girls don't cry" that must be the difference,
Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Shannon-- bravo on the exercising! I'm with you with the coffee this morning. It needs to kick in!

Saef-- I always believe that soreness equates to fluid retention in the muscles. That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it.

Regarding Easter sweets. I thought I had escaped them fully. We flew home from our cruise on Easter and our girls aren't here so no presents to give. We came home to Easter goodies from the petsitter though! She gave the puppies some toys and left Cadbury Eggs and Reese's Pieces. I was going to throw them away but dh is enjoying them in the evenings-- he can eat just a few unlike me!

Speaking of dh's and weight. Dh said to me-- "I think I gained what you did on the cruise". I asked what he gained and he said 2 pounds. Ha!!! He couldn't believe I gained almost 8. I'm sure his will be gone eons before mine too.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #58  
Workin' It

I remember the Threadkillers thread. I used to pop in and read it. I wonder if the baseball thread is out there this year without Gary to start it? I find myself running into things that make me think of him often.

Bargoo - I have the 'big girls don't cry' mindset, too. Maybe the woman just wasn't prepared for it and was startled? My uncle went for his first chemo treatment last week, they put a port in for it so new needle at that visit. It took close to five hours though and he wasn't prepared for that - I'm sure the doctor told them, they just didn't absorb it. He has another one next week and is a little more prepared for the time involved.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #59  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

The baseball chat thread continues and welcomes baseball fans:
Baseball Chat Thread

The thread killer thread is a single fun joke that's out run it's course many times. 'Limping along' is a kind description. Feel free to post:
Thread Killers XXVIII

They are two of the places enlivened by Gary. I do miss the old guy.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #60  
Workin' It

I found the baseball thread, thanks Bill! I need to pop back in there and stick around this time.
Closed Thread