Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #46  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Re: cancer issues --> I never know either how to react, how to comfort people. I think I've already mentioned it here once, but this particular topic has always made me very squeamish and frightened. I've had nightmares about it, way more frightening than monsters and endless falls and other "traditional" nightmares. So I just don't know how to react, other than being scared myself. But, well... hang on?

Re: positive reinforcement --> Yeah, in theory, it's great, and I tried to go with that for the past few years. Let's just say the results weren't as great as they were made out to be. Probably it works way better with smaller groups, but not with 27 to 30 12- or 13-year-old kids who'd like to be anywhere but at school. And some of them are clearly 'out to get you' (they're not particularly discreet about it; where I work, it's not seldom to see a whole class act as one on a particular day to 'make the Music teacher cry' or whatever.)

To be fair, I *use* positive reinforcement, and will go on doing so. I always congratulate my pupils when they found the right answer, and it doesn't matter if the kid is a 'good pupil' or the one who I had to punish not two minutes ago. I want them to know that punishment isn't against them as people, and that if they do something nice, then they get nice things in turn. I also use songs in class, I bring movies, things that are beyond the dull old dialogue in the English book. But using only positive reinforcement is, unfortunately, not enough. If we don't regularly punish kids who cause ruckus in the class, then they just cause more and more, no matter how many times they get rewards for good things. (Also, it's as if whatever comes from the teacher is necessarily bad. I mean, seriously, when I bring a movie to class, I'd like to hear something else than "pffff, it's in English, it sucks". Yeah, I teach English, how illogical and ill-advised of me to bring English-dubbed movies. :roll

((Sidenote of the day, I'm still amazed that almost one month into dealing with annoying classes in one of the most difficult schools in town, I haven't given in to bingeing. But then, I also bike to and from school, which probably helps in calming my nerves *before* hitting home and kitchen table?))
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Kery Punishment has it's place. Sometimes something negative IS required. And you're dealing with that age group who are just starting to challenge authority (the dog equivalent is 8 months - 16 months old) so congrats for staying on top of the situation and not caving in to the eating.

You are working with a "tough crowd"!

I certainly punish the dogs when they need it. In their case it's a quick tap to the side of the head and a "shht" a la "Dog Whisperer". I am firm, fast, and fair when doling out taps. And treats. Good behaviour and sometimes just being cute or sitting and asking for one produces a treat from me.

There are other dogs with other handlers who require shoves, and knees in the chest, and various other things. The dogs are totally OK with this - they naturally "punish" each other to establish boundaries and rules within their pack.

The people, on the other hand, tend to be really weird about it. I always get a chuckle out of people who chastise the dog verbally, at length. Their dogs are so obviously NOT listening - it's like they have their paws over their ears and are yelling out "la, la, la".

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #48  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Well, sometimes it's with kids just as with dogs, it seems: "Be quiet!" or "Silence!" works so much better than "Please, class, don't talk, because if you chat, then you can't hear the lesson and blah blah blah..." *drowned into oblivion*
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote