Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #466  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I haven't come up with anything I like better than Andrea's Maintaining Momentum.

Speaking of which, if you didn't catch it on the Chat thread, I sailed through Thanksgiving and remain at 147, after a bout of food poisoning that hit shortly after dinner. The culprit appeared to be raw radishes on the appetizer veggie tray, once the survey of potential sufferers was done and the candidates weeded out. Again my suspicions are confirmed that it is not in my nature to fall prey to the binge/purge syndrome, for what that's worth! Apparently, my muscles believe that hurling (DS calls it the "toxic yawn") constitutes exercise. Funny now ... not at all funny at 2am Friday morning!

And now on to December, the minefield of potlucks and cocktail parties and eggnog. Ohhhhh, eggnog!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #467  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm back to pre-Thanksgiving weight as well, sans food poisoning (thankfully). I must say that I'm still a little sore from the turkey trot, but am on the mend. I really pushed myself too far that morning and then spending the next 5 or 6 hours standing and cooking didn't help. Golf yesterday was excruciating but it was much better today. And this afternoon, after a movie, I have hardly any pain (pain killers may be helping, however).
Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #468  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I'm fortunate with the eggnog. I had a really really bad flu when I was a kid and my mom got me some prescription liquid medicine that was the colour of and tasted like eggnog. I have associated and eggnog ever since and can't stand the stuff.

Now gingerbread (the scandinavian kind that's spicy and crispy), on the other hand . . .

Dagmar
Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #469  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Well ! I like eggnog and gingerbread, too. I don't plan on including either of them in my Holiday Dining.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #470  
Workin' It

Oh I love eggnog... I also love Andrea's Maintaining Momentum thread suggestions.

I am not so unscathed from Thanksgiving, up about 2 pounds. Though I also started TOM and my fingers are puffy, so some of it could be some of that.

Meh.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #471  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
I haven't come up with anything I like better than Andrea's Maintaining Momentum.
Agreed.

And I like eggnog and gingerbread, too. Not currently on my holiday menu and probably won't be.

I'm not sure if I'll bake cookies this year or not. There never seems to be the time for it.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #472  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Thinking I'll make room for a pint container of a top-notch eggnog (or make it myself). It's a ritual to have some while decorating the tree - especially while doing the lights, since it numbs the pain! And since so many other holiday treats are off my list due to the red and green food coloring ... I just need to remember the mantra, "Quality over quantity" - the rest can take care of itself.

I don't have time to go swimming tonight, but I am going anyway. Another case of quality over quantity! If only there were an easy way to apply that to driving mileage too, but designing a teleporter by next month is notgonnahappen.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #473  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I didn't make it to the gym to lift weights this morning because of ignoring my alarm & sleeping late, resisting re-entry into the working world.

But the scale had a nice number for me: I lost a little over three pounds since the morning before Thanksgiving.

This is due to my abstemiousness. Celebrations have been very low key since my father's death in 2008, which came just days before the holiday. We do the turkey, yeah, but the plainest side dishes imaginable, and since I don't eat dessert, my mother has a dish of ice cream and then heads to the neighbors' for pie and coffee. There is nothing in the house to nosh on, no sense of it being any reason to eat treats or eat specially. I don't make anything because I don't feel like I have to feed anyone. In short, all the temptations that most of you face are completely removed.

And yes, through my own will, I kept up my gym-going. The only thing lacking was my Pilates mat class.

I snacked less, maybe from sleeping more and feeling a little more relaxed.

Consequently, I've had an actual loss, so I am finally going to adjust my ticker & record, as this downward trend seems not to be an illusory thing.

Last edited by saef; 11-27-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #474  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

That's great Saef!

We still have half a pumpkin pie in the fridge but I'm tossing it when I get home. That and a bit of turkey is left. Dd made the pumpkin pie and it was delish but I can abstain from it and since I'm the only one home for 2 weeks it will go bad.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #475  

We have two slices of pie left. One apple, one pumpkin pecan. I was thinking DH and I would split them last night if he said he wanted dessert. He didn't so they remain in the fridge. I don't know if we'll eat them or if I'll toss them. I can always have DH and DS split them.

I've been thinking of food too much. This morning I remembered a recipe that I might have to make one weekend. It's decadent with lots of bread and cheese, but if I serve it with salad I can get away with just a small serving.

My weight is slowly going back down. It's been quite a yo-yo for the past few days.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #476  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Saef, very good scale news! It sounds like you have clambered to the top of the chaos pile for a while - build a fortified observation platform and have a comfy chair delivered. Maybe the metaphor that is the scale is reflecting your victories in other areas?

There's pie left at our house - pecan and apple, I think. DH will inhale it before the end of the week. My danger zone is the abundance of leftover bagel chips and tortilla chips; they're gradually getting burned up in lunches and such ... but I really have to be vigilant around all of those open bags.

I didn't swim on Monday. I somehow have been volunteered to help with the choir uniform fittings, and this task is so totally unsuited to my strengths and preferences that I have been too exhausted to move by the time I get home. We've completed the blazer/slacks/ties outfit, and have moved on to the vestments. Seriously, getting a bunch of little dudes (and even some of the older ones) to stand still and/or do several trying-ons of cassock/cotta combinations ... oh, my head. And we think women's sizes make no sense? These vestments come from Europe and have a weird chest/height letter designation. What fits in a cossack may not fit in a cotta, and I think only one or two kids out of about 30 didn't change size from last year. Owowowowow. Put that on top of having to work with the inventory, which has typically had some alterations to bring it into line with the very strict dress code. I'm hoping between tonight and next Monday, we can get everyone covered and I can go back to happily listening to the practices.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #477  

No pie at our house. DH and I finished it last night, with me taking 1/3 of each leftover slice and giving 2/3 to DH. It gave me maybe 3 bites of each flavor. And the scale didn't go up, so it's all good.

Tried shiritake tofu noodles for the first time last night. The package had a recipe for Hungry Girl chicken noodle soup and I used that but added a cup of chopped up leftover turkey to the recipe. It was really good! I may be a convert.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #478  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post

Tried shiritake tofu noodles for the first time last night. The package had a recipe for Hungry Girl chicken noodle soup and I used that but added a cup of chopped up leftover turkey to the recipe. It was really good! I may be a convert.
I didn't like them at all when I tried them. Maybe I didn't rinse enough and I should try again???
Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #479  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
I didn't like them at all when I tried them. Maybe I didn't rinse enough and I should try again???
I rinsed them for about 3 minutes full force in a strainer (DD says she also gets her hands in and moves them around to help) and then I cooked them in the microwave for a minute or so before adding them to the soup. They suggested microwave or parboil to remove more of the taste. They were a bit fish-y when eaten plain. DD also said that miracle noodles are better--zero calories and no weird taste at all.

PS tomorrow is DD's 22nd birthday. She is .2 pounds from losing 50 pounds since last Christmas. She's really hoping to get there so she can post it for her birthday!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #480  
Workin' It

Happy almost birthday to dd, Allison! She has made so much progress this year, that is fantastic!
Closed Thread