Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #31  
Workin' It

Allison - I saw the article about your vet from your FB, that is just tragic. Did he ever make any kind of statement on what happened? And I'm sorry about the girlfriend - or at least the stress that the girlfriend is causing. You're having a tough week. And I agree with Bargoo - rant all you like.

Michele - the gym classes with DD sound fun! Is DH home for a while now, or will he be traveling again when you get back home?

Megan - I also am a creature of habit and structure. I have learned in the last year that it is hard to keep my habits and my structure when I commit to external things, like the PTSA. I imagine you have the same thing with the fall theater. I log my food on The Daily Plate, I like it in the website, but don't love the iPad app even with recent improvements. And I have to agree with Saef - if I'd been able to go release sea turtles with a friend of the family as a child there would be no letting go of the hero worship.

Becky - I hope that the window/wall presentation goes well. Sounds like a lot of remodeling in your future - good luck with that.

Saef - are you starting to feel more settled?

Janelle - thanks for the snicker this morning on the man PMS pack. I could have used some 'mandol' with my XH - he was almost always what I would describe as PMSy.

I am weary today. Well, have been for a while. DSS is starting school on Monday - the meds that he started this summer seem to be helping with some of his anger issues, but as he gets closer to school some of the resentment is coming back. Or, we are able to see it more without the angry outbursts, maybe. His therapist is still working with him on his 'bossyness' and on positive responses when other people aren't doing what he wants them to do. I'm afraid for the start of school - probably irrationally so, but still afraid. I'm going to be more involved in the PTSA this year and XW isn't thrilled. I'm the head of two committees for this year and am going to be at the meet and greet tomorrow. When DH told her I was going to be there she stopped responding to his message and hasn't communicated with him since. I don't have time for her drama.

I'm looking at a hard situation at work - a procedural change that I implemented isn't going well and I'm thinking I'm going to have to skulk back, say I was wrong and go back to the old way. I'm afraid it will damage my credibility in the company, but I'm not sure that I can continue with the new system no matter the consequences. The company as a whole is more important than my dislike of admitting I was wrong.

Good day all!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Allison - I saw the article about your vet from your FB, that is just tragic. Did he ever make any kind of statement on what happened?
I have not heard a statement from him, however another patient of his, that I have "met" online, did tell the newspaper today that he and his wife (she is another vet at the practice) are devastated. I don't know if they'll say anything directly to me as a patient or just what. I do know that he did do more surgery on Tuesday, a few days after the arrest.

Quote:
I'm afraid for the start of school - probably irrationally so, but still afraid.
I'm sure most of my worries are irrational as well, but they are still worries and the kind of thing that eats at me during the day and keeps me awake at night.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post

Michele - the gym classes with DD sound fun! Is DH home for a while now, or will he be traveling again when you get back home?

I am weary today. Well, have been for a while. DSS is starting school on Monday -

Good day all!
No, he's already left again and currently flying to Brazil. He will meet younger dd and I in Arizona to move her to college. He took an extra suitcase filled with stuff she's bringing to college like sheets and towels. Since we are flying and not driving, we are going to have to bring everything in suitcases.

Shannon,
I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you too. It's great that you will be involved at dss's school-- involved parents make a huge difference all around.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I'm still kinda whirling around (and next week is going to be re work) but I'm liking a quote I read somewhere (sorry I blame my for no attribution)

Sometimes you can see a big wave coming in life. You can either freeze and let it crash down on you, or you can dive into it and try to swim through it"

The quote is probably not 100% accurate either. But it summarizes the attitude I'm going to try to take for the next few months. I did initially turn to food when I heard from Estonia re my dad. And I will probably resort to food once or twice next week. This lifelong habit is not one I'm going to be able to break and I'm accepting that more now.

But I am perfectly capable of regaining control of myself once the extremely stressful part of my upcoming life is over. I will be totally OP the week before and the week on my vacation. Then we'll see what comes next.

Is it Friday yet?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Dagmar, how well I understand how we resort to food, or want to ,anyway. When I read Allison's post and saw the horrendous day she was having I immediately visuaized a coconut custard pie .......those weren't my problems , yet comfort food came immediately to mind.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #36  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

allison - man, that was a wringer of a week! I hope you get some relief soon. My favorite quote is "Worrying is wishing for something you don't want to have happen." It reminds me to hone in on the things I can control, but there are a lot of cases where thinking something over to develop contingency plans is absolutely worth the effort. And yes, I can relate to the lost sleep. Sad for your vet - what an awful, awful mistake.

bargoo - I'll come clean and admit to thinking about my "big days" comfort of the Taco Bell drivethru - a bean burrito, a soft taco supreme, and a Meximelt, downed with an unsweetened ice tea. Funny, I'm vaguely queasy even thinking about it. Today, it'd probably be handfuls of chips and nuts.

dagmar - I like that quote! Agree, eating for comfort is likely to be with me for a lifetime. All I can do is make sure it's a single choice in a field of better possibilities.

shannon - thanks! I think we've got a pick for the sliding doors. If nothing else, it was nice to see the look of horror on the salesguy's face when he saw the delamination of our Andersens (they also deal with them). Something highly unusual must have been going on in their factory that day. He took a lot of pictures; we'll see if anything comes out of it. Best wishes for getting more involved with the school stuff. We decided, with DS's teacher, to send him back through Algebra 1 again, so I can empathize with some of the drama!

saef, we've tried talking it over for several years, and the end result is now that we have a house that sorta looks like it has a mild case of leprosy. There will be imminent damage if we don't address it ... NOW. And once it's done, it's done, you're right - we will be able to put that brainpower to other uses. Like trying to figure out how to resuscitate the drained savings accounts.

megan, I'm also looking forward to the fall routine, even if it's crazy! It took me a while to get used to the LoseIt app I have on my iPad, but now I love it. There's a function for saving a whole meal as a single item. I like the recipe function too.

michele, is he really taking a suitcase of sheets and towels to Brazil? Are the bag fees less than shipping it? Wow!

Pizza farewell for a coworker today; garage sale weekend (not mine, thank goodness) and a whole week to myself next week while the guys go fishing up in Canada.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
allison - man, that was a wringer of a week! I hope you get some relief soon. My favorite quote is "Worrying is wishing for something you don't want to have happen." It reminds me to hone in on the things I can control, but there are a lot of cases where thinking something over to develop contingency plans is absolutely worth the effort. And yes, I can relate to the lost sleep. Sad for your vet - what an awful, awful mistake.
I love quotes, and that one (who said it?) is eerily similar to one I remember but cannot trace back to who said it: "We weep for that which we will never lose."

My day is off to a bad start. Tracking down kitty puke. Poor Ringo puked last night and again this morning. Last night at least he had the decency to do it on the tile floor. This morning on the Persian rug.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #38  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Good morning! We finally got some much-needed rain here. It stormed all night. Great for the plants, not so great for me sleeping because Carter was terrified and whining and moaning all night long (and I really do mean all night, I think maybe he slept from 1:30-3:00 perhaps?). Eventually around 4:30 I let him come up into our bed and spend the rest of the night (all 1.5 hours of it) in bed with us. He seemed much calmer then, so maybe that will be our thunderstorm routine. I don't really like having him in the bed because he's so big that it's impossible to get comfortable with him in there, and he can't get on and off the bed without help so I'm afraid of him trying to jump off and hurt his back. To get him on the bed last night/this morning, I lifted him up in two stages -- put his front legs on, then scooped him up under his belly to get him the rest of the way. DH lifted him off the bed when he got up.

In other news, I'm afraid I might need to have my thyroid meds adjusted. My weight dropped 4lbs for no apparent reason and I've been feeling jittery in the morning the past couple days. My labs were borderline last time so if this continues I'm going to have to call up and have them reduce my dosages. I'm just afraid that if they cut back, it'll go too far in the other direction. At the moment I'm just going to wait another week or so, because I might have just accidentally taken my pills twice or something and goofed things up.

Last edited by paperclippy; 08-09-2012 at 11:41 AM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #39  

My favorite quote is "Worrying is wishing for something you don't want to have happen."

michele, is he really taking a suitcase of sheets and towels to Brazil? Are the bag fees less than shipping it? Wow!

Love that quote! As a huge worrier, I need to remember this!

And dh travels so much, he doesn't pay bag fees. He can take three bags I think with no charges. He is "global services" so he can go in the special lines, etc. he has used points to make me global services too so I can also take extra bags (only when we fly United). Small perks for him being gone so much. He just texted from Brazil. His plane was 1.5 hours late, he has to go straight to work, there's horrible traffic, and he can't get through on the cell. We may only be able to text while he's there which happens in many countries he travels to.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #40  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Shannon,
I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you too. It's great that you will be involved at dss's school-- involved parents make a huge difference all around.
Involved parents are so important, I know. I was at the school until after 8 last night, then back at 7:20 this morning. Worked the meet and greet until 11 when I had to come to work. I was able to meet DSS's teacher in the morning before it all got started, then spoke to her some more after everyone had left. She added my name and email to the contact list that XW had completed that morning, which left me off completely.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new principal - she has been described as very 'by the book' and I heard people saying that she was going to bring the discipline back. I'm hoping that DSS can keep his behavior in line, because he was definitely cut some slack last year and doesn't look like that will happen this year. Which makes me even more anxious. His new teacher is fantastic though. I like her a lot, and meeting her first thing on day one makes me feel more included than I have in previous years.

*I love that 'worrying is wishing for something you don't want to have happen' quote. As I sit here and worry.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #41  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Jessica, I think your storms are coming are way up here. Which will be great because it's felt so oppressively humid.

After cancelling my doctor appointment three times, yes, three times, I am finally up against a wall and must go see him tomorrow at 2 PM. The receptionist was quite snippy at my last cancellation. The first one was due to the flood, the last two have been due to work overwhelming me and my needing to stay and take care of something. I will be glad to get this appointment over. I just wonder what unpleasant things he's going to say to me. Well, let them be the last unpleasant things that I hear before I find a new doctor.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #42  

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Jessica, I think your storms are coming are way up here. Which will be great because it's felt so oppressively humid.

After cancelling my doctor appointment three times, yes, three times, I am finally up against a wall and must go see him tomorrow at 2 PM. The receptionist was quite snippy at my last cancellation. The first one was due to the flood, the last two have been due to work overwhelming me and my needing to stay and take care of something. I will be glad to get this appointment over. I just wonder what unpleasant things he's going to say to me. Well, let them be the last unpleasant things that I hear before I find a new doctor.
Yes, let them be the last unpleasant thing that you hear!!!!!!! Go find a new, better doctor!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #43  

I know we are trying not to just talk about our pets, but in a crazy moment? I just submitted an application to possibly adopt another dachshund. She's a 4 year old that was hit by a car and just had hip surgery. I'm going to meet her Sunday and if all goes well will arrange a home visit and have her meet our other pets. I blame Allison with her talk of adopting a new dog!
Old 08-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
I know we are trying not to just talk about our pets, but in a crazy moment? I just submitted an application to possibly adopt another dachshund. She's a 4 year old that was hit by a car and just had hip surgery. I'm going to meet her Sunday and if all goes well will arrange a home visit and have her meet our other pets. I blame Allison with her talk of adopting a new dog!
I hope we can talk about everything in this thread Michele - it IS general chat.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #45  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Raaaiiinnn!!! Hooray! I never thought I would be so glad to see 65-degree soggy days in August. It's that glorious, steady, not-too-fast rain that we've needed for months.

Do bees count as pets? DH and DS are heading out for a week of fly-in fishing, leaving Monday. I've been informed that I will need to give the hive a dose of sugar syrup while they're gone - this is a mini-hive called a "nuc" (short for nucleus) that is a backup to the main hive. Since it's weaker, smaller, and started later, the bees need food support. Soooo, I'm going to have to suit up, go out there, remove the top of the hive and pour this stuff in ... all the while tamping down my receding, but still very much present, terror of all things with stingers. Though, after the earwig incident, it can't possibly be worse than that!

saef, I'm sorry you have to deal with an a-ho of a doctor. Hopefully, knowing that today will be the last day you have to see him will give you reason to paste on an obviously fake smile and say "yes, sir" stiffly to every unprofessional and unpleasant comment. And as soon as you have what you need from him, to toss a brusque "You're fired" over your shoulder as you leave.

shannon, can you get a private audience with the principal before school starts? Would it help? Having a great teacher will go a long way - that has to be a huge relief! I'm starting to worry about this year too - I haven't seen much evidence yet that DS is planning to bring his brain and work ethic to the party. He hasn't said much about needing to repeat algebra, but it had to be a blow.

michele, good luck with the potential adoption! Makes sense that with all the travel, your DH would have some perks. I'm glad to hear that there's still some little benefits out there to accomodate the serious road warriors.

allison, one of the other high points to rabbits is that they lack the mechanisms to barf. They are physically incapable of it. I've heard that cats have a built-in radar for getting sick on the nicest rugs in the house, which makes me even less likely to ever own one. They're fun to visit at other people's houses (much like infants).
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote