Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat July 30 - August 5

It's chilly around here - a bit odd for mid July. After our day with 1.6 inches of rain it's stayed cool. You'd think I'd have figured out by now that weather is variable, but I've still got my prejudices. July should be hot - stinking hot!!!

My goal today is to do gym then take a long walk - don't know where yet, but I may make it an errand walk where I stop by the library and by Whole Foods. I stopped doing time on the elliptical because I was getting the same cardio value from walking which was far more entertaining. However, it's also far easier to dawdle while walking when there's always a construction project to supervise, a new fence to inspect, and birds to be noticed. There's little cardio value to shuffling along, LOL.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Good Morning all!

Bill I much prefer getting exercise outside doing things to using a machine in a gym. Enjoy your walk!

It's almost August and I have been coasting re diet. It is exactly 30 days 'til my vacation. 5 lbs. to lose in 30 days is 1 lb. every 6 days. I will do this!

Good week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARGOO!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Happy birthday, Bargoo!

Good morning all! How is almost August already?

My weight has been stable even though I've succumbed to temptation a few times. More than a few times. As long as the scale and pants-o-meter are happy though, it's all good.

Krampus, on your post from last week, I agree with you about the passion vs. money thing. IMO having a roof over your head and food in your stomach is more important than working at a job you love. Very few people have the luxury of being passionate about something that actually pays the bills. I like my job, and it pays me well, so I'm generally lucky in that regard. Still, if I won the lottery or something and didn't need to work any more, I would quit in an instant. I think this is part of the reason that there is a big problem with unemployment among young college grads. A lot of people were told to major in whatever they were passionate about, and they'd be fine. It's not really true -- some majors lead you to far more career opportunities than others. Then a lot of people refuse to take a job doing something else because they feel like they ought to be using their degree in their job.

I dunno, I guess I feel like work is called "work" for a reason. It's better if you do something you enjoy, but it's more important to pay the bills than to do what you love IMO. Spend your evenings and weekends on doing things you love instead.

Last edited by paperclippy; 07-30-2012 at 09:21 AM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Happy Birthday bargoo!!!

It's stinkin' hot here, Bill! 86 degrees at 6 AM with 75% humidity. And here I thought I lived in the desert! It is supposed to be "muggy" for two days but with little chance of showers, and the temps are to be over 105. Yeah, that's hot.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Bargoo, happy birthday! I hope it's turning out to be a slightly-above-average day and that your reflections backward & forward on your life are good ones.

Now, where was I, on the chat thread? Did I tell you that, after a month of unreturned phone calls, of measuring furniture, and of checking up on different prospects, we finally engaged furniture movers? And now it's coming together very, very quickly. They're showing up at my mother's house tomorrow, after stopping at an antique shop in downtown Syracuse to pick up two purchases that the shop had been holding for me, one for nearly a year. They thought this was a pretty light load, only I've told them I want blanket wrapping, in fact, diaper-wrapping and I want the stuff handled with care. Tonight we'll also be packing the minivan, and my car, which has a hatchback and has carried some surprising things over the years.

For some reason, I said I'd work today remotely from my mother's house, which is crazy, as I am completely distracted by the prospect of packing and moving.

I feel anxious, and then hopeful, thinking that there'll be a time when I can spend free time going to the movies or doing something in the city. That time is not yet, but it is coming.

Last edited by saef; 07-30-2012 at 09:48 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Happy Birthday bargoo!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #8  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Happy birthday Bargoo!

Not going to catch up on the previous weekly thread(s), so I'm just going to do my usual "hello, long time no seen, how have you all been, etc".

Jessica - Re: work, I've had a similar discussion not long ago with other people on a French friend's blog. I'm not going to sum up here because it was just pretty long, but we did tackle subjects such as working in the field you majored in, refusal to work in any other field, are we allowed to complain about being unemployed in the latter case, etc. The conclusion was: "well, it's not so easy." And I agree that paying the bills comes first and foremost—nowadays we can't be picky anymore. Besides, the fields we majored in aren't even necessarily the ones we'd be happy working in. I.e. I thought I'd be happy in graphic-design, but was just the contrary: it turned one of my passions into a chore, just because I had to do it as a job and not for my own pleasure, and so I gave up after a few years. (And now I enjoy drawing again, haha.)
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Happy Birthday Bargoo!!

It's been pretty chilly here too but supposed to be quite warm today.

Have you all been watching the Olympics!?!? I have! I stayed up too late watching the USA women's gymnastics. Here on the West Coast the coverage starts so late! My dd is there and she has been to Women's Tennis (watched Serena), soccer, volleyball, and more! I am so happy for her but a little green with envy.

My "procedure" is Wednesday (colonoscopy and endoscopy) so tomorrow is my "prep" day-- no solid foods, etc. I'm hoping I can ahem....clean out... and maybe lose a pound or two as I'm perpetually backed up. Wednesday is also my 25th wedding anniversary and I'm planning some surprises for dh-- I hope he likes them!

Hi to everyone!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Thank you all for the birthday greetings.
I got ny birthday gift when I stepped on the scale this morning. Down 1.6 pounds. That music you hear in the background is The Hallelujah Chorus form Handel's Messiah..
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

WTG on the loss, bargoo!!

Michele~I made DH record the last half of the Olympics last night because I want to watch the gymnastics but it was getting so late! I told him that I really wanted to watch it and I didn't care if I already knew outcomes. And at least this way we can skip all the ads (and there seems to be way more than normal).

Kery~I get what you mean about starting to hate something because it has become a chore rather than your passion. My mom always thought I should go into catering but no, I know I'd hate that--having to cook all the time! I LOVE to cook! But there are some days that I'd rather not be bothered, and if it were my job it'd be even worse!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Kery, Jessica, Krampus - on the working in something you are passionate in v. something you can make money in... i work in HR in the food service industry and I can't tell you how many times I've had people come in for manager interviews from recruiting services and tell me "I just can't work in a restaurant, it isn't what I went to school to do" or some variation. A lot of these people were unemployed at the time they interviewed with me. I've been looked down on a lot for my job, particularly when I was an in-restaurant manager and trainer and smelled like grease every day when I came home. A lot of my college friends were pretty down on me over it. Well, I majored in French with a minor in psychology. I came out equipped to do absolutely nothing. I was lucky to get a restaurant job that paid my bills at the time. And after 18 years in restaurants I've moved up the chain and gone to grad school and now I do HR for restaurants and have an office and wear business clothes and don't come home stinky. But I had to do that to get here, and I had to eat and pay my bills and all those things. So restaurants treated me fine. I do see a lot more kids today with the idea that they should major in whatever they want, and the unemployment rate in new grads is high. Part of that is from the unemployment situation, (a company can hire a displaced person with more experience easier than a new grad they have to train right not) but part of it is that they are waiting for the right job to come along. Well - sometimes it doesn't look like what you expect. LOL

Bargoo - happy birthday! Congrats on the low today, that is awesome!

Saef - I'm glad that your movers are coming tomorrow. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Michele - I'm pretty much always backed up in that department as well, hope the cleanse helps. And that the tests go well.

Bill - send some chilly weather my way, please!

Dagmar - 30 days til vacay, you can do it.

I had a pretty terrible week last week. I exercised once and ate whatever I wanted pretty much every day. I have to get this week back under control. In a lot of places.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It is interesting to see the attitude of newer employees these day, just let them be asked to do something that isn't in their job description. Wow ! What a ruckus they can raise.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #14  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Just popping in to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY, bargoo!!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #15  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Alison - Indeed! Actually, that's precisely the kind of job that might *kill* one's passion for cooking, because from what I heard (my mother used to work in a restaurant), it's not so much about the pleasure of cooking, but about getting the meals ready on time etc. "Cooking in my own kitchen, at my own rhythm" and "cooking for customers" is IMHo not the same thing at all.

On a sidenote: I'm drunk tonight. Happens 4 times a year. To be marked with a white stone on the calendar.

On another sidenote: gradually falling in love with your 100% gay male friend is clearly. not. a good idea. Must kill those feelings. Like, quickly. :|
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote