Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #61  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Yesterday, after going to the gym, and talking a walk afterward, I got a call from one of my longtime best friends. Just hearing her voice made me happy. We go way, way back: I met her in a summer swimming class when we were both just going into the sixth grade. Her mother and my father had known each other at Carrier Corp., working in adjacent departments. Her mother was a famous practical joker. Our parents were very pleased run into each other and even happier after we became friends. (Writing this makes me reflect how her mother died of heart failure and my father died of cancer, both unexpectedly, and both deaths traumatic for our respective families.) My friend & I became close in the way of friends in the same grade at school growing up in the same small town.

Anyway, she came back to our little old hometown for her father's birthday, along with her sister, a fashion designer in NY whom I see infrequently but also love spending time with, and I went over to hang out with them. I was getting ravenous, since I'm used to the small frequent meal pattern, and they don't eat like that -- they go hours & hours without food, though with liquor helping them along, then eat big meals late at night that last forever. Of course, they suggested going out to dinner. ("Oh no," I thought. "That means not eating till 10 PM." And that was what happened.) When they dine out, they really eat. I mean, the drinks keep coming to the table, there are multiple shared appetizers, there's the most elaborate entree on the menu, there's dessert. In short, the way I used to eat, years ago. I realized how borderline eating disorder-ish I've remained, because the prospect of dining out with them during one of their splurges gave me pause.

But I love them and I want to stay in their company as long as possible.

To get through this, I kept reminding myself what we tell each other on these boards: One dinner out won't do in all your good work. It's just a blip. It's consistency and returning to your good habits that works. So I made myself say yes.

I had mussels in garlic sauce, seared ahi tuna and steamed veggies with unsweetened iced tea. Which sounds healthy until you realize that the pervasive taste was butter. Melted butter coated everything. A thick pool of melted butter created a lagoon at the bottom of the plate. I imagined the huge blocks of butter this kitchen must go through. More butter than the annual New York State Fair butter sculpture.

Now, I'm not frightened of butter -- sometimes you really need a pat of it to cook with -- but wow.

Just, wow.

Miraculously, when I stood on the scale this morning, I hadn't gained. Okay, so maybe I dodged that bullet.

But I am sore & limping. Because running over 4 miles on Friday, going for an hour on the Stairmaster yesterday, and then taking an hour walk birding later the same morning has left me stiff and sore. (This wasn't deliberately done -- "I will have the most physically strenuous weekend possible" -- I just didn't think. The weather's fine & I want to be out in it, running and walking.) My quads are sore and I've got cramps in my calves. I could really use a leg massage. At the gym today, I'll be using the foam rollers. I may also try out a rolling pin on my quads, as a masseuse recommended to me the other day.

The gym may be quiet on Mother's Day morning ... I hope so, as I am getting a very late start this morning due to my dinner out last night. We'll see ....

Happy mother's day to you all.

Last edited by saef; 05-13-2012 at 07:59 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #62  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Happy Mother's Day to those with sons, daughters, and furbabies - one and all.

saef - I adore "mussels in garlic sauce" because there are so few calories in mussels or garlic. I only find them on the menu when I'm at a pricier place when my brain tends to forget that the heavenly taste glistening from the pot is from butter. Which, when measured in cups, doesn't have few calories. Sounds like a good meal.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am going out to lunch today, I will be looking for mussels on the menu.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #64  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I am going out to lunch today, I will be looking for mussels on the menu.
I hope you find them on the menu BARGOO, I have lost them on my arms...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all

on days like this I think of mine often....
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Happy Mother's Day!

I don't know that I've ever had mussels. But seafood is generally the way to go for fewer calories. Shrimp and scallops and white fish, oh my!

We're going out to dinner tonight to celebrate Mother's Day. That way I don't have to cook! Even though I really like to cook, but sometimes, like today, I just don't have the inspiration to figure out what to fix, so we're going to a cute little Italian place instead. And I'm not having fish. Cheese manicotti is my favorite--but only if they make it with crepes instead of a pasta shell. This place does it right.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I realized that I have had no mom (or kids) to celebrate this day with for 20 years now. Overall it was a huge relief when my mom died - too long to explain but alcohol abuse was a major factor.

I do find that I don't tend to go into restaurants or other places where people gather on Mother's Day (not that I took my mom out - see above) just because I feel kinda awkward being alone.

I am going to treat myself to an ice cream later on but it will be during a walk. DH is working today (as was I earlier) so I can indulge without taking him along and feeling guilty about plying him with ice cream

Good Sunday all those who are moms, have moms, etc. And those without too!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 180/159/169

Height: 5'6.5''

Went to see the Avengers with my son back from college for Mothers Day.Lots of fun for nerds like us.What a lovely day in the Texas Hill Country. And even better, Rosie the Tripawd has turned a corner for the better 2 weeks after amputation.She's almost back to her old self,boy I missed that doggie smile.
Thanks to all for best wishes and support.
singing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

My dd's graduation was today. Today marked the end of several days of overeating at restaurants like Saef described. I'm dreading the scale when I return. I fly back with younger dd tomorrow while older dd (the magna cum laude graduate!) and dh drive back with her cat. She'll be with us for 10 days.

I had a weird experience last night which may have been food poisoning ? And was definitely scary! I went to bed at 10:30 feeling fine, but woke up at 11:30 with extreme stomach cramping, nausea, and dripping sweat. I went to the restroom but nothing happened. I came out and promptly passed out on the floor! I felt horrible. The sweat was pouring off in buckets. I tried to wake dh but couldn't. I started feeling a little better and crawled back in bed. When I got up this morning I was a little shaky, and my tummy kinda queasy, but otherwise ok! Today my back ached, and I felt odd but ok. Could that have been mild food poisoning? I ate crab and fish last night but no one else got ill. Hoping I feel 100 percent tomorrow!

Last edited by traveling michele; 05-13-2012 at 11:18 PM.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by singing View Post
Went to see the Avengers with my son back from college for Mothers Day.Lots of fun for nerds like us.What a lovely day in the Texas Hill Country. And even better, Rosie the Tripawd has turned a corner for the better 2 weeks after amputation.She's almost back to her old self,boy I missed that doggie smile.
Thanks to all for best wishes and support.

We went to the Avengers as well. What a fun movie.

And Chico is almost 2 weeks post amputation and he fetched a tennis ball a few times yesterday. It was really nice seeing his enthusiasm again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
My dd's graduation was today. Today marked the end of several days of overeating at restaurants like Saef described. I'm dreading the scale when I return. I fly back with younger dd tomorrow while older dd (the magna cum laude graduate!) and dh drive back with her cat. She'll be with us for 10 days.

I had a weird experience last night which may have been food poisoning ? And was definitely scary! I went to bed at 10:30 feeling fine, but woke up at 11:30 with extreme stomach cramping, nausea, and dripping sweat. I went to the restroom but nothing happened. I came out and promptly passed out on the floor! I felt horrible. The sweat was pouring off in buckets. I tried to wake dh but couldn't. I started feeling a little better and crawled back in bed. When I got up this morning I was a little shaky, and my tummy kinda queasy, but otherwise ok! Today my back ached, and I felt odd but ok. Could that have been mild food poisoning? I ate crab and fish last night but no one else got ill. Hoping I feel 100 percent tomorrow!
Congrats to your DD on her graduation.

I can't begin to think what you may have had. Poisoning? Bad reaction to something? Strange. Glad you're feeling better.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote