Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #61  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
The thread has taken an interesting turn!
I'm still 15 posts back, trying to figure out the second missing letter in Saef's post about p**ssy willows. A "p" would be appropriate for the thread, as would the number 2, but neither of those work for me ...

We need t-shirts: "maintainers have more fun."

//b. strong,

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
I'm still 15 posts back, trying to figure out the second missing letter in Saef's post about p**ssy willows. A "p" would be appropriate for the thread, as would the number 2, but neither of those work for me ...

We need t-shirts: "maintainers have more fun."

//b. strong,

Kim
That would be a "u"

I agree on the tshirts!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

"Maintainers have more fun (and food)"

Yes I am queen of the parentheses.

I too am hankering for lilacs, forsythia, p*ssy (I can't believe we can't say that word here) willows, and pumpkin pie. Oops, one of these items doesn't belong . . .

So we got "espresso shots boy" aka Mishka the nuclear cat some meds to try to slow him down a bit before the second does of radioiodine. I get to clean up two sets of barf (a new bodily fluid for the thread) every day right now. And Mish is walking around downstairs at night screaming. Pets - what fun!

His thyroid didn't respond properly to the first treatment so we have to haul him back there for another 10 days and then another 30 of "house arrest". I don't think most of us would like to be as skinny as his out of control thyroid is making him. Although I would like to be able to eat like a pig and not gain an ounce!

Guess I'll put dinner in the oven, now that I've whetted my appetite with this post

Great evening all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #64  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
I'm still 15 posts back, trying to figure out the second missing letter in Saef's post about p**ssy willows.
Oh, easy. My math skills are abysmal. My outrage over seeing the phrase "kitty willow" in my post after it posted when that WASN'T what I'd written led me to miscount the ******.

I want you all to know that I have completely rethought the whole "maybe I should get a pet" thing.

I'm going to keep my distance & just read about them, and maybe pet them in the park when they come bounding up to me & start bumping against my legs & lashing me with their big wagging tails.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Exclamation small rant

So there IS a censor here. Was wondering about that.

"kitty willow" - but kinda sad too. I'm not suggesting we all pepper our posts with sh*t, f*ck or c*nt (that would get very boring very quickly) but "kitty willow"? C'mon!

There is a place for the occasional 4-letter word in our language and we all use them; me mainly for emphasis and to get someone's attention.

TGIF!

Dagmar (-35 C with wind chill)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #66  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Apparently the purpose of the V-Bulletin built-in word censor is to teach me to spell shiitake mushrooms. Without the second 'i' it comes out ****ake mushrooms, LOL.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #67  
Chuggin' along...

You all are cracking me up, thanks.

Jessica, I'm SO glad to hear such a positive Carter update! I'm hoping the trend continues.

Emma's poop situation seems to have resolved itself. I think next time I'll try the pumpkin in the 1-2 T dose, and then try rice if needed. She is definitely a food grubber. I have a neighbor who has lots of big cookouts at his house, and unfortunately thinks it's fine to dump the bones (mostly pork) in the bushes. I don't get it, he's got a trash can right there - and a dog! I thought maybe she'd gotten into fresh bones after his Superbowl party, despite my best efforts to keep her away from them, and that's what caused her upset. I do plan to change her food but she's currently eating the food her previous owner provided, and when I do I will transition her slowly.

Well Saef, if it influences you at all on the pet issue, after only 3 weeks I can't believe how long it took me to get a dog. Emma is already a loving, loyal companion, and makes me smile all the time. And she's had a few accidents but I think I mostly skipped her housebreaking stage, whew. But if you're unsure, could you spend some time at a local shelter or with a friend's animal to see if it sways you one way or another? Hypothetically they stop the peeing and pooping once they're housebroken, except perhaps when really ill. The throw-up may be occasional, but not an everyday thing.

Oooh, Dagmar, fun times. I hope the new meds help Mishka.

Sign me up for a t-shirt!

BF's family is having yet another crisis (they have many as several of them have precarious mental states - and I'm not just saying that to be funny). He left this morning to try and help. He was so stressed out last night, he kept breathing really deeply, and then would sit on the floor and commune with Emma. He'll be gone for a few days at least, but I'm just hoping he doesn't come home too stressed out.

Back to work... tighten 1 2 3 4 5... oh sorry I got distracted.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #68  

And now we're all "cussing?"

I have a very busy day ahead. First, DH and I are going to the local community college for a golf expo this morning. Reps from several companies will be there so we can try our hand with their clubs on the driving range. It's put on yearly by one of the local golf shops.

Later we'll do our usual Friday out to lunch. We normally go to a place called Charlie's California Fresh. Charlie is a health nut so everything is made low fat (they don't buy full fat versions of anything) and use a lot of whole grains--even the pasta is ww.

At 4:30 we're going to a retirement party for my old boss. He doesn't want to retire, but he's got brain cancer and his doctor won't give him the go-ahead to go back to work for at least a year so he knows the company won't hold his job that long. (BTW his cancer is benign.)

At 6:30 we're going next door to my neighbor's 50th birthday party. Her three sisters are here from Italy. We went over last night to deliver a table they needed to borrow and we met them. It'll be interesting as none of them speak English too well (and if you remember, I never did learn much Italian).

Busy, busy, busy. Too bad we won't be golfing this weekend. Our course has a two day tournament so no one else can golf and we didn't want in on the tournament. The weather here will be in the mid 70's. Next weekend, however, we'll take advantage of the extra day off and golf two days. Perhaps DH and I will both have new clubs (only he needs them, mine are still okay--old, but okay).
Old 02-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #69  

Megan~we posted at the same time. Be VERY careful of cooked bones! They can splinter and if digested can puncture the stomach or intestines. Raw bones, however, are fine for dogs. In fact I know a lot of people who feed their pets a total raw diet and the animals will eat the bones. Yuck, but I guess that's what they do in the wild.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #70  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

"Kitty willow"

More good news! Carter peed! DH was saying, "I never thought I'd be so happy to hear that a dog peed." He peed out the catheter overnight and this morning they took him outside and a gentle squeeze encouraged him to start peeing, and he was able to pee on his own. DH and I actually went in to work today (first time in two weeks) but we are leaving early to go pick him up. I am so glad that his bladder is working again. The vet who has been taking care of him is absolutely the best. He gave me his cell phone number in case we have problems over the weekend and he emailed me videos of Carter so I could see how he was doing. He has been very compassionate and honest with us throughout this process.

So our plan right now is to pick up a doggie play pen on our way home so we can keep Carter from moving too much during his recovery, then go to the vet to get our fur baby.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #71  
Workin' It

Hehe - I wondered about the kitty willow. I understand the editing of some things, absolutely, but a proper name is crazy.

Kim - sign me up for a tshirt!

Dagmar - woo hoo, one more excrement for the thread. Hope Mishka does well with the next round of treatment.

Saef - I can see the beauty of enjoying pets at a distance.

Bill - I seldom ever spell shiitake correctly.

Megan - glad that Emma's poop fixed itself! And hope BF does well this weekend.

Allison - enjoy your weekend! Busy! New golf clubs for you and DH sounds like a win-win to me.

I've got chili in the crockpot for dinner tonight, I exercised after DH & DSS left for school, made midwife's salsa & chicken in the crockpot last night, I'm feeling pretty good today.

Midwife - the salsa chicken was fantastic! I added some diced tomato & sliced onion, cooked it all day. It ended up more like a stew because the chicken fell apart, but it was fabulous!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #72  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
:Carter peed! DH was saying, "I never thought I'd be so happy to hear that a dog peed."

Me neither!
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #73  
Workin' It

Jessica - posted at the same time as you. I'm so glad to hear the news about Carter! Yay!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #74  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Megan~we posted at the same time. Be VERY careful of cooked bones! They can splinter and if digested can puncture the stomach or intestines. Raw bones, however, are fine for dogs. In fact I know a lot of people who feed their pets a total raw diet and the animals will eat the bones. Yuck, but I guess that's what they do in the wild.
Yah, that's why I'm a bit annoyed with my neighbor! The bones in his yard are mostly pork bones, I think, and I've heard so many firsthand stories of people whose dogs have had horrible reactions to pork products. Sunday night Emma slipped out the door when it was open thiswide for two seconds, ran down the street, and came back with two bones proudly displayed in her jaws. We managed to catch her and take them away before she seemed to get to eat or chew much. Grumble at neighbor for having the bones lying around, grumble at ourselves and redouble efforts to train Emma to come when we call her! (She will come if we're the most interesting things around, but throw a bone or a dog she wants to visit in the mix, all bets are off.)

I remember my Mom buying little discs of bone with marrow in the middle for our first dog. I think they were longer bones cut cross-wise. I dunno if they were raw?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Megan-- talk to your neighbor ASAP about the bones! Any bones are bad but pork is particularly dangerous! Dogs get pancreatitis very easily from consuming pork. I have seen many dogs die from eating pork.

Jessica-- so happy that Carter peed! It is amazing the things that make us happy as pet owners or parents! Please keep us posted on his recovery.

Allison-- you do have tons planned. Hope it is all wonderful.

How many of you exercise before work? I did this morning and I never do. I got up at 4:15 and was at the gym at 4:30 and back home by 5:20. I did it because I won't be able to go after work today and I've already missed several workouts this week due to my schedule. I am exhausted though and ready to go back to bed!

Tonight is dd's 16th birthday party (that she is sharing with her now ex-boyfriend that is turning 18 today). A mutual friend (that I've never met) is hosting it because she has a large house. I feel a little strange about someone else's parents hosting so I'm going over early and will have to stay late to clean up. We are expecting approx 30 kids and the party is over at 11 so I'm in for a long day (hence no time for the gym after work).

Dh is off to London tomorrow so dd and I will be alone this weekend (and Valentine's). I hope the gym still has its normal classes on Monday (boot camp). It will probably be pretty empty though.

TGIF and Happy weekend to everyone else!

Last edited by traveling michele; 02-12-2011 at 11:04 AM.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote