Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #16  
Workin' It

Good morning everyone. Welcome to all the new folks!

Dagmar - glad you enjoyed the show last night, even with the fireworks.

Jessica - I didn't get new shoes right before my half marathon either, and I really needed them.

Michele - high five on the portfolio! And sorry about the tailbone. Ouch.

Allison - the golf cart parade sounds cute! And I have also read all the Sookie Stackhouse books. I like the earlier more than the later ones, but they are all fun.

Bill - Cookie Monster's birthday, huh? Fabulous.

Cherbear - I sneak food sometimes, too. I have to be careful.

Megan - yay for organic CSA! I just learned that one delivers to my area now, too. Cool!

High five to everyone who made it through Halloween without the candy. I can't say that I made it clean, but I can say that I had no more than 10 mini pieces from Thursday to this morning, when I took a laffy taffy after voting. And now I'm done.

I didn't exercise when I got home yesterday. Instead I fell asleep on the bed and slept for three hours. Hope today is better.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Welcome to all the new maintainers!!!!!

I didn't fare as well with the Halloween candy, but I'm not going to hit myself for it. I don't know what happened last night, but my weight was up this morning. Perhaps salt. I hope it'll be back down tomorrow. I'm still way above red line, but working slowly on getting back down.

As for the Sookie Stackhouse books, yeah, it was a fun read, but perhaps because I've seen the show, it was like a rerun to me. I'm not sure if I'll pursue the rest of them or not. I'm really enjoying Ken Follett's new book, even if I'm only 2 chapters in.

I decided not to attempt a garden this year. Last year the darn dogs ate all the tomatoes and that's about all I really have room for anyway. But, they've got a farmer's market on Wednesdays and I think I'll stop by there tomorrow on the way into work to see what it's all about. They only do it certain months of the year (too hot in the summer). I know there are some road-side stand in the east valley where all the farms are, but I don't usually feel the need to drive that far.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #18  
Workin' It

Allison - the books do have a lot of the same story lines, but there are some pretty big differences that you won't hit until later on. The series has brought a lot of plot lines early that didn't show up until later on. You might like the Anita Blake books if you like those, Laurell K. Hamilton is the author. The later books lean more to, erm, graphic activities and less to story, but the early ones are a pretty nice blend.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 11-02-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

I love fantasy romance (I'm such a candy reader, no hard stuff for me!) and my favorite right now is Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series. So fun!! Her latest book in the series should come out this Feb and I'm so excited!!
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Welcome cherbear, I'm not a true maintainer like you (146lbs left to lose) but I've lost and maintained a 30lbs loss and I've been welcome with open arms.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Happy Birthday Cookie Monster!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:07 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Welcome new maintainers!

My tailbone is still sore but I'm proud that I went to the gym yesterday and today anyway. The "old" me would have used it as an excuse not to exercise. I was careful and modified my workouts. I've been icing and taking anti-inflammatory meds and it is already somewhat better.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #23  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default More about Flat Stanley (from last month's thread)

Caution: mention of food material.

A brief follow-up on Flat Stanley (mentioned a few days ago). It was written by Jeff Brown and published in 1964.

During the night, an enormous bulletin board (given to him and his brother a Christmas ago) fell on Stanley Lambchop. Mrs Lambchop took him to the doctor to find he was four feet tall, about a foot wide, and half an inch thick. After a number of adventures, Stanley’s brother Arthur inflated him again with an old bicycle pump. Stanley went on to have more hilarious adventures in other books.

My sister was four when this book was published in Britain in 1968 and loved it and all the others. As does my DB who was born in 2000.

I presume the programme Megan mentioned spun off from the books. Great idea and a lot of fun.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

Michele, I injured my tail bone 2 years ago sitting on a hard floor "helping" DH put in a new floor. It still gives me trouble! Just be careful and if it starts to hurt, move! I think that's why mine took so long to heal. Plus it was in my former life when I sat on the couch a lot...
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #25  

My weight continues to give me problems. I know I've commiserated about this before. I think I may have to do something a bit more drastic as nothing I've done in the past seems to be working for me these days.

With that, I'm off to the farmer's market this morning to see what local produce I can get. I'm sure most of it will be fruit and I'd rather find more vegetables. We'll see.

ETA: Returned from the farmer's market with a loaf of bread to go with our 13 bean soup tonight. Quite disappointing...of the 15 or so booths, 1 had fruit, 1 had vegetables, 2 had a mixture (and none had a huge selection). The remaining sold bread, olive oil, avocado oil, flowers, herb plants, and orchid plants. The electric company had a booth and there was a guy playing guitar. The street fair held every Saturday and Sunday have two or three times the number of fruit and vegetable sellers and they always have a great selection. I guess I'll do that this weekend.

Last edited by alinnell; 11-03-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #26  

I had a kinda weird thing happen last night that I'm trying to figure out today. Last night before I went to bed I noticed that my stomach looked like I was 5-6 months pregnant. I got on the scale and I was 132-- I haven't weighed over 130 in years. I noticed a small amount of rectal bleeding (not uncommon for me) but my hypochondriac self immediately thought-- I've got internal bleeding from hitting my tailbone! Then I calmed down and thought-- but I feel fine otherwise! So, I went to bed. I got up twice during the night to pee (I had gone to the gym in the evening-- had water and coffee-- again not unusual though). This morning when I got on the scale I was 126 and my tummy had gone down! I'm guessing it was just water? But 6 pounds overnight?!?!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #27  

Michele~one reason why I only weigh once a day.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I think a lot of the home scales are not that accurate when it's a matter of 1 or 2 lbs. I did an experiment for 3 consecutive mornings about 3 months ago to test this.

I got on the scale first thing (post pee of course), then drank something, and weighed again. On day one it was 500 ml of water, day 2 a 10 oz. cup of tea, day 3 755 ml of Diet Pepsi (Canada - home of the not quite metric ). My weight fluctuated between 1 and 4 (!) lbs. heavier after the drink.

I weight 3x per week and that's it. Too much drama for me otherwise.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #29  

Dagmar and Allison-- I agree with you about the weighing but my scale is exceptionally accurate. I know it wasn't the scale as my stomach was huge! I'm just not quite sure what I was retaining or why but hopefully it has gone now!

The other thing I'm trying to do is cut back on the grapes. I have been eating a ton of grapes the past few weeks. I felt like it was a good substitution for sweet stuff but I know they pack a lot of sugar so I'm limiting myself to a reasonable serving at breakfast only.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #30  
Working My Way Back Down

Michele - many anti-inflammatories cause you to retain water....

Not much going on around here. I went to a yoga class at my gym yesterday. It was okay, not as good as at the studio where my DH goes, but okay enough that I'll like go again. I liked that she did a good amount of balance work and stretching.

It's cold and windy here, and I'm disinclined to go out again today, though I have a class this evening which I don't want to miss. Sigh.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote