Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #1  
Artsy Fartsy Girl

S/C/G: 268/226/185

Height: 5'6"

Default Does your appetite shrink with your body?

Just curious to hear the perspective of long-time winners at this game.

I've lost 30 lbs so far, and while I can't imagine pounding down the daily average of 2600+ calories that I think I used to eat, my appetite hasn't shrunk that much.

I do get fuller faster, and just recently, I'm willingly, happily, choosing smaller portion sizes, because more just sounds gross/too filling. But it's a small margin.

I'm curious, if I keep going and I'm down say another 30 lbs., will it continue to come more naturally, this smaller portions and getting full quicker?

Or do you find yourself with a lifetime capacity for overeating that you have to watch closely?

I guess I'm wondering if there's such a thing ever as trusting myself...
dolphinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Dolphin! Congrats on the 30lbs!

This is yet another one of those things that varies from person to person. For myself, in general, I find that if I eat less for a long time, my stomach seems to shrink, so that I feel fuller faster. On the other hand, if I overeat for several days/weeks in a row, my stomach expands and I am hungrier, whether or not my weight has actually changed. I think in general people's stomachs size themselves to the food they're receiving on a regular basis. But if you always eat the same amount, even if you're losing weight, once your stomach is adjusted to that volume of food coming in it will probably not really change.

That's my two cents, anyway. Like I said, I would bet that this is different for different people.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I'm not sure if my appetite shrinks, but my stomach seems to, like paperclippy said. Even a few days at a lower calorie intake (say I eat 200 under my usual for three days while I'm sick) makes it so that I get fuller faster. I'm still hungry at the same times and need the same amount of food, per say, but I seem to fill up faster. However, this goes away once I'm back to normal eating.

I think that our bodies (or at least mine) get used to less food and then in turn send out less signals or fill up faster. I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, but I hope it helps a little. Great job so far and good luck on the rest of your journey!!!
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Great job losing the 30 lbs.!

I had less than 20 lbs. to lose and stalled out on the way to goal. I work in a very physical job so I'm basically always a little hungry during the day. If I eat a bit more/less I'm still hungry.

The difference I do find is that, if I binge eat, I feel like absolute cr*p for the next few days. The binge eating is what's keeping me from reaching goal so I'm hoping that eventually my brain will permanently say no to it and I will finally reach my goal weight.

For me it's a constant challenge to stay within a calorie range that will enable me to maintain my current weight. I think I'll always have to be aware of what I'm eating and stop myself before I eat too much of it! Maybe this will change when I retire?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I think I probably have a "lifetime capacity to overeat." And, I think if I just go along with my "natural" urges, I will slowly regain.

One must think, "How did I become obese to begin with?" It wasn't magic... and I'm not a binge eater... It was just a little bit more than I should have been eating, over and over again, for a long time.

Oh yes, I can regain. But hopefully, I can use new eating habits to take the place of those "natural" urges that put the weight on. I have a choice about that!

I'm not sure trust fits into this...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #6  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

I'd have to agree with Jay. I definitely have a capacity to overeat for the resto of my life. It's part of who I am. To maintain, I have to keep that in the forefront of my mind so that I don't munch all the pounds back. A little here and there add up so quickly. With that in mind, I made a vow when I egan my journey that I'd log my food the rest of my life. I'd lost then regained the weight enough times to know, for me, that I will regain if I don't treat the rest of my life like the losing process. So I log everything.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #7  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinea View Post
Just curious to hear the
perspective of long-time winners at this game.
I've lost 30 lbs so far, and......my appetite hasn't shrunk that much.
I'm curious, .....will it continue to come more naturally, this smaller portions and getting full quicker?
Or do you find yourself with a lifetime capacity for overeating that you have to watch closely?
Lifetime Capacity for Overeating
Must Always Watch Closely.

Quote:
I guess I'm wondering if there's such a thing ever as trusting myself...
Probably Not.

Last edited by Bright Angel; 04-30-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

I wish I had tracked what I ate in a typical day "before", I only started with the calorie counting. And then I was astonished to see how many calories of cheese, bread, rich sauces etc. I wanted because I was used to having them.

Although I now feel less hungry than when I started, I think it's mostly a function of the different foods I eat now, and eating more filling but low-calorie things. I'm realizing that now especially as I am trying to add a few calories a day going to maintenance. As I start adding like simple carbs that I had almost completely cut out before because of their high calorie values (especially bread or pastries) I notice they make me "hungrier" afterwards.

Like the others said, I'm pretty sure I have a lifetime capability of overeating. Put me in front of a nice buffet or next to a bowl of chips at a party and I would be pretty much unstoppable, if I didn't *consciously* stop myself.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Yes, and no. Appetite is affected by many variables. In terms of getting full on less food, that's mostly (in my experience) a result of your stomach shrinking. If you eat less food (volume) you will shrink your stomach. You can prevent it from shrinking (if you continue to eat the same volume of food only lower calorie choices) and you can stretch or restretch your stomach also by eating a larger volume of food than you're used to.

I've lost significant amounts of weight in the past, and I always have experienced the stomach shrinking. The "brain" part of appetite was harder to control. I still wanted large volumes of food, and I still overate when not paying attention (sometimes eating until my stomach hurt and I felt ill).

For me, it's always a conscious effort to pay attention to my comfort level. I don't allow myself to feel "full" in the sense that I once did (slightly uncomfortable was the norm before, and often very-uncomfortable).

It's been a very long time since I've felt physically uncomfortable after eating. On holidays I sometimes get close, but I haven't gotten sick from overeating in many years. But, I do know that I could "fall back" into that kind of eating very easily. My "default" or "auto-pilot" mode is overeating, and it may always be.

I have been able to shrink my stomach by eating very small amounts throughout the day. I can still get in enough calories to maintain or even gain weight, but it does prevent me from eating the huge binges I once did.

On a buffet, I used to eat two to three piled-high plates before I started to feel uncomfortably full. Now I'm satisfied with a reasonable amount of food, even on a buffet (I learned a tip from a woman's magazine and "pretend" that I'm a picky eater and hate having my foods touch. So I give everything on my plate about a one inch margin from any other food).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
One must think, "How did I become obese to begin with?" It wasn't magic... and I'm not a binge eater... It was just a little bit more than I should have been eating, over and over again, for a long time.
Jay
Exactly true for me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
With that in mind, I made a vow when I egan my journey that I'd log my food the rest of my life. I'd lost then regained the weight enough times to know, for me, that I will regain if I don't treat the rest of my life like the losing process. So I log everything.
Marie
I agree with this as well.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

My stomach's capacity has shrunk beyond belief. I used to be able to eat enormous quantities before I got full. And even with that, I often ate till I was in discomfort.

Now, I get full fairly quickly with no where near as much food. I mean not even close. I couldn't eat as much as I used to back in the day even if I wanted to. Again, not even close.

But I will ALWAYs have to be aware and mindful of me overeating/overspending calories. ALWAYS. I am wired differently than others and simply can not rely/count on me just winging it. Nu-uh. But I finally realized that it was worthy of the awareness, mindfulness and all thought put to it. I mean I will ALWAYS be mindful and careful with my family, my money, my job, etc...

Congrats on the 30 lbs lost so far. I think you will be amazed how your stomach capacity will lessen as you get closer to goal (and way before as well). I think you will be amazed how your tastes will change. How your desires and wants will change. You are your food choices will evolve. So will your strategies and your thoughts about food in general. Enjoy this journey. It is a learning and growth experience beyond what you can possibly fathom right now. Stick to it and be prepared to amaze yourself.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

My appetite has not shrunk one bit. Never expect it to.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #13  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Funny thing with me is I'd say my stomach can hold MORE now that there is not so much fat surrounding it. I never could eat large amounts at one time when I was at 333...so I drank a lot of my calories and grazed all day. NOW, it seems my stomach had room to expand and on the few occasions I have fallen of the wagon, I've taken down the cart of nuts/chocolate it was hauling. YIKES!

Another thing to also remember is calories vs. quanity. Say your stomach has "shrunk", and it can only hold 2 cups of volume at one time. Well, 2 cups of strawberries has a heck of a lot less calories that 2 cups of peanut butter. KWIM?
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I do think mine has shrunk a bit but not enough to make a big difference. I have to make the decision to not eat as much as I used to.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Here are some interesting stomach facts from WebMD:

http://women.webmd.com/pharmacist-dr...omach-problems

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote