Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #61  
Working My Way Back Down

I actually like the unisex t-shirts (provided I don't end up with a too large one) because I am very long-waisted and most women's cut t-shirts are too short for comfort, i.e. exposing my mid-section when I raise my arms. Our City just ordered shirts/blouses from Lands End for all the directors/deputies. These look really nice (haven't come yet) so I hope they fit well too. Don't much like the color (blue) but that wasn't a option!

I'm so glad it's Friday. I'm in a blah mood and would much rather be home. Plus it's snowing in Anchorage already (not here yet though) so I may not go tonight.

DH is coming home TUesday morning, so I'll spend the weekend (well, part of it) cleaning and restocking. I ate all the leftovers and fresh stuff so my cupboard is pretty bare. The cats and I will be very glad to see him.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #62  
Meg

Happy weekend!

The snow is so beautiful! It's still dark out but the snow is reflecting the streetlights and moonlight and everything is glowing. It looks like we have at least a foot and it's supposed to come down until late this afternoon. It's the heavy, wet kind of snow that coats all the tree branches, so everything is a winter wonderland.

I went out last night to shake off some dogwood trees that were bent almost to the ground and succeeded in covering myself in snow, but they're all bent over again. Hopefully they're not broken. We're lucky because we haven't lost power.

So no gym this morning, but I think that shoveling 15 - 18 inches of heavy, wet snow will be enough of a workout!

It's very cozy here with my coffee and cats, watching it snow.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:32 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Happy weekend!

The snow is so beautiful! It's still dark out but the snow is reflecting the streetlights and moonlight and everything is glowing. It looks like we have at least a foot and it's supposed to come down until late this afternoon. It's the heavy, wet kind of snow that coats all the tree branches, so everything is a winter wonderland.

I went out last night to shake off some dogwood trees that were bent almost to the ground and succeeded in covering myself in snow, but they're all bent over again. Hopefully they're not broken. We're lucky because we haven't lost power.

So no gym this morning, but I think that shoveling 15 - 18 inches of heavy, wet snow will be enough of a workout!

It's very cozy here with my coffee and cats, watching it snow.
There are some real benefits to getting up eary Meg. We get to see some really beautiful things when the rest of the world, for the most part, is still asleep. My cats and I "have tea" for about 15 minutes each morning and reconnect with each other.
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:42 AM   #64  

Question People Whisperers?

I'm really good with dogs. Not so much with people. I would ask any of you who manage other people to please give me some guidelines if you would?

My DH is stuck . He wants to change but can't. I need to coach him but the methods I've had grilled into me (the Jillian hectoring/abusing stuff) don't work with him.

He says he needs a carrot, rather than a stick. When I praise/reward him he doesn't believe it.

Thanks!
Dagmar
Old 02-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #65  

Dagmar sorry to hear about the communication issues

I'm communication challenged as well...for me the whole mindfullness Dharma kind of thing really worked out well

Check out some pages on the internet..family dharma for instance

I was always clinging to the idea "if I do A, then .... HAS to do B" and was forever trying to convince the other to do B, hugely dissapointed when B did not happen, not praising when B did happen, mad when I did an A that I did not like, only to find out that my reward B was not going to come etc etc.

Letting go of that tought is very hard ( at least for me ) but does work out a lot better.
I now try the line of thought:
"If I do A, ... might do B, or not"
This works out a lot better for me and my family.

Just my 2 cents, you might have totally different communications issues.

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:42 AM   #66  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Dagmar, I wonder whether it would be better for you to just drop the burden of trying to cheerlead your husband. It seems like you spend a lot of time trying to control his moods and actions--and really, you can't.

Be pleasant, commisserate when he's down, cheer with him when he's up. He can believe the cheers or not!

But don't try to "fix it" for him. You need that energy to support your own changes. If you think he's seriously depressed, then he probably needs professional assistance.

Things are pretty stable around here, except that we have a houseguest coming next week, and have been getting the guest room ready. Our first stay-over guest since we moved here 2-1/2 years ago! She's coming from Seattle--and I hope by then our weather will be less like Seattle. What a strange winter it's been for Florida...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #67  

Default This is silly . . .

. . . but I'm excited about using my slow cooker for the first time today. I can relax this afternoon and enjoy the 2 hours away at yoga. .

And this evening DH will be at band camp and I can read to my heart's content (and ogle Johnny Depp in the latest GQ - there should be a law about men who look that good ).

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!

Dagmar
Old 02-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #68  
Meg

Slow cookers are the best! I love having dinner cooking all day while I'm getting other stuff done.

Our official snow total is 21.1 inches, though it seemed more like two feet when I was shoveling yesterday. It was quite the functional fitness workout! We still need to break through the end of the driveway to the street because the plow came through about 7 pm and plowed us in.

We're very lucky and still have power and water, which a lot of homes around here don't have. We lost cable, Internet and the phone last night but everything is back this morning. It got down to 9 degrees overnight and isn't supposed to warm up for the next few days, so there won't be any melting. And they're predicting three more inches of snow on Tuesday.

I'm not even going to try going to the gym this morning and will count shoveling as my workout.

I hope everyone is having a warm, dry weekend.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #69  

I'ts cold, dry and sunny here in Toronto. We have about 1/4" patchy snow her and there. I LOVE THIS!!! Last year we had snow piled over 8 feet high on our front lawn (from clearing the driveway) and everywhere I went to pick up the dogs it was almost impossible to find parking.

I LOVE THIS! I'm hoping there's NO SNOW this winter (or ever again for that matter). Realistically I'm hoping I only have to wear my boots for a couple of months this winter.

Dagmar
Old 02-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Dagmar, 8' of snow makes me cringe. Even a few feet of snow is hellish, IMHO. Now, the one good thing about cold weather is that dog popsicles are a lot easier to pick up, and not so bad when I step on them, which I inevitably do when I volunteer at the shelter. Hope you're enjoying your ogling.

Meg, I've read that snow shoveling is really good cardio so you're definitely going to get a good aerobic workout.

Lisa, so good to see you back. How old is your son now? It seems like yesterday when you said you were pregnant. I've been eating "nearly" vegan for a while. It's difficult when eating out, but not hard to do at home. There are some wonderful vegan blogs with great recipes--just google.

We went to the mountains over the weekend to the winter carnival. I forgot how much I hate walking on ice and snow and now that I got the DEXA scan results, I'm even more fearful. But it was fun looking at the snow sculptures and hanging out with my son and his GF. The trees looked beautiful all covered with snow. We had a nice relaxing weekend of reading, sitting in the hot tub, eating some good and some not-so-good food.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote