Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-07-2009, 04:50 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: December 7 - 13

Brr! Is it freezing where you are? It's been so warm this fall that I'm completely unprepared for cold. It hurt to go outside yesterday! These are the mornings that I wish for an elliptical in the basement.

It was Spam Weekend here at 3FC! Every time I logged in to post, I ended up cleaning up countless spam posts instead. 'Tis the season for weight loss spam, I guess, though January is going to be a whole lot worse. Speaking of diet spam, I wish there was a way to convince people that weight loss doesn't have to cost money and that there isn't any EZ! Quik! Effortless! program that will magically get rid of fat. If I ever was going to write a diet book (which I'm not!), it would be called the Not Easy, Not Quick, Not Painless Diet Which Requires Sweat, Hard Work, And Planning For The Rest Of Your Life. And no one would buy it.

This weekend was Christmas cookie baking, with no BLTs. Once they're packaged up in the basement freezer, they're easy to ignore. Two more kinds today, then I'm done with baking. I'll get the Christmas boxes out of the attic tomorrow and we'll put our tree up this weekend.

It's time for a new mattress, after 17 years. Anyone have any suggestions about brands or types? I'm completely overwhelmed with the selection! All I know is that we're going to size up from queen to king size to better accommodate five furry friends.

Time to jump into my gym clothes and shiver my way to the gym. It's funny how Monday mornings are so busy but the crowds really peter out by Thursday and Friday. I guess everyone is trying to make up for their bad weekends. And of course, every guy in the world thinks that Monday is Chest Day, so it's best to stay far away from the bench press stations on Monday mornings.

How was your weekend? Any special challenges coming up this week?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Smile Good Morning!

Meg Re your book - the truth is much harder to cope with, isn't it? I no longer believe in "magic" diets but I'm still wishing for one sometimes.

I too will be mattress shopping in January. I've had the bed longer than I've had DH . I have a Sealy something and I think I'll go with that again. I'm not sure the quality will be the same as everthing is outsourced now (my current mattress was made in North America) but I love the bed I've had for 15 years.

I'm under my red line for the second weigh-in this month so I'm right OP.

One Christmas "do" with a bunch of dog walkers this Thursday at a chicken place and my choices will keep me OP .

DH has gone right off the rails because of the flu, a cold, and then a reaction to the flu shot yesterday. I had the same shot but I'm fine - just a sore arm - healthy living works!

I'm not buying any Christmas treats until the weekend before the event - too tempting !

Have a great week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 212/140/140

Hi Meg, i'm a new maintainer so very nice to meet you.

I'm in the UK, so very cold here too....heating is on full blast today and don't think i am going to venture out as my three children all have awful sickness bugs....very happy household here. Not.
On the plus side the time indoors has meant that the xmas tree is now up and twinkling beautifully....most of the house is nicely decorated albeit a bit tacky in places
This afternoon i shall be preparing the xmas stuffing for the turkey and freezing it so one less hassle nearer the day. Xmas this year is at my brothers and his wifes and two children, in total there will be 16 of us so we are all mucking in to make it a lot less stressful for the hosts.

Seeing as i shall be housebound for the next few days i will have to dig out the exercise dvd's and then maybe the wii fit tonight. Must admit i am not as commited to exercise as some of you ladies here.I do the minimal i'm afraid but i am looking at stepping it up......it's so hard....i have three children between the ages of 1 and 3.5....it's no excuse i know as i should make the time for exercise by maybe getting up an hour earlier and fitting it in there....it is definately next on my list.

Can't advice on mattresses i'm afraid....we just got the best that suited our budget.
You sound like my mum....she has five furry friends that share her bed too....all ex strays that now live the life of riley!
chinadoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:50 AM   #4  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning! I was going to be one of those "Monday morning make up for the week-end" exercisers today, but my son is sick so I don't think he'll be able to go to school. :sigh: I will do something but I'm not sure what. I have a dentist appt. at noon so I hope my husband can come home for lunch to cover for me. All this means that my eating has to be POP, right?

Hi chinadoll!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

chinadoll

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #6  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs down Ice - humbug!

Meg - Signing up for a first copy of your diet book - I like the title. Count me as one of those who is also rather tired of the ads for "quick" and "effortless."

Spent half an hour getting into a frozen car door this morning; Yuck! Time to accept that winter is here. Only two weeks until the shortest day of the year and then we can experience the joy that, since the days are getting longer, winter must be on its way out, LOL.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #7  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Brr! Is it freezing where you are?
Yes! Ok, not technically freezing, but actually darn close to it!

I had a dream last night about binging cookies and cheesecake, in the 9 minutes between when my alarm first went off (5:20), hit the snooze, and when it next went off (5:29). I think my body was telling me it didn't want to get up in the dark to go to the gym, but I ignored it and got up anyway. How come IRL I've never found a chocolate cookie as satisfying as the ones that are in my dreams? My work + rehearsal schedule over the next 1 1/2 months is going to make me go to the gym early some days, and schedule creatively, but I'm determined to get workouts in, even if they're a bit shorter than I'd like. Tonight I actually have book club, but multiple play & choral rehearsals Tues & Wed.

My sister is pregnant! I'm going to be an aunt for the first time! This will be the first baby in the our family since my sis & my generation, same with her DH's family. She's due July 4.

Welcome chinadoll! Glad you've joined us. Though I don't have much personal experience with kids I am pretty sure running after 3 young ones burns some calories.

Meg, I would buy your book! Of course you all know to count me in with those who just don't believe weight loss or maintenance is effortless. The best mattress I've ever slept on was positively heavenly, and one day when I actually pay for a mattress instead of taking cast-offs I'm going to call and ask what type they have. It was at the Beau Rivage hotel in Biloxi, MS. Perhaps you could call them and ask what type they have.

Lily, I read your posts in last week's thread. If you're checking in this week, I'll be sending supportive thoughts your way that you get a liver soon. Glad to hear that everything is going well with the girls, Shane, and DH.

Have a great week everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

It's definitely cold here! We had our first snow of the season last night. I haven't checked the numbers but it looks like about 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch or so -- enough to coat roofs and streets, but not enough to cover up the grass. They didn't do a very good job of cleaning the streets though so it took forever to get to work. DH and I were laughing because our city had perfectly clear streets, but as soon as we crossed into the next one it wasn't cleared at all! Then there was an ice sheet right outside my office.

Bill, yuck on the car door. I sure am glad we can fit both cars in the garage now. DH will have to clear off the car when he leaves from work though.

Meg, my parents have a Dux bed which they love. It's some fancy tempur-pedic style mattress. DH and I just have a standard pillow-top that we bought on clearance because it was a floor model at the mattress shop and at the time we were pretty broke! It's pretty beat up though so we may replace soon even though we've only had it for five years.

Dagmar, yay for being under red line! I hope your DH feels better soon.

China, welcome!

Ward, I hope your son feels better.

Megan, congrats to your sister! Being an aunt would be so exciting! I think that I will probably become an aunt in the next couple years too -- my sister's getting married in August and her fiancee wants to have kids soon. Since they are both women I'm not sure what their plans are about finding a sperm donor, or if they plan to both be pregnant at some point (I'm pretty sure they do not plan to adopt). Either way it would be nice to have a niece or nephew!

Speaking of babies, I have been getting some depressing news from my friends lately. A couple who we have been friends with since college had a baby several months ago, and apparently it has pretty much destroyed their marriage, and they are now going to marriage counselling. You would think that having a baby would bring a family together, and be a happy time for them, but apparently everything went south. It does give us some things to think about before we decide whether or not to have kids.

It was funny though that after DH and I talked about our friends' issues and said we weren't sure whether or not we ever want to have kids, two hours later we were at the grocery store and he was pointing out all these cute babies that were there! I was like, are you trying to tell me something?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Rain here.

And I have to take Buddy to the vet. I found some old pain meds for him last week and he really improved over the course of 3 or 4 days so I called for a refill. They want to see him first. Don't they realize that at his age (15 or 16) he should be considered a hospice patient and we're only making him comfortable. Getting him in and out of the car DOES NOT make him comfortable. Poor old guy.

Great weekend! Saturday we drove to Fullerton, met up with my aunt, uncle and 5 cousins for dinner at Buca di Beppo and then went to see Dana's concert. It was a lot of fun. Yesterday I started my Christmas shopping. I hope to get some more done after work on Wednesday.

Tomorrow we're going to go see Barry Manilow. He's doing 5 concerts here in town (he lives here) and all the proceeds go to local charities. His first concert was sold out and had rave reviews, so I hope it continues!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #10  
Workin' It

Cold here today! All weekend, actually. I skipped my planned park trip on Saturday because it was freezing, then ended up outside in it anyway playing with DSS. He was amazingly unaffected by the cold until he noticed his hands were cold after 45 minutes in 35 degrees... I noticed it all along. I've moved my maintenance range to 123-127. That puts my redline at my original loss goal. I'm also interested in finding out my body fat percentage - the number on my scale just doesn't seem right. Where does one go to get that tested?

Meg - I'm in for your book, too! The 'quick fix' ads and spam messages are making me crazy, as well. I saw a bunch of them this weekend. My greatest mattress every came from "The Original Mattress Factory", not sure if they have any locations outside of GA. I have one now, and love it.

Dagmar - on the under redline! My DH got an H1N1 vaccine on Friday and was sick Saturday as well. I got a standard flu shot a month or so ago and had no side effects other than the muscle pain (all the way down my arm into my hand...).

Chinadoll - welcome! Wow, three kids under 3.5 - I imagine it is hard getting in the exercise! My stepson is four and only with us part of the time and I have a hard time on the days he is there. I think you are doing great getting any in! I'm trying to get up earlier, too, but have been dismally failing at it most of the time for the last few weeks.

Ward - sorry DS is sick.

Bill - wow, frozen car door. And I thought it was cold here...

Meg - congratulations Aunt! Send me some of those 'get up early to exercise vibes'... Mine are pretty much gone.

Jessica - Unfortunately, I've seen babies damage relationships often myself. The couple stops taking any time for themselves, or in the cases of some of my girlfriends they focused all of their energy on the baby and neglected the husband and the relationship, making the husband feel very left out.

Allison - poor Buddy, taking him to the vet seems totally unnecessary to me at this point, it will just make him more uncomfortable. Hope the visit goes well. And enjoy Barry Manilow!

Good day everyone!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 12-07-2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: left the window open too long and missed posts
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Morning, everyone! It's getting colder for me, too, but nothing like most of you are experiencing - one of the perks of life in southern Arizona!

I baked some cookies Saturday night and so far have been pretty good with them... taking the rest to work with me today and hoping others gobble them up before I do. =)

My only complaint today is that I seem to have lost my voice beyond a whisper and a few crack-throughs, and I need to give a presentation this afternoon! eek - hoping it comes back before then.

Meg, I love the potential book idea, though I'm sure it'd only be people like us who'd buy it!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I was bound and determined to get on here earlier this week so here I am. Sneaking in at work....shhhh....

It is freezing here. Not nearly as cold as some parts of the country but COLD for me. I hate the cold. It is raining too. Nasty, nasty.

Meg-- I've considered getting the tempurpedic (sp) mattress and plan on looking at it when we need a new one. I've heard great things about them.

Megan-- Congrats on becoming an Aunt!! I just became an Aunt a couple of years ago when my niece was born. You have the funniest food dreams. I had another dream the other night that I was pregnant!! It was weight related because I started to realize I hadn't gained any weight since I was pregnant (don't know how pregnant I was) and I was thinking I would have to start gaining weight soon. I started worrying that I wouldn't know how much weight to gain or when I would need to gain it. That was never a problem when I was really pregnant!!

Welcome Chinadoll! Glad you have joined us! My brother-in-law and his wife live in London. Where are you?

Work is piling up around me so I better get off for now.....
Hello to everyone else!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning! I'm not as concerned with how cold it is (okay, I really am, but I don't want to bug you gals. I too hate the cold) as I am with how much longer til the shortest day. Then it'll start getting lighter again, which I love.

Went with 2 GFs to see a local production of Babes in Toyland yesterday, and I was laughing so hard I cried. They did an excellent job. I bought tickets to go again with DH, as I know he'll enjoy it as well.

Saturday I spent at a brunch with my quilting friends (9 of us in all). THe food was awesome. nothing store bought. I stuck to my plan to have a small portion of whatever I wanted, but no seconds (except of course). It was a lot of fun. We draw names for gift giving, and because we've known each other so long, and have common interests, the gifts are great. The new Susan Boyle album showed up in several places.

Now it's back to work. Back on my plan of OP eating when there's not a special event. The next one is Thursday lunch, but we're going some place I know the menu and can eat appropriately. The visiting is the main event, right?

DH is mailing the bulk of our Christmas gifts today. We need a few strange sized boxes to pack the rest, but basically we're done with the out-of-state folks, and no need to resort to express mail.

Megan - congrats on impending aunthood! I love it, but mine are too far away!

Alison - hope that Buddy had an okay trip to the vet.

Meg - no help on the mattress. We have a solid foam one, and then a memory foam pad over that; very firm, which is what we like. We upgraded to a queen when we got this one (12 yrs ago? though the memory foam is newer) for room for 2 cats, and still some nights I fine myself with a sliver on the edge.

Welcome Chinadoll!!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We're back from the vet. Basically the pain meds do cause some liver and kidney problems in some dogs, so they wanted to do a blood test to make sure he's ok. I'll get the results on Wednesday. They also did a prostate exam on him! I didn't know they did that on dogs! Thankfully they left the room for that!!! Anyway, the dog gave us the extra large size of the pain meds, so we'll be good for a couple of months. He also prescribed another med which he says works in conjunction with the first, so we'll see. It was sure a fiasco getting the old guy in and out of my car--in the rain! I got mud on my new back seats (which I wiped up quickly!!).

Meanwhile, we got broken into at work AGAIN! They cut a huge section of razor wire and broke into one truck and took a gas card. I guess they weren't too smart because they didn't write down the pin # so no gas has been charged to the card (thank goodness--the last time this happened we had $500 in charges). Now we just have to pay to have the razor wire repaired (again). We're thinking it was the same guys who tried last weekend and ended up falling and cutting themselves--we had quite a bit of blood all over in one area. Stupid thieves!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #15  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Allison, sorry to hear about the break in. Glad to hear Buddy is still doing okay!

I'm having a really weird day today. Breakfast as usual this morning, then at 11:30 I went to my office gym to get in my run, since it's snowy outside and I don't have time after work. Got back to my desk around 12:20, wasn't hungry, but ate my lunch anyway since I had a meeting at 1. Then at 2:30 I was suddenly starving. So I ate my apple, got 3/4 of the way through it, and felt gross and over-ful, so I threw the rest out. Now I just feel kind of vaguely queasy and headachy. Hopefully I'm not sick since I'm doing the job shadowing program the next three days. It seems more like some kind of weird reaction to my workout, since I did run pretty fast.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote