Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Arrow This guy definitely gets "it"....

I hope 3FC member AmberE doesn't mind, but I am passing along the link that she left over in Support. I wanted you folks here to see it as well, in case you hadn't. It's quite lengthy, but I think you will find yourself nodding up and down in agreement through out.

Like I said in the thread that Amber started, I think I'm in love.

Please take a look at it when you get a chance.

http://avidityfitness.net/2008/02/01...-for-fat-loss/
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

to this guy! It's so disheartening to see people give in to excuses and relinquish the power over their own decisions. When I was picking myself up off the ground, that was a HUGE realization. Thanks for giving this article it's own thread. So relevant and true!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:27 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

I have been swamped lately, making a BIG party at my home Feb 15, work, the usual housework and now on top of it - we're painting.

I was preparing tonight's dinner for my kids, I made a delicious soup and some chicken. I really didn't feel like starting with roasting veggies. I was telling myself I simply don't have the *time* to do it. And then this article came into my head. I quickly rethought how I was thinking and realized that "today, making roasted veggies is not a top priority for me, so THAT'S why I don't have time for it."

Got to feeling guilty, even though they like rice (it's the Rice-A-Roni type rice). I make it so infrequently, it's a great back-up for me. But somehow, lo and behold I "found" the time. There's a nice tray of veggies in the oven as we speak.

This has really stuck with me. Whenever I hear or think it myself, "I don't have time for xyz", all we're really saying is xyz is not a priority for me. And ya know what sometimes, there will actually BE times when xyz is not a priority. Glory losing her stepdad and visiting her Mom comes to mind. But we gotta call it what it is.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 02-03-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
This has really stuck with me. Whenever I hear or think it myself, "I don't have time for xyz", all we're really saying is "xyz is not a priority for me.
Exactly. While life happens and sometimes it is truly out of our hands, I've never once heard someone say, "Gosh, I really regret dragging myself to the gym" or "Boy, that sure was a waste of time putting the effort into making a decent, healthy meal for my family". I think the problem comes in when we come to rely on the excuses of being too tired or not having the time. Sometimes we tend to hang onto them with all we've got and all we have left is regret. You'll never regret just doing it.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #5  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
to this guy!
Psst... Leigh is a woman. http://avidityfitness.net/about-leigh-peele/

I own her material (although I took some things from it, I still follow my own plan). She's a very good resource though for weight loss.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #6  
No description available.

I love that article. I hate excuses....especially mine! I think that sometimes our fear can manifest as excuses though and it can take a person or an event to point out how ridiculous some of our excuses are. Last night I was talking to a riend about my trainer and weight lifting and she shared some goals that she had and also some interest with working with my trainer. Her concern/barrier/excuse is that she doesn't like protein shakes. I reassured her that protein shakes are not mandatory, but it got me thinking...what are some of the barriers I may have set up for myself? Or have others set up for themselves? If the only thing betweeen myself and my goals is a fear of "x" am I going to give that thing that much power over me? Do I not reach my goals for a freaking tater tot? What are our dreams worth? And what insignificant things do we allow to stand in our ways? Sometimes there are real barriers, but sometimes the barriers I allow to manifest are laughable and ridiculous.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #7  
Let's do this!

Whoops! My bad! She's awfully militant (In a totally awesome way, of course)
Old 02-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Its a very good post. I definitely agree with finding the time. I know I used to watch tv and quite a bit of it. My life changed and TV isn't watched by me usually unless I'm doing another activity. My husband and I watched a movie two weekends in a row which is something that hasn't happened in 3 or 4 months.

That isn't to say that I don't waste time, I do. I may decided to sit down and play a computer game or read some blogs or check 3FC but I'm more mindful of the time in general than I was when I watched a lot of TV.

For me, making healthy meals, prepacking meals, etc is important and I have to make the time. Exercising is important and I have to find the time. For me, this winter has been brutal and I've been sleeping a lot. I find when I exercise though, I sleep more restfully and I sleep less so although it takes time, I save time through not sleeping as much.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #9  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

It is inspiring to read what someone will do when they are really, really focused on a goal.

I need to get more focused.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
Whoops! My bad! She's awfully militant (In a totally awesome way, of course)
My bad too! I even put it in the title of the thread. I was actually wondering if Leigh Peele was male or female, but I didn't have *time* to investigate further.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #11  
Starting to Get It!

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I hope 3FC member AmberE doesn't mind, but I am passing along the link that she left over in Support. I wanted you folks here to see it as well, in case you hadn't. It's quite lengthy, but I think you will find yourself nodding up and down in agreement through out.

Like I said in the thread that Amber started, I think I'm in love.

Please take a look at it when you get a chance.

http://avidityfitness.net/2008/02/01...-for-fat-loss/
Hi Rockinrobin! I definitely don't have a problem with you linking it. This really hit home with me, and made me want to change myself so much. I am so glad you liked it too. Haha oh yeah and I am glad you got that she is a girl
AmberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #12  
Starting to Get It!

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCdn View Post
Psst... Leigh is a woman. http://avidityfitness.net/about-leigh-peele/

I own her material (although I took some things from it, I still follow my own plan). She's a very good resource though for weight loss.
Hi again Anne I don't know if you remember talking to me when I first came here, but you gave me some really nice advice and I wanted to say thanks for making me think I finally have down how many calories to eat and bought a scale!

I too bought Ms. Peele's Fat Loss Troubleshoot book. It really has helped me so much. I felt so lossed and confused and this really put everything together for me. Did you like the audiobook? I have it in my car!
AmberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #13  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Hey Amber, I do remember you. For a number of reasons, I'm just not around much anymore. The food scale is probably the one item I'd recommend for every person trying to lose weight. It's so helpful.

I agree about Leigh's stuff. I think I knew much of it (and I still tend to follow my own lead), but its definitely worth the read. I keep meaning to look into the audiobook, but never did. She's most definitely a smart women (even though I do occasionally disagree with her).

Take care!
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote