Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #31  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I use my exercise equipment at home when I'm sick instead of going to the gym. (I don't want to expose others to my illness, or get a bunch of nasty looks for a cough at the gym).

I successfully cleaned my formal dining room yesterday and got most of the laundry room finished. I could have gotten more done except the girls kept giving me tons more laundry to do.

Shannon, LOL , we bought all the new baseboards last February and so far the living room and hallway are completed. He's finished with half of the kitchen now and did do the front entryway this weekend. If I knew how to cut them perfectly I'd do the job myself!

I'm waiting for him to finish the rest of the floors and baseboards before I go get me a completely new bedroom set. I wish he'd hurry!

We called Gordon's Jewelers on Saturday and they informed us that my ring is ready to pick up (after being sized). DH went to pick it up and when he got there it wasn't ready. They had never sent it to be sized! I was furious (and so was he). They've had it now for almost 4 weeks! Anyway they promised to have it ready by 2PM today. If it isn't ready they'll probably end up calling mall security on me, LOL.

I also cleaned out my kitchen cabinets on Saturday and packed up several boxes of extra dishes, silverware, pots and pans for my son to have when he gets home and moves into his new duplex. My son is going to have a roommate to share the duplex with. The other guy is his age and works at the Oil Rig with DH. They plan to work opposite 7 day hitches and have the place to themselves on their weeks home.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #32  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning. Due to time differences, the inauguation was on very early here. I watched most of the preliminary stuff at home, and we tried to watch the actual swearing in and speech on the internet at work, but it was sooooo slow and kept stopping to buffer, that we finally turned on the radio to hear the speech. But I understand it's on again tonight - at least on NBC, so I'll watch it then.

Today is another meeting day, but a much less intense one than the Monday morning ones. And whoops, time to go.....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #33  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I was so glad to have a 3-day weekend - got extra rest, did some house chores, cooked healthy meals for the week, etc. BF left Sunday to go work for his DS & BIL's company for the next 1 1/2 weeks. I'm sad that he's going to miss my play, but it's good $ he can't pass up b/c winter is his slow season. I can't believe dress rehearsal is this Thursday already. My co-star and I had to finally start practicing our onstage kisses last night. It was...really really weird. I don't know how Hollywood actors do their love scenes!

At my "weekly weigh-in" this morning I weighed 145 - just under my pre-Christmas weight. Wahoo! It's all down from here.

Pat, we tried to stream the inauguration at work but it also kept timing out (we guessed b/c so many people were trying to watch it). Luckily we tried to set it up early, realized it wasn't working, and drove to my co-worker's house to watch it on a TV so we didn't miss it. Shannon, I agree, I'll bet those people were cold! My sis & BIL live in Bethesda but didn't even try to go into DC to see it live. (Also not trying to be political, just talking about the inauguration in general ).

Lily, how exciting that you're making plans for Shane to come home!

Allison, I'll have to look for Gringo Bandito next time I go to Albertson's in the city. I'm always looking for new oyster sauces. Lately I've been obsessed with Tiger Sauce, which of course isn't hot at all. BF likes big globs of plain horseradish - ouch! I'll have to look for Mike & Diane's too. My fridge has so many condiments, but I use them all!

Dagmar, I will do what I feel up to when I'm sick. If I'm genuinely sick and feel terrible I don't feel I "have" to work out, but if I have the energy I'll try to do something. But I will also try my best to keep my germs to myself - not go to the gym until I'm not contagious.

Kim, I agree! Even though if I had to guess I'd say the orange goldfish are also artificially colored, at least they're the same color as some cheeses (even if the cheese is also artificially colored). The rainbow ones - gah! Of course I rarely eat either... but yeah. Why is it that colored m&m's don't gross me out (quite the opposite!) but rainbow goldfish do?

Trying to picture Meg's herd of sick cats. I didn't know colds could spread through cat communities. Doesn't sound fun for the caretaker!

Darn it, now I'm thinking about M&M's.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #34  
Chuggin' along...

bargoo, did you get your scan results yesterday? I'm hoping for good news.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #35  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

My parent's are hosting the superbowl party. They make some kind of pumpernickel bread bowl dip every year. It doesn't sound that appealing to me, so I will bring some kind of fruit and some home made protein bars. Either cranberry/pumpkin, or banana/chocolate (testing my recipe today on this one).
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Allison - Scorned Woman??? You must like your hot sauce SUPER HOT.
I have a bottle of that in the fridge - it almost burned a hole in my tummy.
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #37  
Workin' It

I've never had scorned woman, but now I have to try it... I love hot hot hot sauce!

I just did 45 minutes of kickboxing and then helped DH and his buddy move the exercise equipment to the garage. I'm pretty excited to have the stuff down there now... I'll have room to spread out...

I've stayed mostly on plan with food this week and haven't made any big changes in my diet, but I've been feeling bloated and a little gassy this week. I can't figure out why, but it hasn't been a lot of fun. My stepson isn't here tonight and there is only so much gas that you can blame on the cat!

About to go do some PM yoga to unwind before bed...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #38  
lilybelle

I went and picked up my ring without mall security showing up for me. Although, the manager of Gordon's is supposed to call me tomorrow. I'm terribly disappointed because they re-sized my ring to a 6.5 and I was measured and needed a 5.5, so it feels like it will easily fall off my finger. I'm so angry right now that I feel like I should just get a refund and go next door and buy the exact same ring at Kay's jewelers instead! Maybe they could actually get the sizing right! OK, rant over!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Sorry about your ring Lily. Definitely make sure they get it right for you. Mall jewelers tend to be very hit and miss with their quality control. I can imagine how frustrated you are with them.

Shannon-- I would assume your tummy issues are nerves/stress. Funny you would blame it on your cat-- our dogs get blamed around here!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
Morning, maintainers.

I've been in lurk mode for a while, but I thought I'd reemerge with this scintillating, earth-shattering observation:

Rainbow goldfish disturb me. No, it's not the fact that they have virtually no nutritional redeeming value. It's their colors. I eat green food. I eat purple food. But that doesn't mean I want my snack crackers to be green or purple.

As you were.

Kim
Hey Kim! Nice to see you back.

We don't haverainbow goldfish in Canada. But, to add to the weird foods in the supermarket, I saw Chocolate Chex mix last week.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #41  
Chuggin' along...

It's cold here! My heater couldn't keep up last night - it was set to 67 and was only 62 in the house this morning (24 outside). I didn't use the emergency setting, though. Brrrr. I hope the citrus and strawberry crops in central Florida make it ok! I got some delicious Florida oranges at the store last week.

The chocolate chex mix is tasty. I mean, not that I would ever eat that... or anything... Well I think I've had it 2-3 times in the several years it's been out down here.

Lily, that's ridiculous! I would demand they re-size it again, for free. If they won't, demand a refund. They should be financially accountable for their mistakes, and you don't want that ring to slip off!

I'm very glad I'm in the office today instead of going out in the field. I plan to venture outside for a lunchtime walk, but it's nice not to have to put on 4 layers top & bottom to be outside all day like I did each day last week for field work. Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #42  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I am totally falling behind on this thread. I have an update on my doggie though! His feet look like they're doing a little better. Yesterday we stopped by Petco to see if they had bandages we could wrap his feet in, but no dice. However, we did find a pain-relieving lotion that is supposed to speed healing and deter licking, so we bought that, along with a set of booties so that we can start taking him for walks again without worrying about him hurting his feet.

I think he is getting irritable from being cooped up inside for so long. He's only had one walk in the past two weeks, and since he hurt two more toes after the walk we stopped taking him. I'm hoping we can take him for a walk tonight with his boots on. However, getting him in the boots and getting the lotion on his toes was a big problem. I've mentioned before that he has to be knocked out to have his nails clipped because he hates having his feet touched so much. Well, we've been working on obedience with him and he's been really good lately, he's even been letting me check on his feet without really growling at all. I managed to get lotion on his feet and get two boots on him by main force, plus trying to use dog whisperer techniques to keep him calm. He obviously was not calm, he even managed to wriggle out of his cone collar, but although it took 45 minutes to do it wasn't too awful (he only snapped at me once). Then later in the evening I went to put the other two boots on him also. I was feeling pretty confident that he was obeying me, and the feet I was going for were the uninjured ones. I didn't put the cone back on him and I didn't keep one hand on his neck to hold him down. He snapped at me when I grabbed his feet but I honestly thought he was just trying to scare me. He put his mouth on my hand but didn't bite, just touched me with his teeth. I ignored him, thinking, if I show him I'm not scared, he'll back off and let me do it.

Well, I was wrong. He bit me. It's not a bad bite -- not as bad as the time he accidentally bit me while trying to take chicken from my hand -- just a little nick, and it's almost entirely healed this morning. But I was still really upset. I didn't believe he would actually bite me. In any case, he got the cone back on his head right away after that. This morning he was snippy when I checked his feet, but with DH's help I managed to put the pain relief lotion on his feet and all four boots on (he did have the cone on the whole time) with no injuries. We left him with the cone and the boots on, so hopefully he'll get used to them during the day and we can take him for a walk tonight.

He looks pretty ridiculous with the boots on. He doesn't understand what they are, and he walks funny with them on, lifting his feet really high up off the floor!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carter_shoes.jpg (16.6 KB, 17 views)
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #43  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Lily - that is outrageous. Did you pay for the resizing? I would take it back and have them redo it.

Jessica - don't you wish our pets understood that we are only trying to help them? Poor doggy.

My banana chocolate protein bars came out really well. Almost like a cake with protein. Here is a link to the recipe. They might actually be better done in muffin cups instead of a baking pan.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #44  
Workin' It

Good morning -
Freezing here today! 17 degrees outside again... And of course this is the first morning of my parking outside instead of in the garage so I can have my exercise equipment in there... Made me wonder if it really was as good an idea to relo to the garage as I thought it was originally....

Michele - I'm sure the stomach issues are nerves... I feel a little better today, more settled. And yes, my poor cat takes the flak for a lot of things in my house!

Lily - that is really annoying about your ring! I would make them fix it at no charge! 6.5 instead of 5.5 is a pretty big difference. I would want to just return it and go to Kay at this point, too...

Megan - I'm glad you are in the office instead of out in this cold today!

Jessica - poor doggie... It is so hard when pets are sick, because you can't explain to them what is happening or why they need to put boots on...

Dagmar - I kind of like the chocolate Chex mix, myself... It did seem odd when I first bought it, though...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #45  
lilybelle

They did offer to resize my ring again for free. I had bought the insurance plan on it that gives free resizing and replacement of diamonds if one is ever lost. The thing that is so irritating is that they kept it for 4 weeks and still got it wrong! Right now I have my plain gold band (that fits) in front of it to keep it from falling off. I guess I'll wear it this way for a few days and then send it back. It doesn't look good though cause the plain band isn't nearly as thick as the anniversary band.

Part of what had me so upset with the ring situation is that the clerk at the jewelry store was a real snot. She acted like it was all no big deal. I have purchased jewerly from Gordon's before, but Never again! DH paid cash for this ring, I somehow think if it was financed we would have maybe gotten better service (due to them worrying that it wouldn't be finished being paid for).

Jessica, I've never seen those doggie boots before. I don't think my dogs would ever bite me, but they just might if I tried to put those on them. I am glad your doggies feet are healing.

I was up most of the night with cough and congestion. I sure wish this would hurry up and go away.

Today I'm mailing my son a birthday package. His 23rd birthday is Jan. 28th. It's sure hard to come up with ideas to send to him when he'll be home in about 2 months. I did find this neat putting game (to practice his golf) where the putter links together in 3 pieces and it will all fit in the airmail box. Also some golf figurines that he will like and some movies. DH is taking his new Harley to have a forward control set put on it that Shane is very much wanting.

Michele, the dogs get blamed at my house too!