Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Shannon--- is your surgery tomorrow? Will be thinking good thoughts for you!! Please let us know how you are when you can. My friend had the surgery this summer and I think she was on the computer a day or two later.

You know...we all try to make good choices when we go out (usually). I am going to meet dh in a few minutes at a coffee house and I looked up nutritional analysis online to see if there were any good options for food. All of the muffins, scones, etc. have 400-600 calories and tons of fat even their "low fat" options. No thank you. I'll be bringing my snacks in my purse and having my no fat latte. Oh well..... again.... a reminder to me of how I gained so much weight thinking I was eating healthy. I was never a big eater and felt I made good choices but I used to eat out a lot. Now it is rare that I eat out. I like to be able to control what I am eating and what is in it.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #17  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey gang!

Meg - sorry to hear about your kitty's cold. It stinks when they don't feel good, because they don't know they will get better, just that they don't feel good at that moment.

Bargoo - good luck with the test results!

Anne - sorry you are not feeling good. My DH said today that he is getting sick (again!). No kisses for him LOL!

Sheila, hope you are feeling better. ERs are no fun.

Shannon - keep us updated on your surgery!

I had a pretty good on plan weekend, although I ate a bit too much on Saturday. Lots of snow shoveling: helped offset that. rolleyes:

My bread turned out awesome! I'm so excited! Higher in calories than "lite" breads, but I know everything that went into it, and the taste is wonderful. I will be freezing half the loaf. I calculated calories for the whole batch and I weigh out my slices so I know how many calories it is. John's pretty excited to make french toast with it LOL!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #18  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Wow, this thread is busy already. I can't remember most of what was on the first page.

My MIL dropped by for an overnight visit last night. It went well. Lacy and I took both dogs to the nearby lake and walked 2 miles with them yesterday. It was fun and I felt like I was dragged most of the way at a quick trot pace.
Then , DH finally started on putting on some of our new baseboards and he almost has the kitchen done. (He goes back to work tomorrow and is now sleeping, so Almost is probably as much as will get finished).

I am cleaning my laundry room and formal dining room today. That should keep me busy all day.

My gym is closed today! The girls are home from school and begging for Ice Cream. I'm not going to get it cause I'd probably want to eat it!
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #19  
Workin' It

My surgery actually isn't until Thursday... I have a few more days. So, really not quite to last minute stuff yet, though DH wants to practice setting me up different places (sofa with pillows, recliner, bed upstairs with pillows, etc) to see what is more comfortable, wants to make lists of foods and stuff, medicine lists etc... So, will probably take three days to take care of his list of 'last minute details'!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #20  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning - wow I was away from the computer all weekend, so lots to catch up on. I was packing and moving stuff out of my sewing/craft room, which also has 3 bookcases and is where we store most of our books. DH is getting a friend to help move the furniture, but I had to box up and move the rest. I finished about 90%, but ran out of boxes. I have 2/3 of one bookcase plus the plants left to move.

I did have a decent food weekend. Made a big batch of chili with 7% ground beef (as lean as our groceries carry), and I chopped up a zucchini into really small pieces and threw that in too.

Lori - I make bread all the time using the dough setting and then baking in a pan. I like not having the initial mess. And I really like knowing what's in my bread. DH has some digestive issues and pretty much doesn't do WW so I make a healthy white bread with oats for him.

Sheila - glad to hear the issues with your eyes are resolving. I had sterioids a few weeks back when I got a bad case of hives in reaction to an antibiotic, and learned the same thing as you - no weight gain with so short a course of steriods - whew. I've known folks who were on them for IBS, etc. and weight gain was an issue.

And Sheila, Michele, and Bargoo - for good results.

We had warm weather (50's) all weekend, and Sat we had sunshine - it was sooo nice! Yesterday the clouds rolled in and while it was still warmish this morning, it's actually colder now than when I got up this morning, and it's started raining/snowing. Let's hope that the temps go back to "normal" winter temps and not the way sub-zero ones they were over Christmas.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #21  

Meg and everyone, thanks for the feedback. I had missed that sticky and found lots of great information there. I love 3FC!

I shall now go back to lurking (and losing)!
freer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #22  
Meg

Losing, yes, but don't you dare go back to lurking!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:49 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Question Do you work out. . .

. . .when you're sick?

My DH strongly suggested I don't do my weights/cardio workout as I have this killer cold. Since my whole work day is a workout, I think I'll try the weights part of the at-home workout, have a little lie down, and then go out and walk the dogs.

I have 8 dog walks today, due to injuries, people working late, etc. Seems business always picks up whenever I'm sick. But the Christmas bills just came in so out there I go.

At least it's not supposed to snow today.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #24  

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar, I might go for an easy walk or something, but I really try not to do anything strenuous when I'm sick. I find it tends to make the sickness last longer and that just puts me farther back overall.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #25  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning, maintainers.

I've been in lurk mode for a while, but I thought I'd reemerge with this scintillating, earth-shattering observation:

Rainbow goldfish disturb me. No, it's not the fact that they have virtually no nutritional redeeming value. It's their colors. I eat green food. I eat purple food. But that doesn't mean I want my snack crackers to be green or purple.

As you were.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #26  
Meg

Kim! Good to have you back with us.

PS -- due to Steelers fever here in Pittsburgh, every food imaginable now comes in black and gold.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Dagmar~yes, I usually exercise when I'm sick. If I have a cold, I keep going. Weird, though--two or three times I've gotten up, done my workout, had my shower and THEN I got so sick I ended up staying home in bed. It's as if my body didn't decide it was sick until later in the morning. I usually feel fine while working out and then get queasy while reading the newspaper.

Oh, I found a gem at Trader Joe's last night. I was in the frozen foods area and they had some breakfast things that I'd never seen before. Chorizo and egg crustless quiche. It has 190 calories per serving (2 in a box). I guess the bad part is the fat content (90 calories from fat) but it has 15 grams of protein. And it tastes pretty darn good (although I had to add hot sauce--I like my morning eggs spicy!).

So what kinds of food is everyone anticipating to serve/eat for Superbowl Sunday?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #28  
Workin' It

Dagmar - I exercise when I'm sick usually also. I do lower the intensity if I have chest congestion.

Alinnell - ooo, those quiche sound yummy. DH doesn't eat eggs but I do, so anything like that I could grab and take to work would be perfect... I would have to add hot sauce, also I bet. Speaking of hot sauce - Mike & Diane's Ring of Fire sauces are the greatest I've ever had. I recommend them to everyone I know who mentions liking hot sauce. http://www.mikeanddianes.com/engine/...cts.aspx?cat=1

Kim - rainbow goldfish are somewhat creepy to me, too. My four year old stepson LOVES them so I have them in my house all the time...

Lori and Pat - what kind of breads do you make? I've had the hardest time finding good bread lately...

Lily - I had a stack of crown molding in my garage for over a year once, buying them and getting them in the house was as close as we ever got to installing them...

Meg - I bet you are surrounded by Steelers Fever! I didn't realize you were in Pittsburgh, I bet it is exciting there right now!

I'm working today with the live MSNBC coverage of the inaugeration running. No political discussing here, just want to say that it is absolutely amazing how many people have turned out for this event in freezing DC.

DH and I practiced setting up pillows to prop me up Thursday after surgery last night. Tonight he wants to go through and setup all the clothes I might want in the three days after. He also has a buddy coming over to move the exercise equipment from my crowed guest room down into the garage, so when my recovery is done I'll be able to exercise with enough room to move finally! I just need to get a space heater for in there in case it stays in the 20s for a while...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I workout when I'm sick unless I am very sick.
I don't feel well now and made myself workout last night. It was a little more effort than normal but I made it through....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Hot sauces: does anyone like the Offspring? The lead singer (who has a masters in microbiology--strange thing for a punk rocker!) came up with a hot sauce called Gringo Bandito that is being sold in So Cal Albertsons. I bought a bottle the other day and it's pretty good. Instead of being scary hot it has a great taste and a good dose of hotness. It has a black pepper taste that a lot of hot sauces don't have.

But my absolute favorite hot sauce is the original Scorned Woman (they have a garlic hot sauce that isn't hot at all--yuck).

But a lot of the time I pick up extra packets of Del Scorcho sauce from Del Taco and keep them on hand--I think they are the best on eggs.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote