Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #31  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Megan, I am so craving Olive Garden breadsticks right now after reading your post!

I'm not a huge fan of shrimp, but here in Indy I am missing the fresh fish that I always got when I lived on the coasts. At the supermarket they don't even wrap it in those plastic scale sheets, just brown paper! (ew!) And about the only fish that ever looks appetizing at the local supermarket is tilapia, which is pretty boring as fish goes. There is a butcher shop nearby that always carries fresh fish, but it is so expensive we don't buy it ($20/lb for salmon?? even for wild salmon that's a lot!). We have been buying frozen fish instead -- Trader Joe's actually had really fresh looking frozen fish. I want to find the "frozen at sea" kind -- talk about fresh!

My lunch today was pretty sad by nutrition standards, but at least it's wasn't full of fat. I had about a cup and a half of plain spaghetti for lunch. My fiance packed it for me and he was supposed to put sauce on it but he forgot! I also have a banana and yogurt for snacking, but still... (can you tell I'm not low-carb? )

At work they have these bake sales for charity (the one I brought cupcakes for). Today the person bringing the bake sale foods did a total cop-out -- danishes from Costco! I dunno about everyone else, but I feel like a bake sale means you are supposed to bring something homemade. I thought I would gain five pounds just looking at them. Now I'm craving them! Ugh. This carb-a-licious day is going to get more carby because I'm thinking about having half a bagel with some cream cheese for a snack. I'll just tell myself the carbs are providing energy for my workout this evening...

My scale was down today. I think I'm back in that cycle of 134 at the beginning of the week and 131 at the end of the week. Fingers crossed that tomorrow I am not back at 134 again.

Tomorrow we're going for our third round of house hunting. We're thinking after this round we will either go back to our favorites and make a decision, or expand our search radius. There are a lot of nice places in our price range near our current apartment, but the commute to work is longer than we'd like so we wanted to move closer. I guess it will depend on how tomorrow goes!

Have a good weekend everyone!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post

At work they have these bake sales for charity (the one I brought cupcakes for). Today the person bringing the bake sale foods did a total cop-out -- danishes from Costco! I dunno about everyone else, but I feel like a bake sale means you are supposed to bring something homemade. I thought I would gain five pounds just looking at them. Now I'm craving them! Ugh. This carb-a-licious day is going to get more carby because I'm thinking about having half a bagel with some cream cheese for a snack. I'll just tell myself the carbs are providing energy for my workout this evening...
Every year my DD's band hosts a band festival where bands from several states come and compete in a field show. We have lunch for sale (burgers and hot dogs) and we also have a booth with desserts. We ask the parents of the band members to donate cookies, brownies, cupcakes, whatever to the booth. Some parents are so good they even "pre-package" them for us (we sell 2 of each for 50 cents, so we put 2 each in little sandwich bags so the kids can see and touch without getting them dirty). Anyway, every year we end up with the copouts who buy store-bought cookies and cupcakes. Someone even went so far as to buy boxes of Twinkies!!! We have leftover stuff every year and that's okay, but this year, the only stuff leftover was the store bought stuff! Kids KNOW that the good stuff is the homemade stuff! I cringe every year when I have to "thank" the parents who bring the store-bought stuff. IMO, it's just being lazy.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #33  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

The PB battle is still going ok. Haven't eaten from the jar since I made my promise here. I've lost a little weight this week, but I'm not sure why. I'm eating the same stuff. I have been a little under the weather and popping cold medicine like there's no tomorrow, but I haven't changed my diet at all. Lately, I've only been exercising once per week. I'm hoping that will keep my cardiovascular conditioning from deteriorating. My job (I've been there for about a month now) is just so demanding that I feel like I have to go home after work. Unfortunately, I will be skipping my Sat morning work out this week due to my current viral infxn. That might mean 2 weeks without working out! Yikes!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #34  

Height: 5'7"

Tara, Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) will take my weight down a couple pounds after taking it for a couple of days. I don't know if it is mildly dehydrating, but I've been on the stuff enough in the past year, to be reasonably confident of the weight effect. Maybe that is it, but I'll send you good weight vibes anyway.

Got back in my skinny jeans and my eating goes immediately bad. Go figure. But I'm sick again, and always have trouble when I'm feeling badly. I'll try again tomorrow.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:27 AM   #35  

Hi maintainers,

Anne, tara, i hope you'll feel well soon!

I'm doing lots better mentally after figuring out that I was not slipping into depression, I just had a flu bug on top of a heavy jet lag. so I'm still dead tired, but at least I want to do things! No to priorituze, because at present i'm concking out at 2 in the afternoon, so I do not have that much workable hours.

have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:21 AM   #36  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Thanks Anne and Rabbit!

I'm still not perfect this AM, but I'm hoping by Monday I'll be almost back to normal. The medication is helping, but I think Anne is right about the pseudoephedrine in it causing the weight loss. The strange thing is, by some miracle, I hadn't had a cold in 1 1/2 years. In the past, when I didn't take cold medicine as much as I have this time, I would lose weight because I lost my appetite and would eat very little. Now, taking the medicine has kept me feeling well enough to keep a good appetite and keep my normal food intake, but it seems that it's caused me to lose just as much weight. I can't wait until I'm better and can get off of the pills. I'm trying to take only half dosages today. The thing is...they really enabled me to function this week at work, so I'm glad I had some the last few days!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #37  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

I don't know why DH wanted me to eat the M&M, but last night he made me eat a tiny square of a Cadbury bar. Luckly, my medicine makes it taste 'not right' or I would have eaten the whole rest of the large chocolate bar. Like chips, I normally can't stop at one.

Yesterday, we went sailing on Sarasota Bay. It was a beautiful 80 degrees day with a nice breeze. I was able to get by with just my standard lunch and dinner so I'm still 'On Plan'. Did my floor exercises in the am and went for a nice walk with DH after dinner. Later we all went out to a nightclub for dancing. We danced to about 4 long, long songs, but the dance floor was actually too crowded for us to do our swing moves.

Today we're going canoeing. I did break down and have cinamon raison French Toast for breakfast, so I'll try to go lite on lunch. DH is next to me right now eating frozen M&M's and reading the comics. He's such a kid.

Enjoy the weekend!
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I thought I had lost my peanut butter!! I'm thinking DD had it in her room. I searched the pantry and finally decided we were out (one morning I was craving a tortilla, pb and banana). Anyway, the following day, there was the PB!!! I was so excited--as were my dogs. They love PB! They get really jealous when I don't share. I'm going to have to buy some more because we ARE getting low--I'll get enough to share with the dogs. I've found that adding 1/4 cup of Fiber one to my tortilla/banana/PB wrap is really good, too.

Caroline~canoeing--will you be rowing? That'll be great exercise!

Tara~Last week I felt like I was going to come down with a cold. I felt lousy all afternoon! I, too, haven't had a cold for a couple of years and I just dread getting one. Thankfully it must have been some allergic reaction to something in the air because I didn't end up getting sick.

Anne~hope you feel better! Cool that you got back in your skinny jeans, but what's up with the bad eating? Cut it out!!

Rabbit~it's the weekend. Get some much needed sleep so you'll feel better next week!

I guess I've been rather tired myself. I slept in until 7:30 this AM which is unheard of! DH was kind enough to get up and feed the dogs so we'd be in peace for a little morning catnap. I just love waking up, realizing I have no major plans, and then going back to sleep for a while!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hey Robin, post your new workout when you have a moment! It's always fun to get new ideas and shake things up.
Well, Meg, I had fun coming up with a new routine, but I came away dissatisfied with the equipment. My Y has a roomful of Cybex equipment and I don't like it very much. Take the fly machine, for example. After you've adjusted it to fit your height, the side pieces on which you rest your arms still flop around. I would imagine that the reason for that is to provide the maximum flexibility for all users. But for me it proved to be extremely unstable and I couldn't maintain my position or my form. And other things, of course, I like a lot. So, I suppose I should temper my comments ...

Anyway, on Friday morning, this is what I did:

Leg curls
Leg press
Back machine (my book by Frederic Delavier describes these as torso extensions)
Lat pulldowns
Flies
Lateral shoulders raises (had troubling "fitting" this machine too)
Curls
Tricep pushdowns
Seated crunch machine (I don't think this is very effective)
On the mat -- crunches, Pilates 100, bicycle crunches, and what I call glute kicks (you're on all fours and you extend one leg up and behind)
And ... ta da ... 7 modified pushups

I do lots of total-body workouts because 1) I like 'em and 2) I only seem to strength-train twice a week. If I could get there for that 3rd day, I'd do some kind of splits.

I only sort of liked this routine. I haven't seen my PT in awhile and since I have two sessions left in my package with him, I think I'm going to ask him to show me everything he can using cables. I think that would be fun. I also want someone to walk me through dead lifts.

Tomorrow I'll probably do what is my fall-back, brainless free-weight routine (meaning it requires no thought) :

Squats
Lunges
Leg Curls
Chest Press
One armed rows (or maybe seated rows or T-bar rows)
Maybe free-weight flies
Ab machine (you're on your back on this one -- cool machine)
Dumbbell curls
Shoulder presses
Captains chair and then floor work.

I noticed today that I'm developing lovely shoulder muscles. I like that

Off to work today ... big honors convocation at my university. And the weatherman says it's going to be gorgeous .. I'd rather be outside.

Happy Sunday everyone!
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #40  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, I made it back from vacation. Now , I'll try to describe my trip. LOL.

As I had mentioned, we didn't get to leave til Monday morning. I noticed while loading my Expedition that back passenger tire was looking a little worn, but DH thought it would be OK and we could buy new ones when we got home. So, we left and went 45 miles to his friends house to pick up his small fishing boat and drop off our puppy and our little runt puppy. (we took Mama dog with us). When we arrived at David's house, he wasn't home. The only boat there was his huge Pontoon boat (32 foot long). DH hooked this boat to my truck, while I was panicking thinking of pulling that Monster another 65 miles. It was sitting uneven after he hooked it up and then DH noticed that one of the 4 tires on boat trailer was missing. He unhooked the boat and called David to find that David had noticed the flat and had taken the tire to work with him to drop (to be fixed) off about 40 miles away. David was teaching a CPR class so we had to go pick up that tire. We finally got the tire, got back to David's and put it on the boat and were ready to go. I got in the camper to retrieve the puppies and noticed they'd chewed up a foam ice chest and pop, ice and food stuff was all over the floor. GRRRRRRR. So, I cleaned this up. I offered to drive the camper and DH said "since it's our first trip with the camper, I need to drive it and see how it feels". So, I reluctantly pulled the boat. Plan was to just take it slow. About 20 miles into the trip, a big dualy truck passed a semi, passed me and passed DH on the right-hand shoulder of the road. I was so scared and just knew that he would hit me. Then, I thought, OH well, I have full-coverage insurance and if he hits this boat, then I won't have to pull it any further. LOL. We got to the camping grounds after an hr. and a half and it was CLOSED. So, had to go to a different campsite area. After getting there, I told DH that I was scared to death with pulling the MONSTER and couldn't at all see a darn thing behind me. I mentioned that I considered this my Gender Reassignment vacation as I just knew that my jeans were a little snugger Down There after pulling that darn Boat. He just laughed and said that I had done a great job pulling it. I was not impressed. We set everything up and left to go fishing. There was forecasts for rain every day, but although it was windy it never rained. First night, we get back to camp and find we forgot to fill the propane tanks. Luckily we had a small 2 burner electric portable stove to use and plenty of charcoal. So, I charcoaled dinner outside. We went inside, pretty fishing smelling and wanting a hot bath. So, I used 2 huge pots and boiled water to put in our 3 foot long bathtub and added cold and had a bath. Then, did the same for DH. (figuring we could go into town and get propane in the morning). No such luck, no where to buy propane. SO, that is how we bathed all week. LOL.

Day 2, there are 2 different handles for the commode. 1 to flush with and 1 to put a little water in the bowl. I accidentally left the water fill up one pressed down and flooded the bathroom and we had to break down camp and go empty our black water tank. Plus a lot of mopping and clean up.

I did catch a 3 lb. crappie so that is huge for a crappie. We literally caught hundreds of smaller fish. A few nice sized bass. One great big catfish that DH gave to our camper neighbors that were fishing for catfish.

My trip home was quite exciting yesterday. We were in the mountains and had many steep hills to drive down. About halfway home , I was going down a big hill and at the bottom was a rough bridge. The boat actually came off the HITCH and the pontoons skidded to a stop about 200 yards behind my truck. My heart was pounding a million times a minute as my truck wobbled to and fro and almost flipped over. DH was ahead of me and didn't even see it happen. He kept going about 5 miles before he turned around. Poor Molly was scared and barking her head off. I get out of the car and just look at the Monster laying in the middle of the road. 2 guys on motorcycles stop and help DH put it back on the hitch. I wanted to just leave it and DH at the side of the road and take off . LOL. I did get back in and finished driving it to David's house. I told DH right then that I'd NEVER pull a humongous boat again. (One of the cute motor cycle guys was standing there patting me on my back and flirting with me. LOL, I was thinking the back of that cycle was looking pretty dang comfy to me).

We got to David's house and unloaded the boat and he wasn't home. I could only find my puppy and not the runt. We called David and found out that most likely the runt was stolen. It was nowhere to be found. Granted, I hadn't planned on keeping this pup, but it was sad, as I had given this pup to my little grandson. Since David lives on a farm, I had a ton of ticks to pick off my puppy and DH gave her a tick bath when we got home. I stopped for laundry soap on the way to the house and noticed that now my tire didn't just look worn, you could actually see the wire radial sticking out of it. So, to top it all off, I had a flat on my truck about 2 blocks from my house and had to walk with Molly and carry my puppy that weighs a good 25 lbs. as she didn't have a leash on.

I was never so glad in my life to get home alive. I cooked fish for dinner and a good salad. Took a refreshing hot shower and did a bunch of laundry and the dishes. Went to bed by 8PM and woke up at 5AM.

I hope everyone else has a better vacation than I did. The good part was, I cooked the same as I do at home and walked Molly a good 3 miles each day so I actually feel thinner after vacation. Plus, all my size 4 capris from last summer still fit perfectly.

DH spent the whole evening on the computer pricing us a Normal Sized fishing boat. LOL. We notice while unloading the camper and my vehicle that we had left all our fishing poles and tackle boxes in the Monster. LOL.

Last edited by lilybelle; 03-25-2007 at 10:10 AM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #41  
lilybelle

On a really sad note, a police friend of mine and DH's was shot and killed Friday night while helping a woman move out from her estranged boyfriend. Services aren't scheduled yet and I'm sure we'll be going to the funeral. I had worked with his Mother several years as she is a local nurse also.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #42  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

It's the last day of our vacation in Sarasota, Florida. Yes, Allison, we paddled the canoes. It was a lovely trip along a lazy river with mangroves and trees with Spanish Moss hanging down to the water. We saw a few herons but no alligators.

In the afternoon, we went to Siesta Key and did a very long beach walk. The sand is like talcum powder. For dinner, we took my parents out to a favorite hot spot where Doowop Denny was singing oldies. We got one East Coast Swing dance in and my parents did a few slow dances. DH wanted to sneak into another big band dance that was for singles only, but I was exhausted from several days of getting up earlier than I'm used to.

This morning I was able to get my floor exercises in which I wasn't able to do yesterday. DH and I will go for a bike ride before we have to get in the car for the hour and a half drive to the Fort Myers airport. Which I could take this wonderful sunny, 80 degree weather home with me. At least it will be 70 at home on Tuesday.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #43  

Hi maintainers,

Lily- just reading about your vacation exhausted me!

I had a very quiet weekend at home, mowed the grass for the first time his year. It was a gorgeous spring morning out here, and the bulbs are in bloom.

Have a great day,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #44  
Meg

I'm flying by but had to say -

Welcome Back, Lily!

We all missed you bunches and the place just wasn't the same without you.

More later - I'm trying to be useful today.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #45  
lilybelle

Rabbit, I definitely came home exhausted and very glad to be home.

My yard needs mowed too. I'll tackle it tomorrow.

Thanks Meg, it's good to be back. Today is my birthday and my son bought me a new outfit. . He bought a large shirt and size 6 jeans. Both are too big and I'll exchange them for the exact same style without telling him. He was so proud because he'd never picked me out clothes before. He said the size 4 jeans were so tiny that he didn't think they could fit. LOL, I always think the same thing til I put them on.

DD is baking me a Birthday cake so I'll have a piece and be back on my routine tomorrow. My DH will be off work soon. No telling what he'll pick me out for my B-day. I want some white jeans and more button down shirts. I'll go get some for myself if he doesn't buy them for me. LOL.

Last edited by lilybelle; 03-25-2007 at 04:10 PM.